Soundaktor

steverobertsbbc

Reaction score
Just reading a few threads that mentioned the Soundaktor, a device mounted behind the dash that artificially boosts the engine note, using the bodywork as a soundboard.

Under what conditions is this device operating on any level? Is it just with drive select in Dynamic or is there a certain level there in other modes? I tend to drive around with DS in Auto and knock the S-tronic into S mode when I want to get a move on. Does the Soundaktor come into play here? What about in Manual? Car is an A3 Sportback quattro S-tronic, if that has a bearing on the answer.

Is there a dedicated fuse I can pull? I came from a Civic Type-R, a very loud and wearing car to drive for any length of time due to the cabin noise levels. The last thing I need in my lovely new Audi is something artificially adding more noise!

In individual mode, you can also adjust the engine sound.

Even on 'loud' it's pretty unobtrusive to be honest with you!

I had an Integra Type R (a 1999 B18C6) years ago which I loved, but ultimately got rid of because of the drone on the motorway. This really doesn't even start to compare!

Does it differ in the manual to S-tronic?

And can it be turned off?

I have got a manual S3 which I drive in dynamic. I would like to hear the engine rather than any fakery. It's a bit like wearing a snide Rolex IMO.

I would also love to swap the quad exhaust for a pair of nice oval ones as well. They also feel a bit fake on a 4 pot to me.

Do love the car by the way!

I have coded mine out of my S3 to . 0.0% If i want simulated sound i can watch the F1 or MotoGP, why the engineers have put this in is beyond me but even thought they have added it why they havent allowed it to be turned down or off via the mmi ? #thank the lord for VCDS.

Its made a huge difference in a good way, now the exhaust note is behind me and not all around, it also helps on long journeys

Turned mine off ages ago great thing to do.

Reactions: sentinal13
I was watching some yank on u-tube weighing one today at 8oz which is about 250g.. and also apparently they can develop a rattle

I'm thinking the same.
Is this thing in the driver's side A pillar, easily accessed from under the bonnet and can it just be unplugged without throwing up any fault lights?
I used VCDS to set to 0% as far as I know its bolted to the windscreen wiper arm bracket. in the middle, it s a bit tight to disconnect,. I found a few vids on youtube, under 'soundaktor'

I'm thinking the same.
Is this thing in the driver's side A pillar, easily accessed from under the bonnet and can it just be unplugged without throwing up any fault lights?

I used VCDS and put it down to 0%.

I’ve seen videos of where they disconnect it from under the scuttle panel. I doubt that any lights will come up but it will throw a fault on VCDS.

I used VCDS to set to 0% as far as I know its bolted to the windscreen wiper arm bracket. in the middle, it s a bit tight to disconnect,. I found a few vids on youtube, under 'soundaktor'
I found this one that suggests the soundaktor is a square box

Can anyone confirm which it is on the FL?

sound.jpg

y4ehapa3.jpg