SOS Emergency Call Function Fault

Si Jar

Reaction score
Picked my new S4 Avant up on Saturday and 135 miles later the following has come up and continues to chime and flash the message regularly, it's booked in on Wednesday for a diagnostic scan. Seen some threads on the US sites of similar but anyone in the UK had the same and if so what was the cure?
4A52F8F6 1A30 4566 9CE7 2AC3ADBBC2CC

Does it happen all the time or when your car is in a certain place?

Reactions: Si Jar
One of my favourite Bjork tracks. Must give it a spin on the B&O!

Can't assist with the SOS fault. It would be nice to have the function! All that messing around with key user / remote functions vi athe app as shown in the manual only to find it wasn't provided on our early MY17 A4's. I'm sure the dealer will have it fixed quickly.

Reactions: Si Jar
Can't believe it's associated but I fitted my roof bars and bike racks yesterday evening then this morning the issue starts but from some US posts it showed up just after collection when the car was registered on the Audi system to the owner seeing as I only collected Saturday who knows, may take the racks / bars off just to see???

One of my favourite Bjork tracks. Must give it a spin on the B&O!

Can't assist with the SOS fault. It would be nice to have the function! All that messing around with key user / remote functions vi athe app as shown in the manual only to find it wasn't provided on our early MY17 A4's. I'm sure the dealer will have it fixed quickly.
I doubt too if the dealership will ever provide SOS to our cars. It would need a new overhead console and the SOS module then programming to the system. I have been looking at the aftermarket sites to see if anyone will start to provide it but haven't seen anything like it yet..

Can't believe it's associated but I fitted my roof bars and bike racks yesterday evening then this morning the issue starts but from some US posts it showed up just after collection when the car was registered on the Audi system to the owner seeing as I only collected Saturday who knows, may take the racks / bars off just to see???

The roof bars may block the gps antenna which is used to get your location if you deploy the sos function so that may be why its limited

Been in for diagnosis today and it needs a new SOS module antenna which unfortunately is located behind the dash!
Bit crap as I only picked it up Saturday.

So my new a6 avant 2019 which I’ve had only 3 months has started to do the same thing with the sos function not available which comes on and off every minute beeping which is annoying and frustrating

Got a technician sent by the telephone Audi service on the weekend to my home to inspect the car and he assessed it and said it needs a software update which is done on a SD card which needs to be done at the audi dealers, and it needs two updates so one audi has but the other isn’t even ready yet

So he booked me in the following Monday at audi bradford, after a couple of days of my car being there they called me and said we are having to strip the car to get to the Ariel and see what the problem is, I asked them well what about the software update and they said the technician doesn’t really know what he is talking about and they use different machines to what we use...... so really don’t know what to believe and trust and seems they will have the car longer then

Also was reluctant to get me a replacement car but I’m the end I managed to get one

Hi again,
So update is they have had my car for more than a week now and they have called me twice during the time stating it is fixed and ready to collect and when I did go to collect as soon as I drove the car out of the workshop the lights literally came back on the dashboard and I reversed straight back in and I showed them the dash again and they were like we will get it back in workshop to be seen by the master technician to do this and whatever , parameter check and reset module etc so today was the second time and again I made it just outside the car park and came back in so took it straight back, but this time I was more frustrated at why this keeps happening after they stripped it the first time and did a repair to faulty wiring and then a parameter reset , now I just don’t want the car anymore and want to explore my options in terms of rejecting the car or getting a satisfactory replacement ?? It’s been three months today and I was advised by the person who was dealing with me to explore that with the Audi shop where it came from which is audi Coventry and they will liaise with each other and see what Coventry audi say,so I did call them but waiting for a call back from the after sales manager as he wasn’t in at the time I called ..... as you can imagine I’m ****** but any help on what I can do about getting a replacement car or rejecting it ? Thanks

I would suggest rejecting the vehicle, you've clearly lost confidence in the car and the dealerships ability to repair...

Hi,
Audi Coventry have said that I have to take it up with audi financial services as they are the one who provided the car as it being a lease contract which is different to a retail sale if you bought the car so I did contact them too and logged a complaint which will go to the case executive and could take maximum of 8 weeks to resolve ...

Hi
So audi eventually replaced the whole module the third time round and that seems to have solved the issue and car is sound again

Audi financial services took the Mik with handling my complaint and my case and through out the 8 weeks did not assign a case worker til the last day of the 8 weeks had come to pass , I then had the right to complain to financial ombudsman service, they obviously were aware of this and after week after there ‘investigation’ came back to me saying we can’t let you exit the vehicle contract at this stage which I thought they would say but they paid me two months rental as a good Will gesture which I guess was good enough but I do think what would of happened if i took it further with the ombudsman service.....

I picked up a brand new RS5 this week, and had the SOS malfunction occur within 10 minutes of leaving the dealer, and with only about 70kms on the clock! Since the fault occurred the whole MMI system has also failed. Car is back at the dealer with no ETA on its return. Very sad!!

Reactions: Mryolon
I got my new 2020 A3 yesterday. Drove it today and I was talking on the phone via Bluetooth and my friend on the call said he was hearing intermittent static on the line. Then he couldn't hear me. Then he cut out. When he called back the SOS emergency call function fault..contact workshop, appeared on the screen.

I've started to get this error now, was quite intermittent but getting worse. Car booked in to get it looked at.

I'm in North Carolina, U.S.. I've discovered that my vehicle uses AT&T Cellular for the SOS function. Every time I go outside the AT&T coverage area, the light comes on. It will stay on when returning to the area. After turning the ignition off and back on (in coverage area) it sometimes resets and sometimes it doesn't. I found this YouTube link in another forum here: https://youtube.com/c/crdchannel

It is a workaround to reset the SOS warning by pushing the SOS button until it initiates a call (as long as 50 seconds or more) and then cancelling the call. The SOS malfunction then goes away.

Reactions: rjwojcik
Just did a scan out of curiosity and got:

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels:* None
2 Faults Found:
2563 - Cellular Antenna
B1053 13 [008] - Open Circuit
[GSM/UMTS_Breakdown]
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 111
Reset counter: 167
Mileage: 73533 km
Date: 2021.08.14
Time: 22:08:02

Car still booked in with Audi in a weeks time.

Mine went in today, needs a new aerial which means dash and headlining work... Few days before I get it back.

Mine went in today, needs a new aerial which means dash and headlining work... Few days before I get it back.
Fuming.!!! I bought this as an Approved Used, apparently wiring faults are not covered by the Approved Used Warranty scheme and they've rejected the claim from the dealer. I need some time to figure out what I do next, but def not happy tonight.

Fuming.!!! I bought this as an Approved Used, apparently wiring faults are not covered by the Approved Used Warranty scheme and they've rejected the claim from the dealer. I need some time to figure out what I do next, but def not happy tonight.
How long ago did you purchase it?

How long ago did you purchase it?
July, so just over two months ago. The dealer I purchased from are miles away, but I contacted them to see if there's anything they can do. My local dealer has provided a quotation for the work (just over £1,000 inc VAT, parts are £50) which I have also sent them. Waiting to hear...

July, so just over two months ago. The dealer I purchased from are miles away, but I contacted them to see if there's anything they can do. My local dealer has provided a quotation for the work (just over £1,000 inc VAT, parts are £50) which I have also sent them. Waiting to hear...

You’re within the 6 month window to reject the car after a single repair attempt.

They have to prove the issue wasn’t present at the time of sale. After 6 months the onus is on you to prove it.

Warranty doesn’t come into it as you can use the fit for purpose and not of satisfactory quality arguments under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

I’ve rejected 2 cars this way. I reckon they’d fix it over a rejection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rjwojcik
Well.. . I've had the car back for almost a week, no more errors pinging up and I can't hear any rattles / creaks. The supplying dealer has offered to pay some part of the repair, so I'll take that. I'll be doing another scan this weekend, out of curiosity.