SO MANY CHIPS-I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO CHOOSE

Chapman393

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post so go easy on me. I have a 2001 S4 with hardly any mods. I have stop tech brakes and ssr 18 inch wheels. I want to chip my car but I can't seem to choose one. I deal with Istook racing in Fort Worth Texas and they say REVO is the only chip to use.
I have looked at MTM, AMS, GIAC and REVO.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

APR, GIAC, and Revo are the top contenders. Revo is the new kid on the block and comes from a history with APR (now a legal mess).

The two top recognized chips are APR and GIAC; they are tops mostly because of their reputation, service, and volume of sales. There are a few other good chips out there; they just have a tough time competing with the marketing of APR and GIAC.

APR is known for its smooth powerband (albeit a bit conservative) and some nice bells and whistles. Their business has grown and they do other modifications that "complement" each other.

GIAC is known for cutting edge performance. They do nothing but make chips. Their chips are known for all out kick *** performance. They just recently got on board with some nice bells and whistles added to their chips.

Revo is a whole new concept in remapping - they are the new hot shots in the chip tuning business. Their technical work seems to be solid and they are gaining a fan base rapidly. The initial performance numbers are good, too.

My best advice is to find the closest tuner in your area that does one of these three remaps. It is more important that you have access to service if something were to go wrong.

Thanks bro I appreciate you advice. Looks like I am going to have to go with revo.

Be sure to upgrade your TBB and DV's; a chip will put more stress on these parts.

And get the latest OE coolant sensor switch and replace it yourself... $5 and 5 minutes.

If you need a tech article on how to do the swap, click here. It's for the A4, so the location is different, you won't need the tools listed, and the install time is way off (it will take 5 minutes), but the procedure is identical.

I'm also investigating this type of modding pretty intensively. It seems that many of them are done best when you can go to a chip 'dealer' for the installation and tuning. In the vast expanses of the USA, it's tough to find which ones are supported locally. I've only found APR (supported by GMP performance, of Charlotte, NC) and UPsolute (also in Charlotte, NC).

I'm very interested in being able to do fine tuning via laptop without having to be at a chip dealer. The only chip that I've seen that is approaching any real end user adjustability is GIAC.

UPsolute is the least expensive, at around $300 while APR and GIAC are nearly double that.