Soo I Test Drove An A45amg

No problems wasn't trying to wind up or upset anyone, nice for people to admit there mistakes.

Reactions: veeeight
I think that particular point I was trying to make at the time in that post was that there was no recall program from VW Audi Seat etc., either for the 702N problem, nor the other MQB turbo failures.

At this moment it time, it does not make me want to keep my car beyond the warranty period.

Fair enough, I agree its disappointing that they havent issued a recall, they must surely know which cars the suspect batch were fitted too, QA/QC records??
The cost to repair these modern cars puts me off ever owning one outside of warranty, thank the Lord for PCP!!

Reactions: P40ULW and veeeight
Me thinks somebody on this thread really wanted an A45, but couldn't quite stretch to it and is trying a little too hard to justify that their purchase is the right purchase to themselves..........

Just be happy with what you have.
If you truly are you won't give a flying funk what the alternatives are or how much they cost.

Reactions: 45bvtc and geefunk1978
OMG.

You really didn't need a can opener, did you, you just ripped the lid off !! :p

Reactions: batch and geefunk1978
I don't get the nearly £50k bit. That's if you tick every single option box and throw everything at it!! Mine was nothing like that and got very good options on it. For £40k ish there isn't really a competitor until the RS3 comes out.

I did take a look at the A-series and the A3 before I got my current Golf (admittedly not an A45), and the most striking difference between the 2 for me was in the tactiles. The Merc just didn't feel like a solid German "built like a tank" car, it felt and looked like a Toyota inside and out, with a very run of the mill interior. That would put a lot of people off who are used to the VAG "bulletproof" feel and care more about it than the extra performance you won't get much use out of on the open road. Of course decent residuals help keep a car with an expensive price tag relatively cheap over 2 or 3 years ownership (51.5% for the A45, 56% for the S3). People want different things from a car when they part with their money, some may err more towards the monthly costs, some to day-to-day usability, some purely to the performance figures. When you're on an Audi forum you do expect 80% of the people on here to favour the Audi.

Before I ordered my S3 Saloon I drove both the A45AMG & S3 (only HB available at time) Yes the A45 was quicker & looked better from the outside, but the inside quality was crap, I thought I was in a Ford Focus!! the quality was so bad. The road holding on the A45 was like a go-cart all over the road and very twitchy & that stupid screen on the dash, looked like a boy racer had added a cheap tablet as an after thought!!
The S3 Saloon yes isn't as "boy racer" but the the build quality is 1000% better than the Merc, it's nearly as quick & with a re-map it will be on par. So glad I when for the S3 as I'm very please with it:)

Reactions: 45bvtc
If the money reference was to me then I have owned a new M3 and a year old 55k X5M, also my S3 is £39,900 on order so according to you I could have an A45 for the same money, yet one will be faster and have poverty spec the other will be slightly slower and have nearly every option going, I know what id have as a daily, wonga wasn't an issue just what I was getting for it, yes you don't need every option but I felt it NEEDS certain options to justify itself and it's self proclaimed status.
I'll reiterate my earlier point that's makes me laugh many an A45 owner driving round in near poverty spec because they can only just stretch to buy the base car and can't afford half the options that they would tick in a heartbeat on a car that wasn't stretching them financially that are the ones playing the money card lol
Jesus Christ this thread is like a **** after a beer and curry night that just won't flush

Last edited:
I'll reiterate my earlier point that's makes me laugh many an A45 owner driving round in near poverty spec because they can only just stretch to buy the base car and can't afford half the options that they would tick in a heartbeat on a car that wasn't stretching them financially that are the ones playing the money card lol

Sorry, but what a crock of ****! Yes the MB is expensive for a hatch (still cheaper that the last RS3 though and that was based on a 10 year old platform), but to say that most of the cars sold are poverty spec because the owners can't afford to add options is just laughable IMO.
You just need to look on the A45 forum to see that most of the owners on there have decent spec. In fact I don't know of a single owner/forum member that has a bog stock car..

You seem to have a massive vendetta against the A45 for some reason mate and I am unsure why? Especially for someone who was on the verge of ordering one! Did the car call insult your mother or something?
I get the car isn't for you - same as the S3/M135 wasn't for me (even though I came from a 135i Coupe). But I don't go to the lengths you do to slag them off. Just be happy with what you have and leave it at that..

I've not got anything against it as a car, it drives well and goes even better. My hostility is that people are being blinkered towards its flaws and trying to justify the premium. I've been on the MB A45 section forum and most don't have many options at all. A point made by people saying they've bought one for 40k when the car is over 38k coming out the showroom, MB do no discounts bar a couple of hundred quid so please tell me where these decent specs people are getting for £1500? Thats basically the command system and that's it.
Or upgraded alloys and paint, or exclusive pack and aero.
I'd say 99% of people who spec hot hatches spec would spec, upgraded alloys, upgraded tech system, upgraded seats, and upgraded exhaust and other little common options like power folding mirrors and heated seats.
That is what I'd call a reasonable spec, and would cost you a he'll of a lot more than 40k so I've found that two sort of people buy the A45, people with shed loads of cash that just want the best thing out at the time and a fully loaded A45 is just that and that's what they spec and buy, the next is people who just desperately want to say they drive an AMG and they can only just get the car in its bare shell, unfortunately it's the latter that are the only ones shouting about money

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410445833362402

There's my order. Would you call that poverty spec? Just a shade over £42k. And you've paid nearly £40k for an S3? Are you on crack?

Yes I would, you've got heated seats and upgraded sound system, no sat nav? Command system which is widely regarded as the biggest selling point for trade in or private sales? Nope.
My argument still stands, why not spec folding mirrors? Command nav? Stuff that 99% of people would select on lesser cars?
I think saying I'm the one on crack is debatelable as I will be sitting in my upgraded seats with all my tech options ticked in my cab watching a DVD while you listen to your not quite as good as bang and olefsun stereo and gaz out of your pan roof with the prostitute tights cover over it because there's nothin else to look at on your fake ipad lol. You might make me regret it when you beat me off the lights by a couple of the tenths of a second though I'm sure

Last edited:
I know we rib each other butin all seriousness I hope the A45 owners on here enjoy their cars, the car as a stand alone package is cracking at what it does.
In the words of Peter Jones.......I'm out

Last edited:
If the money reference was to me then I have owned a new M3 and a year old 55k X5M, also my S3 is £39,900 on order so according to you I could have an A45 for the same money, yet one will be faster and have poverty spec the other will be slightly slower and have nearly every option going, I know what id have as a daily, wonga wasn't an issue just what I was getting for it, yes you don't need every option but I felt it NEEDS certain options to justify itself and it's self proclaimed status.
Jesus Christ this thread is like a **** after a beer and curry night that just won't flush

My hero!

Reactions: Remarcabull and geefunk1978
Here in trini.. nothing is std except basically the engine, 18 inch wheels, and the xenons so everything that I list here is a spec upgrade.. pano rook, HK, AMG performance exhaust, AMG seats, light and sight package, park assist with sensors, 19 inch matte black wheels, red calipers, red seat belts, folding mirrors. We don't have navigation nor command available where I live and heated seats are not applicable to a tropical climate, I did, however have to de -spec the night package and the amg steering wheel to get the car within a reasonable budget compared to the S3 sportback I had paid down on

Similar spec to mine...

Mountain Grey Metallic
19" Matt Black wheels
Red Callipers
Mirror package
Heated Washers
Heated Seats
Performance Steering Wheel
AMG Exhaust
Command Online
Harman Kardon Speakers

Just over £43k and hardly poverty spec. I did opt for the Command Online, but most people don't bother as they don't think it is worth £2k (like most media units) and opt for the Becker nav option which is about £400 and does 95% of what the command does.
All these people that say they have specced one to £50k must be going for all the carbon extras which come to about £4k if you tick all the boxes. Complete waste of money for me though.

Alright lads put your ***** away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: J6YAK and monopole
Mrs Pulp works for MB and tells me a A45 Black is in the works too. That potentially might be slightly mental.

Apparently quality of the cabin is going to be improved (it does need that) and it's going to have a tech update. Very similar to what the E class has just had - LED adaptive lights, various assistance systems etc.

If they get the quality up and keep it around the same base price, you might see this nick a lot of potential RS3 sales.....I'll certainly be looking