So DPF’s do actually work.

SootySport

Reaction score
This year I changed my air filter and on inspecting it is almost as clean as the new one. In previous years the used air filters had very sooty black stains, now they are clear of the oily black soot.
I can only conclude that DPF’s do actually work.

Attachments

• A1D652E8-E7FF-494E-A663-C61BB3CF5E48.jpeg
    A1D652E8-E7FF-494E-A663-C61BB3CF5E48.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 211
I'm confused.
I thought the DPF filtered exhaust gas which would be nowhere near the airbox, or am I missing something?

Reactions: CHEZ
This year I changed my air filter and on inspecting it is almost as clean as the new one. In previous years the used air filters had very sooty black stains, now they are clear of the oily black soot.
I can only conclude that DPF’s do actually work.

Why is this anything to do with a working DPF? I’m not following what you’re getting at.

I'm confused.
I thought the DPF filtered exhaust gas which would be nowhere near the airbox, or am I missing something?
You’re quite right. It’s the reduction of soot in the atmosphere that passes through the air filter. If DPF equipped cars are are throwing out less soot, then it stands to reason any car will be drawing in less soot to blacken an air filter. I’m surprised no one else has noticed.
Also good for the little children suffering from respiratory ailments in cities, Sadiq Khan was right.

You’re quite right. It’s the reduction of soot in the atmosphere that passes through the air filter. If DPF equipped cars are are throwing out less soot, then it stands to reason any car will be drawing in less soot to blacken an air filter. I’m surprised no one else has noticed.
Also good for the little children suffering from respiratory ailments in cities, Sadiq Khan was right.

Or,
You may have just been following less trucks

Trucks and buses have been cleaned up more than cars in the last couple of years. There is actually a lot more trucks on the roads these days but my air filter tells me they haven’t increased the levels of soot floating about in the atmosphere.
Next time you all change the air filter, try and remember what is was like at the previous years service.

Ah, I see what you are getting at now. I presumed you were referring to a DPF on your own car (another point of confusion as you have a petrol).
Now I know you mean other peoples diesel cars I see what you mean.