So many problems since buying the rs3

Back in the day, before all this keyless mullarky and breaking into houses, (vecta immobilisers, multi locks etc) the RS cosworth era, they used to just tow cars away with a dolley or a tow truck.
Times have changed, for a nasty change of tactics.
Car security means nothing if they just make you give up the goods.
I was wanting an Rs3 as my next car, not so no more.
It is just not worth the paranoia and stress.
I shall be rethinking my next car, and it won't be a 4 door small inconspicuous rocket that is uber desirable.
Sad, as I really liked the Rs3.

I lived through the 80s with a Sierra Cosworth so I guess I'm used to the 'stress' of owning an awesome machine - it still is totally worth it though, lovin' owning the RS3

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goner, AudiNutta, sve170 and 1 other person
They don't generally break in though Nad, you just hear of a few horror stories in the paper. Most thefts now are the easy ones where the key range is extended. Even if they had the key the car won't start and may just be broken before you say "ah they will just come back for the code" ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

You got that the wrong way round, break-ins for car keys is far from a few and is more like epidemic. I've been a victim of two recent attempts which I thwarted and the detectives that came to investigate who are part of a team currently tasked with investigating the alarming rise of car thefts said more than half of thefts are carried out by intruders, usually organised criminals, breaking into premises to steal the car keys and that other methods are increasing but still not as common or as easy as the media make you believe.

The point I'm making, since it's easy to deactivate the keyless entry/start system when required on all FL Audi's (I’ve been doing it from day one since ownership) and to do so is I'd say less cumbersome than using AWG, then you've already countered any chance of the car being stolen by signal relay. So the question is in what other circumstances can AWG offer protection? The only thing I can think of is if the car keys got stolen or you was forced to hand them over then a thief won't be able to start the car without the code. But the same can be achieved without AWG. If my car keys got stolen ;);), even if I was overpowered and taken by force, no one is going to be able to start the car and possibly not even open the doors ;) and it requires no modifications or installation of any other devices. If you allow your car to be used by others, spouse etc., then I see some benefit from AWG.

Not sure why they don't offer the optional system on the new TT, no keyless entry but keyless start. So you open the car with a press of the key fob, and once the key is in the car you have keyless start.

For around £20 member @DJAlix can permanently disable the keyless entry whilst still retaining keyless start, which of course you would need to start the car.

I agree with the others seeing as this is a real problem for you. I would recommend:

- Car Cover
I would even consider getting a branded one with a car manufacturer no one wants to steal. It won’t stop those that know what your car is but will be less interesting to those who come by.

- Secturity Cameras
I would put outside cameras and a doorbell camera. I would recommend Nest myself as I love them. One thing you do want is something cloud based that is ALWAYS recording (nest does this, ring does not). That way even if they don’t come near your car you can see them. I would probably recommend a motion activated flood light AND nest cameras myself. But whatever you decide to go for its important they are easy to see and obvious. You do NOT want local recording as that can be stolen.

- In car cameras
I would also suggest a front and rear recording dash camera that is always recording and connected to your battery like blackvue do. For the same reason. It discourages dodgy individuals and may even capture them in the act so the police can arrest them.

- Signs
I would suggest putting some CCTV stickers on the front of your house; again to discourage.

- Wireless Blocking Case
I don’t personally feel like turning off keyless is something to do. You love your car. You can manually turn off keyless by pressing the lock button and touching the door handle (check the manual). This case would provide extra protection.

I don’t know if I would go for an immobiliser personally. I have read enough threads on here of them doing something wrong and messing up the car. But if you feel that is a deterrent then great too.

Do you have a gate in front of your home? If not a fence/gate might be worth going for to add an extra barrier.

Back in the day, before all this keyless mullarky and breaking into houses, (vecta immobilisers, multi locks etc) the RS cosworth era, they used to just tow cars away with a dolley or a tow truck.
Times have changed, for a nasty change of tactics.
Car security means nothing if they just make you give up the goods.
I was wanting an Rs3 as my next car, not so no more.
It is just not worth the paranoia and stress.
I shall be rethinking my next car, and it won't be a 4 door small inconspicuous rocket that is uber desirable.
Sad, as I really liked the Rs3.
I had no trouble with my RS3 and again none with the RS4. Unfortunately it seems to be a postcode thing.

Both debadged though which maybe / perhaps makes a difference?

TX.

Reactions: sve170
You got that the wrong way round, break-ins for car keys is far from a few and is more like epidemic. I've been a victim of two recent attempts which I thwarted and the detectives that came to investigate who are part of a team currently tasked with investigating the alarming rise of car thefts said more than half of thefts are carried out by intruders, usually organised criminals, breaking into premises to steal the car keys and that other methods are increasing but still not as common or as easy as the media make you believe.

The point I'm making, since it's easy to deactivate the keyless entry/start system when required on all FL Audi's (I’ve been doing it from day one since ownership) and to do so is I'd say less cumbersome than using AWG, then you've already countered any chance of the car being stolen by signal relay. So the question is in what other circumstances can AWG offer protection? The only thing I can think of is if the car keys got stolen or you was forced to hand them over then a thief won't be able to start the car without the code. But the same can be achieved without AWG. If my car keys got stolen ;);), even if I was overpowered and taken by force, no one is going to be able to start the car and possibly not even open the doors ;) and it requires no modifications or installation of any other devices. If you allow your car to be used by others, spouse etc., then I see some benefit from AWG.
The point I'm making is that I personally know not a single person subject to either break in theft of the car or the keyless thing but I do see it in the papers. It is far from common imho and surely the "easy option" of not breaking in will be their first choice. AWG is a 2nd line of defence if the first fails for some reason eg in your example you forget to turn off auto open doors.

TX.

- Secturity Cameras
I would put outside cameras and a doorbell camera. I would recommend Nest myself as I love them. One thing you do want is something cloud based that is ALWAYS recording (nest does this, ring does not). That way even if they don’t come near your car you can see them. I would probably recommend a motion activated flood light AND nest cameras myself. But whatever you decide to go for its important they are easy to see and obvious. You do NOT want local recording as that can be stolen.

I like some Nest products (have their wireless carbon monoxide detector and thermostat) but not so much their outdoor cameras. You can’t take Nest serious when their entry level outdoor camera is marketed as a security cam but with a major flaw as they obviously forgot the security part. Who at Nest thought it was a good idea to design a camera which attaches outside by only a magnet and with exposed wiring? :tearsofjoy: With Nest you need to drill new holes into your property as it uses a standard UK plug which is unsightly, the Ring just replaces any existing security light/wiring. Nest IQ isn’t worth the money IMO, Ring has everything the Nest has and more. 'The Ring floodlight cam' as the name suggests has low power yet powerful dual LED security light (motion/switch/timer activated) and camera implemented into one, so no need for the two separate. Ring subscription is just £25 a year for 30 days worth of recordings vs Nest £240 a year. It would be money better spent to have your own NAS system with cloud feature if you wanted for around half what Nest charges and allowing you to use a better camera setup. Ring are due to make available a 24/7 recording package, but I consider that as wasteful bandwidth hogging. Motion only recording is sufficient as you only need to playback an incident and as it's always recording it will save 10 seconds before and after any motion is detected and detection zone is customisable to the entire field of view of the camera so you're not going to miss a thing. If 24/7 recording really matters, you can record to your hearts content in live view without having to pay anything more, just open up the app on a tablet that will remain plugged in and disable screen lock that way not only will you get continuous recording but it will also act as a CCTV monitor which many homes use so you can instantly view the goings-on around your house.

The perpetrators are mostly wanting the keys so they can restart the car after they’ve abandon it for a short while waiting to see if it gets recovered by any tracking devices it might have. They will then most likely ship the car abroad to be sold, which is a quicker turnaround and more money for them than immediately taking to a chop shop to be stripped for parts which seems to be what happens when it’s taken without the keys.

Forgive my ignorance if I am wrong here, but,
Wireless cameras that upload footage to a cloud via an Internet connection, don't they require a telephone line in most cases?
So chopping your phone cable as it enters your house pretty much flaws this system.
Am I correct?
If so then a solid state type of recording medium makes more sense imo.
If said villains would go to the trouble of removing a hard drive, then similarly destroying a phone/Internet connection either in or out of the property is pretty easy.
Just something to think about

Wireless cameras that upload footage to a cloud via an Internet connection, don't they require a telephone line in most cases?
So chopping your phone cable as it enters your house pretty much flaws this system.
Am I correct?
If said villains would go to the trouble of removing a hard drive, then similarly destroying a phone/Internet connection either in or out of the property is pretty easy.

To do cctv properly you need a dedicated recording box which is hidden/locked away somewhere with its own back up power. If a professional thief is about to attempt break in, they will cut phone and power. With newer houses having meters in outside boxes the latter is too easy - literally open the meter box and flip the main switch.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Am I correct?

Yes, you're right with that statement that if your internet is cut from the outside then it will render a cloud based CCTV useless, but there are ways which can help prevent this. When I got Virgin Media installed many years ago, I got the engineer to take the cable across a part of the property that is not easily accessible and very obscure for anyone to see it coming through into the property, I did this as I was conscious of how easy it would be for someone to sabotage the line otherwise. I did the same with my new BT line after some gentle persuasion with the engineer. I have a phoney Virgin Media line coming from the ground including box (and old BT line) that is in clear view on the side of the property so they would cut this thinking they have disabled my internet. The real line is well hidden even from the roadside, covered over with tarmac and no way is anyone going to find this, especially in the dead of night when crime is more prevalent.

There are other things you can do combat this, where possible, ask a neighbours permission if you can piggyback their wireless solely for the camera uploading’s to the cloud (most modern routers have guest access that allows you to set your own password so you don’t need to share any personal information) and perhaps you can return the favour. So if anyone coming for your car has intentions to cut your line, you’re at least safe in the knowledge that it’s not going interrupt the operation of the camera. Data allowance permitting you can also connect your camera to a 4G router instead. Yes, they could use signal jamming equipment but I don’t think they would anticipate this and sometimes not even that effective.

I also have a UPS for my router and one for the camera so if the power ever fails, it will continue to work for many hours after.

No system is 100% robust/reliable even one fully hardwired direct to DVR, there is only so much you can do but having something there will always be better than having nothing.

Reactions: CHEZ
24/7 is important here. He needs to see when people are hanging around - motion sensors have a range so the people after his car could well be just out of range loitering and having a camera always recording will alert him to that.

As for internet being cut off - it doesn’t matter as they would have already been recorded getting into the house - and its still better than someone stealing local footage as they will have been caught red handed.

As for the cost of a Nest subscription - in this situation here I would imagine he would want that always recording for the reasons I said and peace of mind.

There are always alternatives but you need to decide what’s most important to you.