Sourcing OEM brake pad shims

wuta3

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had some Ferodo DS Performance pads fitted to my 2018 RS3 and developed some judder under breaking, squeeking and clunking when applying the brakes.
Upon inspection of the pads, they appear to be missing the metal shims that affix to the rear of the pad and loop around the "ear" of the pad. I think they probably got binned with the old pad and the Ferodo ones don't come with a shim it needs transferring over and this hasn't happened.

I can't for the life of me find out where to get a set of the metal shims from. Any ideas?

Picture for reference:
Shim

Last edited:
Was just cleaning my rims after reading this thread. My (squeaky) ferrodo pads don't have shims either. Best contact the manufacturer and see if they recommend them or not. Would love to know if these would help at all.

Are you guys sure the shims aren’t stuck on the pads? Most manufactures have a small shim glued on and not visible without taking the pad out.
Like this
B30346D1 1E51 4216 907A 3CB031BEC6E7

Speak to Trevor at RFT performance and I’m sure he’ll send you a set out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just cleaning my rims after reading this thread. My (squeaky) ferrodo pads don't have shims either. Best contact the manufacturer and see if they recommend them or not. Would love to know if these would help at all.
Manufacturer recommends transferring the shims, they are just push-fit and not glued

Are you guys sure the shims aren’t stuck on the pads? Most manufactures have a small shim glued on and not visible without taking the pad out.
Like this
View attachment 235779
Yes most do, however RS3 pads require the shim to wrap around the "ear" of the pad and underneath (look at the picture). Without the shim the pads are 1mm too small and move in parellel with the disc against the caliper. Brembo/OEM pads come with a push-fit shim after the PFL brake squeek stuff. Other manufacturers (ie, Ferodo) supply pads with the backing in the OEM template but the shim must be carried over.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Got a web link or contact email to DM me? Thank you :)

Here you go.

He’s the Uk supplier of the DS pads (my PFL was the test car)

Tell him you’ve got DS performance but there were no shims supplied, he should sort you out (mention me sean if not )

532227d6e392a74c2acfe127f17f3a25.jpg

Reactions: Cheggers, ArrEssDrei, wuta3 and 1 other person
Here you go.

He’s the Uk supplier of the DS pads (my PFL was the test car)

Tell him you’ve got DS performance but there were no shims supplied, he should sort you out (mention me sean if not )

532227d6e392a74c2acfe127f17f3a25.jpg

Cheers matey, i'll give him a go.
Weird that the pads didn't include the wraparound shims (or any) as these were the DS Performance 5023 which I gather were made especially for the RS3.

Cheers matey, i'll give him a go.
Weird that the pads didn't include the wraparound shims (or any) as these were the DS Performance 5023 which I gather were made especially for the RS3.

The prototype I tested didn’t and on my PFL at the time were silent.

However I know now they are available from Trevor.

As a side note I run DS2500 and have no shims in them.

The prototype I tested didn’t and on my PFL at the time were silent.

However I know now they are available from Trevor.

As a side note I run DS2500 and have no shims in them.

Yeah these DS5023/4967 are squeeking, juddering and you can feel a slight clunck when braking forward/reverse as (I think) the pads shift slightly fore and aft in the carrier. Not a mechanic tho.

Yeah these DS5023/4967 are squeeking, juddering and you can feel a slight clunck when braking forward/reverse as (I think) the pads shift slightly fore and aft in the carrier. Not a mechanic tho.

Shims should counter the clank as they wrap around the top and bottom edges of the pad, the pad backings are tapered however the peg stops them going in too far, so can be a little loose.
You can also buy stick on shims if need be that you could warp around the top / bottom edges to take up some of the slack.

Shims should counter the clank as they wrap around the top and bottom edges of the pad, the pad backings are tapered however the peg stops them going in too far, so can be a little loose.
You can also buy stick on shims if need be that you could warp around the top / bottom edges to take up some of the slack.

Spoke to RFT and they said they may have some, but low on stock.
Interestingly I said "Hello, I'm after some specific shim" and they said "Yeah is it for an RS3??". Hah, either they read this thread or it's that much of an issue.

Reactions: 8YARWY

RFT sorted me right out, thank you for the lead @T-1000 !

Is this not a dealer available item out of curiosity.? Think I'll source a set as well. Thanks @T-1000

Are the rears shimmed the same way? I don't see any on mine either. :(

Is this not a dealer available item out of curiosity.? Think I'll source a set as well. Thanks @T-1000

Lol Audi dealer ?

No shims front or rear here

Lol Audi dealer ?

No shims front or rear here

RTF advised shims for front, not rear

Rears don't require shims. AFAIK you can't get the shims from Audi without buying a set of (overpriced) OEM pads.

RTF advised shims for front, not rear

Rears don't require shims. AFAIK you can't get the shims from Audi without buying a set of (overpriced) OEM pads.

lol yes I know for DS performance pads as I said further up my PFL was the trial car.

I’m on about DS2500 which I currently run without shims.

Reactions: wuta3