So many problems since buying the rs3

jonnyj

Reaction score
IMG 0842
IMG 0840
I've only had my rs3 around 6 months from new(factory order) and the car is the best car I've had" but the problems that come with this brand of car!

I had my house broken into twice over Christmas and people just stopping and eyeing up my car at all hours! The police coming round my house telling me there has bean reports of guys hanging around looking suspicious on my street" not to mention **** heads trying to race me and tail gate me everywhere!

I've had to replace all my locks twice and they pinched my dads keys ( who is 71 and disabled ) but could not start car because you have to press a certain switch to move gas pedal to normal side! But still had to have new keys from kia"

Is it all worth it?

Roughly where do you live? Never had a problem with mine in 2.5 yrs of ownership.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Roughly where do you live? Never had a problem with mine in 2.5 yrs of ownership.

TX.

I'm just outside Wolverhampton in the West Midlands mate" I don't get it because I had a new bmw m4 comp with the full works on that car" and a new Mercedes c63 amg coupe before the bmw" no problems with those cars on drive or just twats trying to race and that"

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a 'something' surrounding the RS3. Thankfully we do not have the petty car crime that you guys experience and generally high end cars get no more than a passing glance and in general, a nod of respect. But the RS3 for some odd reason seems to be the bad boy in the pack attracting lots of attention for nothing more than its reputation.

Audi S and RS cars are extremely sought after unfortunately.

Think it may be the smaller size and people knowing they are AWD that makes them high on the pinch list? The Audi dealer I spoke to before picking car up from him did wish me luck and said he had a few customers that had, had their rs3's taken from the drive!

This is really unfortunate mate. Do you have a cam in your driveway? I'm just on the process of trying to find a good wireless one for this exact reason.

I've put a big yellow stoplock on the steering wheel which is just a deterrent to the casual thieve. That coupled with not having keyless entry gives me a little bit of piece of mind but the number of horror stories seems to be increasong

Many threads on this subject in the archives. Visible deterrents reckoned to be the best first line defence and keep heys well away from letter boxes and for a keyless car, in a faraday cage protector.

Many threads on this subject in the archives. Visible deterrents reckoned to be the best first line defence and keep heys well away from letter boxes and for a keyless car, in a faraday cage protector.
In the A4 you can turn off keyless open.

TX.

I would never have an RS car without a garage. Leaving one on a drive is inviting trouble. Mine is kept out of sight at all times. Not even for 10 minutes is it left outside except when I wash it. High security rollor shutter doors with remote control. I drive in and out like the Batmobile in the Batcave with the door starting its decent before I've even fully driven past it. It's sad but it's what you have to do if you want something as nice as an RS.

Reactions: CHEZ, jaysrs4, FBF01 and 3 others
This is really unfortunate mate. Do you have a cam in your driveway? I'm just on the process of trying to find a good wireless one for this exact reason.

I've put a big yellow stoplock on the steering wheel which is just a deterrent to the casual thieve. That coupled with not having keyless entry gives me a little bit of piece of mind but the number of horror stories seems to be increasong
No, not got a cam" don't think it would stop these guys because they come with masks" yes I think my next car will not have keyless entry! Think a huge dog would be the best bet as these people don't care about cameras or the police.

Retroman" lot of younger Asian guys around where I live and most drive older audi or vw golfs! Think that's where the problems are coming from"

I had my car on autotrader and got" over 3000 views 22 phone call that only 2 was white guys" Had 2 of the guys wont to meet up with me somewhere at 9 o clock at night ! yah right!!! also had offers of 32k and 40k and a swop for a 64 plate audi rs6 with only 85k on clock and 16 carefull owners :wtf:

Reactions: JamesBaby, FBF01 and jimojameso
I would never have an RS car without a garage. Leaving one on a drive is inviting trouble. Mine is kept out of sight at all times. Not even for 10 minutes is it left outside except when I wash it. High security rollor shutter doors with remote control. I drive in and out like the Batmobile in the Batcave with the door starting its decent before I've even fully driven past it. It's sad but it's what you have to do if you want something as nice as an RS.

I do the same. Never leave the car outside unless washing or working on it. :(

Reactions: Enbarr, zippster and AudiNutta
I think car crime (especially breaking into houses for the keys) has massively increased this last year in the UK - there was a 'watchdog' program on the TV about it recently - unfortunately there seems to be a big market for both car parts and cars (to be shipped out of the UK) and that is driving these thefts. Unfortunately I don't have garage space to keep the RS3 out of sight, so I have it on the driveway, but I have had steel posts put in the drive, and keep a disclok on the car at night as well. I also have several 4k CCTV cameras covering the driveway, and floodlights that beep in the house when movement is detected, house alarm is always on at night, which includes vibration sensors on all windows and doors. I've also changed all my house locks to the highest security anti-snap/bump/drill/pick locks - let's just hope I never lock myself out!!! I think the guys that keep theirs out of sight are right, if I had garage space I would do the same.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I think car crime (especially breaking into houses for the keys) has massively increased this last year in the UK - there was a 'watchdog' program on the TV about it recently - unfortunately there seems to be a big market for both car parts and cars (to be shipped out of the UK) and that is driving these thefts. Unfortunately I don't have garage space to keep the RS3 out of sight, so I have it on the driveway, but I have had steel posts put in the drive, and keep a disclok on the car at night as well. I also have several 4k CCTV cameras covering the driveway, and floodlights that beep in the house when movement is detected, house alarm is always on at night, which includes vibration sensors on all windows and doors. I've also changed all my house locks to the highest security anti-snap/bump/drill/pick locks - let's just hope I never lock myself out!!! I think the guys that keep theirs out of sight are right, if I had garage space I would do the same.
It is a shame it has to be like this and I do sometimes wonder if it is worth it. Damn that 5-cylinder noise!

Reactions: jonnyj, AudiNutta and c4pete
No not got cam" don't think it would stop these guys because they come with masks" yes I think my next car will not have keyless entry! Think a huge dog would be the best bet as these people don't care about cameras or the police

A camera isn’t going to stop a determined thief and yes they will undoubtedly have their faces covered but I would still strongly recommend getting one as sometimes what it captures can prove to be invaluable as I’ve recently discovered.

The ‘Ring wireless floodlight cam’ would be a good choice. I won’t go into too much detail as you will find everything you need to know online, but what I will say it that it’s fantastic all round, the infra-red night vision is the best I’ve seen, has a great app which runs fast and the unit is very simple to install and even easier to setup. They typically retail for around £250 but when on offer can be had as cheap as £149, worth every penny at even full retail. All recordings are automatically uploaded to the cloud with 30 days history and Ring have the cheapest cloud plan for unlimited recording at only £25 a year. Compare that with some of their competition, ‘Nest’ £240 a year and ‘Hive’ a crazy £360 a year! You also get free theft protection for as long as you own the camera, if after installation the camera got stolen by someone ripping it off (not easy done), Ring will send you out a replacement for free!

In the A4 you can turn off keyless open.

TX.

You can do the same with the FL A3/RS. I deactivate the keyless entry every night, much better than using a faraday pouch.

Reactions: sve170
A camera isn’t going to stop a determined thief and yes they will undoubtedly have their faces covered but I would still strongly recommend getting one as sometimes what it captures can prove to be invaluable as I’ve recently discovered.

The ‘Ring wireless floodlight cam’ would be a good choice. I won’t go into too much detail as you will find everything you need to know online, but what I will say it that it’s fantastic all round, the infra-red night vision is the best I’ve seen, has a great app which runs fast and the unit is very simple to install and even easier to setup. They typically retail for around £250 but when on offer can be had as cheap as £149, worth every penny at even full retail. All recordings are automatically uploaded to the cloud with 30 days history and Ring have the cheapest cloud plan for unlimited recording at only £25 a year. Compare that with some of their competition, ‘Nest’ £240 a year and ‘Hive’ a crazy £360 a year! You also get free theft protection for as long as you own the camera, if after installation the camera got stolen by someone ripping it off (not easy done), Ring will send you out a replacement for free!

You can do the same with the FL A3/RS. I deactivate the keyless entry every night, much better than using a faraday pouch.

Tell me more, not even aware this can be done on the FL RS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure you can't turn it off in the FL. I saw a lot of people saying the button on the inside of the door does it! but this is to do with the alarm when you lock the car with someone waiting inside apparently.

Tell me more, not even aware this can be done on the FL RS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Press the lock button on the key fob and within 5 seconds of doing that touch the keyless sensor on the door handle, voila! You'll see the led for the alarm (in the door trim) blink really fast momentarily indicating the keyless entry has been disabled. When you press on the unlock button on the fob, it will again reactivate the keyless entry. Better peace of mind than using a faraday.

Reactions: sve170
Does this disable keyless start also?

I think I know where you're going with that question. A would-be thief not concerned about making noise could break the glass on the door and use signal booster equipment to start the car. I can rule this out as being possible and it seems the keyless start is also deactivated. The way I went about in establishing this is by opening the driver side window whilst sat in the car and then reached out with the key on the outside which then allows you to lock the car and disable the keyless entry as above, I then brought the key back inside of the car and tried the keyless start but would not even turn the ignition on. Only way it would start again is by first unlocking the car from the fob.

Reactions: D0C
What a palaver this keyless entry rubbish is IMHO.

I like the engine start button, but surely they can do this without the need for keyless.

In all honesty keyless entry is a waste of money and far more trouble than its worth.

Reactions: AudiNutta
They wouldn't know though Doc as the doors simply won't open with keyless entry disabled eg no plip of the alarm etc.

TX.

I maybe being stupid but if you disable keyless start how would you start the car there is no ignition for a key ?

I like the engine start button, but surely they can do this without the need for keyless.

In all honesty keyless entry is a waste of money and far more trouble than its worth.

If you really think about it and take some proactive measures to stay one step ahead of the criminals, keyless cars can be less of a security risk than those without, especially in instances of carjacking/mugging. I won’t reveal how so on this open forum but if anyone cares to know, I’m happy to share with any long standing forum members via PM.

Reactions: sve170 and teslaboy
I maybe being stupid but if you disable keyless start how would you start the car there is no ignition for a key ?

As explained above, after you've disabled keyless entry the only way to enable it again is by pressing on the unlock button on the key fob, thus when you enter the car and press the start button, the engine will fire up. You can also use the actual key to unlock the door but this itself will not reactivate the keyless start. Each time you want to disable the keyless entry/start, you have to do the above procedure. I only need to do this once each night when I'm finished for the day.

Reactions: Terminator x, sve170 and JamesBaby

Yep it’s not worth it, start button would be pretty annoying after having to put the key in the ignition.

It was great when I had a 24 hour demo with the button, a cool feature but not one id ever consider for my own car. I broke down the comfort pack into separate options to make sure I didn’t have advanced key, can’t say it’s annoyed me at any point yet or even crossed my mind just peace of mind.

Not sure why they don't offer the optional system on the new TT, no keyless entry but keyless start. So you open the car with a press of the key fob, and once the key is in the car you have keyless start.

Land Rover came up with an innovative way to stop the problem of thieves boosting the signal of keyless entry fobs by having a motion sensor in the fob, so when it's not moved for a period of time (i.e. it's in a drawer or hung up in a coat pocket) it stops transmitting. Other manufacturers need to implement something similar to close this flaw in their cars security system. I'm quite happy not to have advanced key on my RS3 - I've had it before on other audis, but I don't miss it at all.

Reactions: CHEZ, FBF01, infernox and 1 other person
Land Rover came up with an innovative way to stop the problem of thieves boosting the signal of keyless entry fobs by having a motion sensor in the fob, so when it's not moved for a period of time (i.e. it's in a drawer or hung up in a coat pocket) it stops transmitting. Other manufacturers need to implement something similar to close this flaw in their cars security system. I'm quite happy not to have advanced key on my RS3 - I've had it before on other audis, but I don't miss it at all.

Yeah its strange how the manufacturers don't apply the some coordinated thinking i.e standardisation.

Its almost as if they want your car to get knicked, or at least a proportion of them.
Conspiracy theorists....

last year I was about to purchase a new RS3, had my heart set on it.
Two days before going to order it a chap at the gym had his taken - they put a knife to his elderly mothers throat for the keys.
That story still haunts me to this day.

Ended up going for a 335d xdrive - looks just like a sales rep 318d to the common passerby.

Still have a sweet spot for the RS3 but wouldn’t want to own one in this country sadly.

Reactions: wab172uk, Bells, FBF01 and 3 others
I have keyless with my RS. Mine is not used on a daily basis so is parked in garage with the wife’s car parked in front on a night. I also have the ghost immobiliser which is a great product and key is left in a faraday pouch. The only way to get my car away is to break into my house and get the code from me. If it was to get to this point then I think I would just hand the code over as not worth the risk with family at home

As daft as this may sound, I can't picture a scenario where having Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser would be helpful for those with keyless and actually consider it nothing more than an unnecessary inconvenience by having to press a sequence of buttons each time to start the car and a waste of £400 (at least for me). My view is that if a gang of car thieves breaks into your house threatening you/family for the keys, it would be naive to think they won't know about AWG and will just call it a day and leave after they can't start the car, no, they are coming straight back through that door and one way or the other you will likely be forced to reveal the code, so all it's done is prolonged the distress to you and your family.

With a bit of thought, keyless on its own can be used to your advantage in so many different ways! You can so easily outwit a thieve, think (late Paul Daniels) prop and decoy!

Reactions: CHEZ
As daft as this may sound, I can't picture a scenario where having Autowatch Ghost Immobiliser would be helpful for those with keyless and actually consider it nothing more than an unnecessary inconvenience by having to press a sequence of buttons each time to start the car and a waste of £400 (at least for me). My view is that if a gang of car thieves breaks into your house threatening you/family for the keys, it would be naive to think they won't know about AWG and will just call it a day and leave after they can't start the car, no, they are coming straight back through that door and one way or the other you will likely be forced to reveal the code, so all it's done is prolonged the distress to you and your family.

With a bit of thought, keyless on its own can be used to your advantage in so many different ways! You can so easily outwit a thieve, think (late Paul Daniels) prop and decoy!
They don't generally break in though Nad, you just hear of a few horror stories in the paper. Most thefts now are the easy ones where the key range is extended. Even if they had the key the car won't start and may just be broken before you say "ah they will just come back for the code" ;)

TX.

exactly, hardly a waste of £400. Car already came with ghost and tracker.

Sorry but i dont see it.
How can keyless be an advantage?