Someone please point me in the right direction please please!!

Grale1

Reaction score
Can someone please help me, I've had some part worn tyres fitted as the inside edges where worn out, the car has always drifted left and if I accelerate it always pulled left, so thought it would be tracking, had the part worn tyres fitted and had them do the tracking as I though it if doesn't work at last I'm not wasting decent tyres, but having it done it still pulls and drifts to the left, steering wheel isn't in the middle when driving straight, Im getting to the point where I've had enough of the car and if it can't be corrected I'll be getting rid of the car.

Someone please help if you've had similar problems and how you've dealt with it.

Thanks Simon

Garage can centre your steering wheel to rack dead centre , just go in and ask. Cost £25 on my mrs 206.

Simples, cheers

Best advice is to stop chasing your tail with it, and take it to a decent four wheel alignment place. Google to find one near you. How good is the place that tracked it for you?

The normal kwik fit type places in my experience are nothing short of shoddy when it comes to this sort of thing. The wheel should be in the straight ahead position, it suggests somebody has been lazy and only adjusted one side or something.

A four wheel alignment check is about £40-50, and then extra for making any adjustments. They should report to you after the check, and also see if there is anything obvious wrong with bent arms or similar.

If it checks out ok, and the alignment is done, and still pulls left, then it could be suspension bush wear, which is a fiddly but fairly cheap fix if you DIY. Or, it could be brake related, a binding caliber or something.

First port of call though, get it properly aligned.

As tooks said though, could be improper alignment done.

My 4 wheel laser alignment with all adjustments cost me £96 , but was well worth it . Could tell difference.

All in all mate it's not a major problem and can be fixed.

Might be someone being lazy and not adjusting alinement as said.ask if you can watch take the car back,insist you need to,cars worse or something.
or most likely a warn bush of some sort,if alinement adjusted it would pull straight back out,from warn bushes droplinks ect

Get someone to check your bush's
do you get any knocking noise's ect?

I get a knocking that sounds as if it's coming from under the gear knob area, I watched them doing it and both arms where adjusted, mine is an a3 not s3, I was thing of replacing both wishbones a week or so ago, I may take it to a garage called tc near me they are Audi vw seat people thet said there aliament was £66+VAT they said they would adjust and take car out and rejust etc if needed,

Wel if its knocking thats your prob,go back in tomoz,say its still pulling,but there is a knocking sound,say your going to fix the prob but you want them to reajust it after free of charge because its still pulling,they will be fine with that
End of the day a properly done alinement,should start by checking all of the bush's,drop links for play,so there at faught really,if you did'nt know,mayby get them to check the knocking noice out.adam.

I did replace the top mounts the other week, would it be good the change both wishbones and track rod ends as I think mine are split slightly, would that make any difference tho? Just hope to get I can get to the bottom of this so I can move on and do the car up once I've got some cash

I did replace the top mounts the other week, would it be good the change both wishbones and track rod ends as I think mine are split slightly, would that make any difference tho? Just hope to get I can get to the bottom of this so I can move on and do the car up once I've got some cash
Yes it would make a big differance if anything has split warn,yea just check all of your bush's i would.if its lowered id pollybush the wishbones.

Yeah it has been lowered but not sure how much tho and its been done on the standard shocks, I was going to try a cheap set of coilovers and change the track rod ends and wish bone and drop links

Yeah it has been lowered but not sure how much tho and its been done on the standard shocks, I was going to try a cheap set of coilovers and change the track rod ends and wish bone and drop links
Its all money,but yea set of coilovers pollybush kit then you will be happy,i had an a3 befor s3 and it had koni i coilovers polly bushs,handeled so wel,do it.just take it somewhere you can trust really,it would transform the car though.

Would wheel bearings play any part in not being able to track it properly as one of my fronts is in need of replacing

If its badly knackered and making a hell of a racket, almost on the point of seizing, then maybe. But, I'd be surprised you want to drive it if that's the case!

It's most likely the alignment.

You ought to get the wheel bearing replaced before you go to the expense of a proper four wheel alignment though.

I've noticed today that I get more steering lock to the left than I do to the right? Surely this isn't right? I'm going to be or ding some coil overs next week and wheel bearings and some new wishbones then go get it tracked agin at my local independent Audi garage to see if I can get this problem sorted

forget tracking, you want 4 wheel alignment, ideally on a hunter rig

Welcome to Align My Car will show you where your closest is

i'm seeing

Tyre City
Approximately 5.7 Miles from redhill
5a Redlands
Ullswater Industrial Estate
, COULSDON CR5 2UH
01462 488765
Voucher: Yes

as being your closest

Today when I was Fitting my filter I started the car up and I noticed movement in the engine mount, when the engine isn't running you can push the engine a bit, could this be part of the problem with the car pulling left

Today when I was Fitting my filter I started the car up and I noticed movement in the engine mount, when the engine isn't running you can push the engine a bit, could this be part of the problem with the car pulling left

Nope.

Its all down to alignment and/or worn suspension components somewhere.

Thats not to say your engine mount isn't worn, it might be, but it won't be causing your car to pull to the left under all driving conditions.

i'm not gonna reply to this anymore till you have replace the wheel bearing etc and had the car aligned

I'm only asking for advice from people on here who's had similar probs, I've spoken to a few garages who have all said that wheel bearing won't cause it to pull, I have had it aligned 4 times, I just don't want to go spend another £100+ on wishbones ball joints etc if I don't have too,

Did any of the garages actually suggest what it could be then, rather than just say it wasn't a wheel bearing?

Where have you had the alignment done? 4 times at a place that doesn't know what they're doing, or different places?

Are the brakes binding? Your wheel bearing fault won't help. All cars drift left towards the kerb given enough time on most roads, they're following the camber of the road. Where safe, drive on the right side, does it still drift left or now go right?

To be honest, you need to fix the bearing, sort any worn bushes, stop wasting money tracking a car with known worn suspension components, and get it FOUR WHEEL ALIGNED at a place like the one that Ste Nova linked to.

Once you've done all that, your problem will be solved, or a significant number of things will have been eliminated.

There are no shortcuts, only guesswork, but I prefer logic as an approach.

I've taken it to several places that have had on the ramp to check if anything is worn, they all have said looks ok, I be taken it to two different places for the tracking and yes i have had it on a hunter tracking system still no difference, I'll just have to get new wishbones, ball joint drop links track rod ends and get the bearings done, then I know most of it will be new bar the suspension, then try again, I'm not really in a position to keep throwing money at it, it's not my main means of transport as I drive a van as my works vehicle

Have you tried swapping your front tyres over. left to right/right to left and then see if your problem then moves to the other side, i.e pulls to the right.

The only time I have had this problem it turned out to be the poxy tyres !

btw, when I say tyres - I mean just swap the 2 front wheels over. Don't spend any more money getting someone to do this - just do it yourself. simple check.

The tyres are rotational and are on the right sides, I'm starting to wonder if it's the strut arm one is knackered I think

What makes you think it's one of the arms, especially if everywhere you've taken it to say everything looks ok?

If it has been aligned on a Hunter rig, then that should have sorted out any static alignment issues, so I think you're back to worn suspension components which shift to different positions once driving, a binding brake, or even the tyres as suggested above. Didn't you say earlier they were part worn ones? You may have inherited somebody else's problems with those, even if they have plenty of tread left. It could be a combination of all of the above.

If the tyres are directional, then just swap the front with the back on the same side, and see if that makes the problem better or worse. That won't cost anything but time.

You say you don't want to keep throwing money at it, but that's what you're doing with 4 alignments so far (including one hunter setup) without addressing the mechanical things you've mentioned.

You'll have to get the alignment done again once you've changed all the things you mention too.

I'm just repeating myself now though, so I'll bow out, and wish you good luck sorting it.

dont use tc auto near copthorne, they ripped my mate off with a full engine rebuild when all he had was a split oil pipe going onto a turbo, cost him 3 grand for a part that was about 50 quid. and all because he is a gullable pensioner. that garage makes me sick.......

dont use tc auto near copthorne, they ripped my mate off with a full engine rebuild when all he had was a split oil pipe going onto a turbo, cost him 3 grand for a part that was about 50 quid. and all because he is a gullable pensioner. that garage makes me sick.......

Petrol bomb....

Nogmeister that garage can go to hell, ripped him out of his savings, yeah is a really good mate and sound as a pound as old people go. if you told him you lost your wallet he more than likely give you a few quid, he is that nice a bloke. and for what, some mug in a garage thinking they would make a few quid. bit funny the full engine rebuild was done and they couldnt produce any of the old parts, apparently the pikeys came around that night and took them out the scrap bin.

Tc garage do seem expensive I've been to around garage in newchapel of top of my head I think it's called ad technic they seem to know there stuff, at the moment Im a bit lost in terms or what to do to the car to sort it

where in redhill are ya mate? im in woodhatch, i could av a look at it and do comparison with power etc.

yeah seen your car about, think i drove past u on monday about 3ish. is yours black/dark blue?think u had a passenger too...

mine is a copper colour mate, you prob have seen me about in town with it, we should try and meet up and see what the others car is like

yeah ok mate, i wont be racing or spanking the tits off it though as being redhill be plenty of plod. but i give it sum throttle and see wot happens. lol. start new job monday so message me when you wanna meet up and we will go for a spin.

Ben my filter has a massive split so that's prob why it's running so flat and no boost, my van felt quicker lol, still meet up sometime mate, going to get it remapped next month

Wheel alignment is a very important safety measure for your car. It will prevent your car from improper handling and tire wear which can cause accidents. Moreover, it can make your fuel bills lower.

Wheel Alignment Equipment