SOS Malfunction

James Dartiailh

Reaction score
Hi All,

i have only done 500 miles in my new S4 Avant and i keep getting a SOS malfunction error every few mins.
The only thing that i have done to the car is unplugged the exhuast valves but i wouldnt have though that would cause an SOS error.

Has anyone else had this problem and a fix?
I have got the car booked in with Audi next week - should i plug the exhaust valves back in?

Cheers

I would advise plugging them back in so as not to give them any excuse...

Can't say it's one that I've heard of before? The exhaust valves being unplugged will leave a 'soft' error but of the people who've had the error on their cars I can't think of a single one that's had an issue when they'd gone into Audi, so hopefully you're not the first!

With any luck it'll be something simple like a lose connection or something.

Exactly the same for my new S4 Avant, picked it up on 15th June then 3 days later the error started, after diagnosis it was said to be the antenna for the module controlling the SOS function, unfortunately this is behind the dash, dealer had the car for 2 days and all has been fine for the last couple of weeks but last Friday it started again!
Opened a case with Audi Saturday morning as I'm currently considering rejecting the car.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/sos-emergency-call-function-fault.375523/

Last edited:
Wow what a pain that is.
Bet we have the same batch of faulty equipment.

Has Audi got back to you yet?
Not much fun when you take delivery of a new car for it to be back in the garage

No, nothing from Audi yet, was told I would get a confirmation letter of my complaint plus a call with a few days.

Any news from Audi Si Jar?
Mine is in the garage now having the dash removed.
I am worried about damage to my dash from the removal tools and creaking and other strange noises when it’s fitted. FML 700 miles on the clock. It’s a joke

Dropped mine off yesterday and called today to be told a replacement cable is needed for the SOS module / antenna, need to wait for one to come from Germany so won't be fitted until the end of next week, so looks like dash is coming out again!
After last visit when the dash was dismantled no creaks, rattles or damage possibly helps that the master tech who did the work is a friend.
Been waiting 2 weeks now for Audi to call ref my complaint / possible rejection of the car, after my calling them have been told they have up to 8 weeks to review / resolve my complaint.

Oops, not good. But hopefully they are well practised on how to remove your dash now ;-)

Did anything get fixed for this, as my early A4 has just started exhibiting the same problem

Yes, all fine at present, after the cars latest trip to Audi I believe the cable feeding the module/antenna (these were replaced last time) was replaced, hopefully it's now sorted the problem.

So my new a6 avant 2019 which I’ve had only 3 months has started to do the same thing with the sos function not available which comes on and off every minute beeping which is annoying and frustrating

Got a technician sent by the telephone Audi service on the weekend to my home to inspect the car and he assessed it and said it needs a software update which is done on a SD card which needs to be done at the audi dealers, and it needs two updates so one audi has but the other isn’t even ready yet

So he booked me in the following Monday at audi bradford, after a couple of days of my car being there they called me and said we are having to strip the car to get to the Ariel and see what the problem is, I asked them well what about the software update and they said the technician doesn’t really know what he is talking about and they use different machines to what we use...... so really don’t know what to believe and trust and seems they will have the car longer then

Also was reluctant to get me a replacement car but I’m the end I managed to get one

So my new a6 avant 2019 which I’ve had only 3 months has started to do the same thing with the sos function not available which comes on and off every minute beeping which is annoying and frustrating

Got a technician sent by the telephone Audi service on the weekend to my home to inspect the car and he assessed it and said it needs a software update which is done on a SD card which needs to be done at the audi dealers, and it needs two updates so one audi has but the other isn’t even ready yet

So he booked me in the following Monday at audi bradford, after a couple of days of my car being there they called me and said we are having to strip the car to get to the Ariel and see what the problem is, I asked them well what about the software update and they said the technician doesn’t really know what he is talking about and they use different machines to what we use...... so really don’t know what to believe and trust and seems they will have the car longer then

Also was reluctant to get me a replacement car but I’m the end I managed to get one
Hi All,

i have only done 500 miles in my new S4 Avant and i keep getting a SOS malfunction error every few mins.
The only thing that i have done to the car is unplugged the exhuast valves but i wouldnt have though that would cause an SOS error.

Has anyone else had this problem and a fix?
I have got the car booked in with Audi next week - should i plug the exhaust valves back in?

Cheers