some quick questions

Tequie

Reaction score
Hi all, just got my '98 A3 1.8T 8L Audi, actually a downgrade from a V8 Holden Calais that was chewing up too much fuel everyday (I do 100kms / 65 miles per day driving). I also needed desperatelly to get back into a manual that actually likes going around corners. I chose the A3 based on my brother's recommendation. So far so good, a bit heavy on the steering and the turbo is a tad too touchy but it's fun to drive and looooves corners!!

A couple of quick questions,

1. Looks like I have some form of display between the tacho and speedo but nothing comes up there. Is there some way to check if I actually do have something that should work? I read up the posts on enhanced DIS but I dont want to spend any more money right now.

2. should I be resetting the computer? ie. does the computer analyse driving patterns and adjust anything based on that (which means I should reset so it forgets the other person's driving habbits).

3. what's the plug thingy under the ashtray? Is that the link to the computer?

4. the clutch is a tad hard so is the steering. Is this normal or should I be servicing them? The car has done 95k kms (60k miles?) and has done the 90k service.

Ohh and merry christmas and happy new year to you all

Tequie

hi you should have a button on the underside of the wiper stalk which resets or turns the dis on or off , toggled by long and short pushes
so it might just be turned off
yes the port under ash tray is the diagnostic port
sorry cant help on the heavy steering
christmas greetings to you :beerchug:

thanks, I looked for this but I dont seem to have a switch in the wiper stalk. Could it be my model doesn't have any display there? Or is the switch somewhere else? Remember it's a '98 A3 1.8 Turbo. I would love to see fuel usage, turbo boost, etc.