Sound disappeared from Android Auto Google Maps turn-by-turn?

Rog

Reaction score
When navigating with Google Maps, she says, for example, "navigating to home" but then there is no further audio. If the radio is on, it mutes at the times and places you would expect to receive a turn notification but no voice. I've also tried with the radio off but it made no difference. If I say "Hey Google, play music" then Spotify comes through loud and clear. I'm sure the turn-by-turn worked about a month ago.... Any ideas please?

Does it make the sound via the phone speaker when not plugged into the car / MMI ?
If not then its the settings on the app in the phone maybe?

Reactions: Rog
Does it make the sound via the phone speaker when not plugged into the car / MMI ?
If not then its the settings on the app in the phone maybe?

About to walk dog, will put phone in pocket with a route planned and check!

When navigating with Google Maps, she says, for example, "navigating to home" but then there is no further audio. If the radio is on, it mutes at the times and places you would expect to receive a turn notification but no voice. I've also tried with the radio off but it made no difference. If I say "Hey Google, play music" then Spotify comes through loud and clear. I'm sure the turn-by-turn worked about a month ago.... Any ideas please?
Really hope Google have not broken the audio in Google Maps like they did in Waze (it's not worked right for months now). Particularly after they just added speed cameras recently too!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I can confirm that voice works when phone is stand alone

Reactions: Hambee1234
I haven't used google maps on android auto for directions for months but needed to yesterday as the address wasn't found by the car satnav. Same experience as you, no audio :-(

Glad it's not just me. I can stop chasing faults. We just need a fix now!

Just used google maps on apple car play and all ok . Sorry can’t advise on Android guys

I installed Android Auto on my wife's phone and the still no voice guidance.

Could I please ask if anyone finds a solution or receives an update which fixes the problem to report on this thread?

Maybe a dodgey wire / cable ? Does other audio output apps play Ok ?

Does this make any sense?
"On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app . Choose an option: To hearnavigation from your car speakers, turn on Play voice over Bluetooth. To hear navigationfrom your phone or tablet's speaker, turn off Play voice over Bluetooth."
And you might not be alone https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/887857-google-maps-no-voice-directions.html

Done all that but no luck. It sounds like things won't be back to normal until there is another Android Auto update.

Done all that but no luck. It sounds like things won't be back to normal until there is another Android Auto update.
Ick, as normal then, a software update means some fixes, but then breaks other things...

Although IOS I recently have a issue where I can’t initiate a WhatsApps call via Siri on CarPlay. Hopefully just a software update.

Try reporting the issue via the app. They normally have a feature to do this.

Oh dear, egg on my face (sort of). I tried Google navigation again. Radio was on normal volume and when the silent pause started before a turning, I turned the volume up quite a lot. Turn-by-turn navigation audio could then be heard. I thought that when the voice had finished, the radio would be deafening owing to the fact that I had turned up the volume so much but the radio came back at the original volume.

I didn't realise that control of volume was so sophisticated. It is able to differentiate between the radio and android auto in the short time whilst a voice prompt is active.

So, I am happy now and hope this helps others who may have the same problem.

Reactions: cuke2u and WesT-gefül
Good on you for owning it. Happy days. It’s very granular indeed. You can only change the voice prompt volume when it’s audible as you’ve found out now. (Hard to know when you can’t hear it) There is also a speed dependence volume setting in the MMI

Oh dear, egg on my face (sort of). I tried Google navigation again. Radio was on normal volume and when the silent pause started before a turning, I turned the volume up quite a lot. Turn-by-turn navigation audio could then be heard. I thought that when the voice had finished, the radio would be deafening owing to the fact that I had turned up the volume so much but the radio came back at the original volume.

I didn't realise that control of volume was so sophisticated. It is able to differentiate between the radio and android auto in the short time whilst a voice prompt is active.

So, I am happy now and hope this helps others who may have the same problem.
No worries, we all have 'senior' moments and yes different inputs can use their own volume settings. It's good to know you've got it working how you should and you have provided very useful information for anyone else who might have a similar issue..

I'll give this a go also, thanks for the update. Mine was set and has been working to a particular volume for almost three years so I still believe a software update has reset it to 0 or similar.

I'll give this a go also, thanks for the update. Mine was set and has been working to a particular volume for almost three years so I still believe a software update has reset it to 0 or similar.

Good luck!

A software update popped through to my phone on Saturday morning so I took the car for a drive, no audible directions, didn't change the volume. I then updated the software, started up android auto again and voila, the sound is back.

For me it seemed to be an Android update that caused it and fixed it, but as you pointed out, the simple fix is to reset the volume manually when the sound should trigger.

FYI on Samsung S8 (vodafone) it was the November security update that broke it, the Feb update restored it judging from my experience.