Spacers wont fit :(

Farhan

Reaction score
Ah went to fit my front spacers today, bought them off the forum in the classifieds. I managed to fit my rears so thats a plus point but the 10mm fronts dont seem right to me.

Basically the centre bore is correct but the spacer does not sit flush with the hub as shown in the photos below. Has anyone come across this before?

81a7f594.jpg

e6c79846.jpg

affd088b.jpg

On the back of the spacer that 'should' sit flush with the hub, is there a chamfered edge? There should be to allow it to sit flush.

They look like quite cheap spacers from the pics?

Hi yep there is a chamfered edge on the back of the spacer, its like a step where it sits on the hub centre. Yep i bought them in the classifieds and was unaware of this.

So basically the centre bore cant be big enough to allow them to slide over the locator on the hub?

How tight are they? Would a little bit of lubrication and some percussive engineering get it on? Or just mark it down as experience and shell out for some h&r spacers.

Yep that is correct, i thought about cleaning the hub but even then it will still be out a few mms

They are pretty tight they centre perfectly and the holes for the bolts line up. I would say they are around 3mm out. Iv read a few posts that have had similar problems and even the bimec spacers which people run have had the same problem.

However the ebay seller just states in his listing

"
[h=1]PLEASE NOTE: THE HUB SPIGOT ON THIS VEHICLE CAN BE OVER 10MM IN DEPTH AND PREVENT THE SPACER FROM SITTING FLUSH WITH THE DISC. ALTHOUGH THIS IS UNUSUAL WE STRONGLY ADVISE THE KIT IS FITTED BY A QUALIFIED MECHANICAL TECHNICIAN TO MAKE SURE IT FITS FLUSH TO THE DISC .[/h]

BDW that is not the seller i bought them off but the listing for bimecc spacers mentions that. Im running brand new FKs on the rear which were perfectly fine however they were 13mm. I didnt get the chance to check them on the front though

It 100% needs to sit flush mate. You cant fit a wheel onto that! Get rid and get some proper spacers that fit!

Yer, Not going to risk doing anything with them i didnt bother fitting them at all. I have PMd the seller if i could return them.

Now what to buy next, Im leaning towards the FKs as they are considerably cheaper than the H&Rs. Tim which spacers have you run on your A3

Thanks dude i will look into them. So they sat absolutely flush at the front?

Iv PMd damian about the FKs for the front i wont need the bolts as i have bought everything for the spacers now.

farhan, I'm selling my front and rear spacers if your interested, 10mm front and 12mm rear, but will only sell as a set if your interested

Cheers paolo, I am really interested but i already have the rear set DOH lol

LOL i would but the rear set are perfect and i bought the rears brand new. Plus they are 13mm so im dubbing with that wholesome extra 1mm of win.

lol sell me your fronts and we have a deal!

haha, na need to sell them as a set as will be easier to sell, am in no rush to sell any of the mods as that won't be funding the new car so need to do whats easiest mate

Sorry to crash the thread, but how much are you looking for for your spacers jungleman as I'm in the market for a set.

why not get the ones you bought machined out to fit?

why not get the ones you bought machined out to fit?

No point at all as i would be better returning them. They seem fine and in really good condition but its just my car at the front has the deeper hub ring. Iv found out not all the cars do but some of the 08 onwards do i think.

Most of the 10mm spacers might give me this same problem aparts form the H&R ones which seem to be fine according to the US audi forums.

Happens alot in the US as well with the ECS spacers where by they are fine for the majority but for some peoples cars they had the same problem as the hub ring is deeper.

I now know why its impossible to machine out 8mm to be wheel centric and why H&R charge so much for that 8mm, It seems even on some 10mm brands there is not lots of material to make a deeper hub centre for some cars as i had a look closely at the spacer and it would be difficult to machine it without going through....Or from what i gather some manufacturers make 11mm spacers so it gives them that extra mm.

I bought bimecc ones and had exactly the same problem for the 10mm ones (which actually measured 12mm), i complain and got most of my money back. I took them to a local machine shop to try and get them turned down a bit but they could not do it. (actually destroyed the middle hubcentric bit which came away)

In the end i bought some ones from DPM which are 100% fit for the front

Yer, Not going to risk doing anything with them i didnt bother fitting them at all. I have PMd the seller if i could return them.

Now what to buy next, Im leaning towards the FKs as they are considerably cheaper than the H&Rs. Tim which spacers have you run on your A3

Either H&R or Eibach, I cant remember now, I've had so many different sets over the years! I've never had an issue with either of these or FK's though.

I'm only running rears atm.

Right all today i went out to measure the hub lips, Now im slightly concerned here as i measured the hub ring from the flat part of the hub.

Please see photo below of the problem im facing

c2ea0afe.jpg

The hub lip measures around 12mm from the flat part of the hub. It would be impossible to get a 10mm spacer on the fronts because of this as the metal thickness being only 10mm would still leave me a gap of around 2mm. I would say close up it looks more like 11mm-12mm at the most.

Would anyone be able to advise? And how safe would it be for me to run a 8mm hubcentric spacer without the wheel centric lip? I understand the 8mm ones do not allow enough of the hub lip for the wheel to sit on but in my case....With this longer hub lip i have a few more mm to play with?

Hi mate. I run a 8mm non hubcentric spacer on the rear with no issues whatsoever. As I said above mine are either H&R or Eibach ones. Its a bit of a pain mounting the wheel without the lip to locate it, but once on its fine.

Farhan also look at Forge ones. I been running them for over a year no problems! cheaper than H&R

Cheers Rye, i have ordered some of the creation motorsport ones which were recommended above. I made sure that if they dont fit i can get a refund. I think they should be ok as they gave me measurements over the phone and its 8mm gapping and then an extra 8mm within the wheel centric ring which is a 45 degree bezel. The current ones dont have any space for the 45 degree bezel so just dont slot on correctly.

I will try those ones failing that ill give forge ago....If forge dont fit then im taking out a mortgage for the H&Rs LOL.

Right lads, want to clear this one up incase anyone else has a similar problem.

Good news my new spacers FIT perfectly. As mentioned by TDI-Man the ones on the ebay link are perfect and have enough material to allow them to fully sit flush on the hub.

The quality of the spacers also looks extremely good, I would recommend them to everybody as they are very reasonable as well and guaranteed to fit.

Incase the ebay link expires - They can be bought direct on the following website

10mm Hubcentric Spacers » CreationsMotorsport
Here are some close up photos of them

54defcb8.jpg

43d0aca7.jpg

651ede49.jpg

5bef6f8f.jpg

4ff810ff.jpg

c2cab038.jpg

They look to be nice quality mate and glad you have it sorted out! Good value to considering £50 includes the bolts!