So if you ordered your car all over again....

HawkeyeS3

Reaction score
OK, so we all go through the options list and think mmmm that's nice I'll add that. But on reflection now you've bought your Audi and it's spec'd to how you ordered it........so rather than rave about what options you have fitted and how brilliant they are, looking at the converse:

- which options you added that you either regret now/ are disappointed with / don't really use
- which options do you wish you had spec'd but didn't
- which options you thought about but decided not to spec and now having got the car feel you made absolutely the right decision

Views?

Only just picked up mine today and pretty much spec'd everything (including mono pur). However, didn't opt for cruise control. Never used it on my old car, but wonder if I should have got it.

I spent a long time looking at what I wanted and how much I had to play with in terms of budget. I think it paid off as I have a car with everything I wanted and there are no disappointments.
If I was ordering again, it would be the same.

Oh I'm waiting for all the mono.pur jokes to follow :p

I haven't even got mine yet, but knowing if I had gone for Coventry audi to save 3k I would've specced the sunroof, as I always wanted a car with one, but I thought the car was expensive enough with my options so I left it :( ah well.

Might've specced super sport seats at a push aswell, but I think they suit the S3 better.

I'll tell you when I get it! ;) :laugh:

Reactions: David83S3
Thoughts on options I chose:
ACC (when it works) is impressive but ultimately a bit disappointing. In hindsight I would've been happier with regular cruise.
Not convinced about the nappa leather either over alcantara.
The Tech Pack is great but the novelty of Connect has quickly warn off. Don't think I'll bother replacing the data sim when it expires in Jan.
Interior Light Pack is another one which everyone raved about but compared to my old 3Series it's a very harsh light and patchy. The rings round the cup holders are pointless when you are using them and the footwell lights just draw attention to the dirty floor mats.
SLine Suspension is probably an unnecessary trade up over the regularly sport suspension.

Options I now think would've been better:
LED Headlights
High beam assist
Privacy Glass
Roof rails
Heated seats
And controversially .... Beluga paintwork

Options I love:
B&O stereo
Mono.pur
Scuba Blue is a lovely colour and not too common.

Looking back now, I've no idea why I ordered half the things I did!

I spent a long time looking at what I wanted and how much I had to play with in terms of budget. I think it paid off as I have a car with everything I wanted and there are no disappointments.
If I was ordering again, it would be the same.

I'm the same. Spent a long time looking at and test driving various models and if I had to order again I would order exactly the same with the possible except of Hold Assist which I don't use at all.

Would you class an A7 as an option when ordering an A3??:meeting::(:p

Reactions: DommyR
I would of added ILP, B&O and parking sensors with reversing camera.

Happy with everything else I have though.

Oh, and super sports seats

The super sport seats are amazing. I'm a tall guy and they are so comfortable.

In retrospect I wouldn't change anything, perhaps the colour though.

ILP is the only thing I feel I could add. I doubt this will be the case however come summer.

To be honest dont really feel like im missing anything :D

I didn't exactly order mine so can't & perhaps shouldn't complain but the spec was close enough & I only had to wait 2 weeks!

I would however add a few things:

Interior light pack
Keyless :tumble:
Upgraded headlights

Other than that I'm pretty happy.

Happy with the options...but maybe should've added Sat Nav because having a switch there that doesn't do anything is annoying!! On the plus side I could add Sat Nav anytime if it was such a hassle but for £500ish,is really worth it???;)

There a few thing I probably wouldn't bother ordering again...

Through-load facility has been used about 3 times.
Privacy Glass

If I was ordering again I would replace those for the rear camera and maybe consider a different colour, just for a change. Maybe Shiraz or one of the greys.

Auto dipping side mirror. Having only one is annoying. Coming from a TT with both and also having a A1 with neither, I would now prefer to have none rather than just the one. It's just odd having the door mirrors which reflect differently. Only £100 wasted.

I think I'd go for the S-Line rather than the Sport, purely to get xenon headlights and LED rears, I'd stick with my deselection of sports suspension though as I find the ride very comfortable, it doesn't appear 'on stilts' to look at even with the 18s and I've never noticed any excessive roll. Aside from that, all joking aside, I'd probably have mono.pur but that's about it. Tech pack would be a nicety but I absolutely wouldn't pay another £1k to get it.

Our S3 in Australia comes with only a few options, and stuff that you guys have to tick in the UK are standard on our cars, only options were: S Performace pack, Driver assistance pack, folding mirrors, privacy glass, (ticked all those), and ones I didn't ticked were sunroof, load through and rails.

Haven't driven the car on highways yet, so at this stage haven't really used ACC yet, but still happy to have ticked the box for the Driver assistance pack.

I would choose ACC (based on comments here)
And drop Hols Assist (based on the fact that I don't use it)

I think I'd go for the S-Line rather than the Sport, purely to get xenon headlights and LED rears, I'd stick with my deselection of sports suspension though as I find the ride very comfortable, it doesn't appear 'on stilts' to look at even with the 18s and I've never noticed any excessive roll. Aside from that, all joking aside, I'd probably have mono.pur but that's about it. Tech pack would be a nicety but I absolutely wouldn't pay another £1k to get it.
You could always have a Sport with the Xenon's as an option as I did. There are quite a few things in the S-Line pack that I would not want.

The only thing I would change is ACC instead of standard cruise control. I'm really glad I bought the lumbar support option.

Got S-Tronic (DSG) ;)
Didn't get Mono.Pur ;)

say's me chuckling!

B&O I love, but would I pay for it.... not sure! (not listened to any other options, but it's getting harder to add Amps and Upgraded Base to cars these days!)
MMI & Connect..... I only use on occasions.... Regular Nav would be sufficient! But Connect is good when you need it.
Nappa..... I kind of miss the Alcantara from my TT

Things I had on the TTS
I had auto dim mirrors and I don't really miss them
Mag Ride...... way too hard when button pressed!
Auto Lights...... I MISS THIS!

I MISS My Scorpion Exhaust..... It was way easier to clean than the cheep crappy Audi OEM!

Oh I had Mono.Pur on the TTS......... Do I miss It.......?????? ;)

Last edited:
Oh I had Mono.Pur on the TTS......... Do I miss It.......?????? ;)

...but the TT was actually 'extended leather' not mono.pur so a total different kettle of fish

I chose not to have extended leather in my TT as while it was lovely I felt as I had alcantara seats the hexagon look dash parts were more sporty looking to suit.
If I were going for full leather the extended leather would be a no brainer.
I think the mk 3 extended leather is standard

The B&O is seriously good in the S3.
I've got B&O in my RS5 and it's nowhere near the quality of the variant in the S3.

You could always have a Sport with the Xenon's as an option as I did. There are quite a few things in the S-Line pack that I would not want.
Same here.

I didn't want the body kit, dark headlining and 18" wheels so went for the sport instead.

Go for mag ride to cope with our rubbish uk tarmac. The ride was so uncompromising without it I've sold the S3 after 8 months snd bought an A3 S-line. Less power but more comfortable for everyday use.

The beauty of ticking almost every option box is I have no regrets regarding specification. I did omit mag ride, however I am going to fit coilovers at some point.

It would have been nice to have 19" wheels but there still aren't any nice looking ones available from the factory...

No regrets other than perhaps should have gone for the S-Tronic. Would keep the rest of the spec the same.

I basically had this opportunity with my current car - having had one of the first 8Vs from Sep 2012 and, with a similar budget, I had the chance to order the same again but changing certain things.

The result? - Added two doors and a boot, changed from diesel to petrol and added Connect and mono.pur. This time it's pretty much perfect :)

Given the choice again I would dispense with the S-tronic gearbox (hateful - having come from a B8 S4 manual saloon) and in its place I would opt for a sound system upgrade. All other options I would definitely spec again: -
  • Super Sports Seats.
  • Comfort Pack.
  • Silver paint.
  • Basic SD card Nav.
  • Folding mirrors.
  • Interior Light pack.
  • Black inlays.

Missed high beam assist of the spec list and that's about it.

Depends on how good it is though as reading reviews it's a mixed bag.

Really? I think High Beam Assist is the dogs doo dahs!! Can't think of anything to complain about. It just works perfectly all the time.

Reactions: glospete
S line 1.4 cod. I didn't want to wait months for a factory order and the risk of being hammered on the p/ex. My absolute requirements were the engine, rear sensors and SE suspension, ideally in Sport trim. Dealer found a stock S line with my spec plus auto lights and wipers. 5 months and 5k miles later, I'm happy with my choice - but if I could have something extra it would probably be cruise control. Slightly disappointed with what I've read on here about ACC, so I'd probably opt for basic CC given the choice. Apart from regulating speed in 50 mph road works sections of motorways, it would stop the ****** thing running away with me at high speed! I try to keep to 80 mph on motorways, but if I don't keep a regular check it creeps up to 90/95 and I don't even notice. I find this a really remarkable engine.

- which options you added that you either regret now/ are disappointed with / don't really use

Advanced Key, Pre Sense Basic, maybe Red Calipers

- which options do you wish you had spec'd but didn't

Titanium rather than silver 10 spokes.

- which options you thought about but decided not to spec and now having got the car feel you made absolutely the right decision

Magnetic Ride

Various assist functions (Lane Assist etc)

Didn't spec mine but it was 95% as I would have myself:

3dr manual
B&O
Black styling
SS Seats
Privacy glass
Interior light pack
Comfort pack
Phantom black

If ordering again would drop interior light pack and comfort pack, and just go for light and rain sensors to save a few quid a month. Probably go for Daytona or Sepang (we're not available on MY14 cars)