Some S3 questions?

Oli.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am in the market for a new S3 and would like some questions answered please?

My last three cars are - MKV GTI - REVO 250BHP, MKV R32, and 335dMSPORT 350BHP,lowered etc.

I love my 335D, but I need to free up some money and I love hot hatches. I love the 4wd of the R32 and the Turbo unit in the GTI. I am thinking that an S3 might be a good mix of both, however;

a) When I test drove one 18 months ago I found the steering quite vague, is this still the same, and is there anything suspension wise to cure it??

b) I will get it mapped, probably APS - How are the best mappers out there, and what economy should I exepct - rough 70% town,30% open roads?

c) I want to upgrade to 19" wheels, and have done a search on here, is there a sepcific wheel thread - I dont want copies

Many thanks in advance

Oh and my spec is;

white
cruise
black optics
sun protect glass
BOSE
interior light pack
auto lights and wipers
flat bottom wheel
lumber support
Centre armrest and bluetooth
DVD nav - but probably fit it afterwards

Is there anything Im missing and is it worth paying extra for the two tone leather?

Oh and does anyone know when the facelift is out?

Hello and welcome.

Facelift of the current A3 is due for the summer, but changes will really only be the front and rear light clusters. But that doesn't mean the S3 will be in the line up initially.

Hiya mate, i'd test drive one again before you put your order in .

I think the steering is fine , i wouldn't call it vague , it's a bit light , but most modren cars are , it gets heavier the faster you go, it's not raw tho, on the Leon Cupra mk 2 that i had you could stiffen up the steering! ( i can't remember if it was from the dealer or Vagcom )

GIAC and Revo seem to be the map's for most people! 300-315bhp with 300-320lbft the going rate.

Theres no wheel thread, 19's look great , but they will have a detrimental affect on the handling and comfort of the car!

Thanks

p

I got one for a few days, hopefully next week, so I can confirm my thoughts

Steering is Japanese minicab light when parking but does weight up quite quickly.

Can't imagine it's that different to a MKV GTI / R32 though isn't it the same system?

My Leon Cupra R was like it had no power assistance by comparison but at speed I can't say it feels much different.

phantom said:
on the Leon Cupra mk 2 that i had you could stiffen up the steering! ( i can't remember if it was from the dealer or Vagcom )
Steering assist is adjustable for older mkv cars, but the last i heard they disabled the adjustment for new (2007 on) cars. It's a shame, as I found the steering assist on the S3 a little too light when slow.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A3_%288P%29_Steering_Assist

HI Oli -

Best remap - well I had the Superchip map and cant complain - very good results compared to stock. I have also driven a car done by RSD in Daventry and would also reccommend that as it was a very good drive.

Regards spec -

Interior light pack - never had this and didnt miss it - never saw the point.
Lumbar support - As above

In Fact I'd be tempted to skip optics pack as well and go for upgrade seats.

Cant do the upgrade seats, two young sons!!!

Right, its all ordered and my final spec is;

Ibis White
Black Optics Pack
Privacy Glass
BOSE
Black/Crimson Leather
Cruise
Sunband
Reversible Boot Mat
Electric Lumber Support
Phone Prep in Armrest
Interior Light Pack
PDC
Auto Lights and Wipers
Flat Tyre Warning Indicator
No Smoking Pack
Flat Bottom MFSW

I have decided to fit a Dension IPOD kit,so I can have full control over my music. And after a week in a S3, I have decided that Im going to keep the standard suspension and wheels, as I feel the ride is just perfect and any lower will make it too hard for my liking. (But this will be the first car in many that I havent altered anything, wheels and suspension wise!!!) It will of course be having the obligitory re-map, courtesy of APS, who are also going to change the suspension alignment to make it less prone to understeer

The wait begins.....

have they given you a delivery date ? I bet the wait killing you !

April, the time will fly by no doubt, and Im still driving my 335D, so no worries.

UPDATE

Sold my 335D yesterday, so phoned the dealer today to see how the build schedule on my S3 is going??? It was supposed to be week 12 build, which would have meant mid to end of April for delivery. To my surprise it has moved up a couple of weeks to week 10 build!! Which means I should have it by the last week in march, at the latest, which is really good timing as Im off that week, and am covering about 6-700 miles that week, going up to and around the Lake District, and surrounding area's.

Best get my wheels ordered now, so they can go on straight away. And once I finished my week away, she'll be ready for the re-map, so as I come back from the lakes I can pop into APS, for them to enhance it

The waiting begins.....:arco:

Its built and awaiting ship!!! - Not bad, as I only ordered it just over 4 weeks ago

I'd be interested to know what they change on your geometry to reduce the understeer, and to whether it actually does make much difference.

I imagine they just give it a bit of toe out on the front, but it would be good to see some before and after numbers if you can get them.

julians said:
I'd be interested to know what they change on your geometry to reduce the understeer, and to whether it actually does make much difference.

I imagine they just give it a bit of toe out on the front, but it would be good to see some before and after numbers if you can get them.

If memory serves me correct, my Evo 6 had different alignment specs, and the most "oversteer" prone one was the one with toe out on the rear, if I remember correctly! The difference in that car after alignments was night and day!

Ideally I'd like neutral handling, but oversteer if I provoke it. It may be an impossibility to get the s3 exactly like this, but there must scope for some adjustment to the geometry to get the turn in a bit sharper. It would probably make for a less relaxed high speed cruiser, but I'd prefer it that way. The wifes civic type R has a lightning turn in, it is brilliant in that respect.

I dont want to play about with my settings, using trial and error to get it right would take forever, so if someone already has some different settings for the S3 then that would be useful.

I am also looking forward to that! In the meantime, I can tell you that many people have changed the haldex controller in the A3 quattros and in the R32 and report much improved handling, because the car loses the FWD tendency and has much more neutral feel. The power goes 60/40 as soon as you floor the car, not as the car detects wheelspin.

I spoke to Ed @ APS about the Haldex controller, and he said you get far better results setting the geometry up differently. Ill let you know when its done - They ahve done loads apparently

Wheels Im getting are titanium MTM Bimota's in 19"

Oli.H said:

Ibis White
Black Optics Pack
Privacy Glass
BOSE
Black/Crimson Leather
Cruise
Sunband
Reversible Boot Mat
Electric Lumber Support
Phone Prep in Armrest
Interior Light Pack
PDC
Auto Lights and Wipers
No Smoking Pack
Flat Bottom MFSW

I have decided to fit a Dension IPOD kit,so I can have full control over my music. And after a week in a S3, I have decided that Im going to keep the standard suspension and wheels, as I feel the ride is just perfect and any lower will make it too hard for my liking. (But this will be the first car in many that I havent altered anything, wheels and suspension wise!!!) It will of course be having the obligitory re-map, courtesy of APS, who are also going to change the suspension alignment to make it less prone to understeer

The wait begins.....

Nice spec sir!

Oli.H said:

Ibis White
Black Optics Pack
Privacy Glass
BOSE
Black/Crimson Leather
Cruise
Sunband
Reversible Boot Mat
Electric Lumber Support
Phone Prep in Armrest
Interior Light Pack
PDC
Auto Lights and Wipers
No Smoking Pack
Flat Bottom MFSW

The wait begins.....

Lose the PDC and Privacy Glass, add the bucket seats and it would be perfect! ;)

Wish I went for the Interior Light Pack.

siu00adg said:
Lose the PDC and Privacy Glass, add the bucket seats and it would be perfect! ;)

Ha ha - For you maybe - PDC is for the wife!!!, privacy glass and the lack of bucket seats is for the kids!!!! Im glad we are all different

Oli Let me know the handling and driving experience compared to the BMW I am having a look to trade my S3 for a 330D Coupe (335D is auto... I wanted a manual)

Thanks
Pedro

Oli.H said:
Ha ha - For you maybe - PDC is for the wife!!!, privacy glass and the lack of bucket seats is for the kids!!!! Im glad we are all different

Ah! fair enough then! :)

newbiecrg said:
Oli Let me know the handling and driving experience compared to the BMW I am having a look to trade my S3 for a 330D Coupe (335D is auto... I wanted a manual)

Thanks
Pedro

I think you will miss it!
I come from a 130iM Sport, the ride was harsher, and the handling in my opinion was worse! Especially on track! the lack of LSD in the rear makes any throttle input a cloud of smoke from the inside tyre!

The only thing "nicer" was the smoothness of the engine, though it is not as fast as the S3. In the case of a diesel engine, I guess you will not enjoy that straight-6 tune.

well I guess a test drive is in order.... might loose the plot and get a 335i... or might stick with my S3 for a while... it is good when we are not in a rush...

Pedro

Had a drive in a 335i, an excellent car, very little lag, and lots of power through the rev band. Horrible interior though, and I'm not a fan of the exterior either, I think the angel eye lights are very tacky.