Snow Flakes

Dave70

Reaction score
I don't want to see like a bah-humbug killjoy, but is there a way to make the snow flake background effect optional? I was browsing a number of sites when the fans on my laptop (MacBook Pro) started up. A quick check showed that this site was using huge amounts of CPU time. Closing this site and it all returned to normal.

As it stands now, when typing this post, the animation is suspended and the site is using 6% CPU, when browsing it normally, CPU usage is between 50 and 70%. Since this effect is also seen on an iPad and iPhone, high cpu loads will reduce battery life too.

An option to disable it on the front page or in the user's profile section would be very useful.

Thanks

I have to agree with Dave about the issue above. On my PC with about 10 tabs open and streaming music from the net my PC runs about 10% CPU utilisation. As soon as I come onto here and it starts snowing that rises to about 60%.
It's not a major issue for me as it doesn't slow anything down particularly and It's a tower PC so mains powered.

same here; 12% when the website isn't in focus, as soon as I bring the website into focus and its starts snowing again my CPU ramps upto ~65-70% utilisation

It is actually snowing where I live and I do not need to be reminded of this fact on my computer screen. Plus when viewing photos it is really annoying.

There's a reason this stuff stopped being all over the Internet a few years ago...

Like the new look and don't mind the snow, I own a quattro:yahoo:

Reactions: KrisKrk, 45bvtc and Sandra
The snow is now gone.

Reactions: Dave70
The snow is now gone.

OK, so the snows gone, shame, as I liked it; but I'll be keeping my winter tyres on for now if that's OK, Sandra...
13.gif

Reactions: Sandra
OK, so the snows gone, shame, as I liked it; but I'll be keeping my winter tyres on for now if that's OK, Sandra...
13.gif
Yes you can keep your winter tyres John. :) xx

Reactions: 45bvtc
Miserable gits its Christmas

Reactions: KrisKrk, RAF_S7 and Jake 61
can we please have the mouse trails of footprints too.

Miserable gits its Christmas

I actually liked the effect and would like to see it return, but an unintended consequence of the way it was implemented meant that it took an awful lot of CPU resource to make it work. It was quite fun watching the page in an inspector and seeing the position of each snow flake getting calculated on the fly.

The only thing I hate about Christmas is presence of those hideous sprouts on a plate of what is otherwise, quite a delicious meal.

The only thing I hate about Christmas is presence of those hideous sprouts on a plate of what is otherwise, quite a delicious meal.

Nothing wrong with sprouts, you need sprouts for the finger pulling with the kids.......!

:whistle2:

Reactions: Peter Metcalf, KrisKrk, Sandra and 1 other person