Spec options - car insurance?

Keef

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what’s the official line when insuring?
When i got my car and changed the insurance over, they asked me if the car had any optional extras above the standard spec. In the past I’ve always had high spec’d cars and never been asked before - so i told them the full list of extras.
Just had my renewal through and they list the parking and leather interior under the modifications heading!?
Just checked the quote online and this does seem to have bumped up the premium, surely when you tell them the car value that sufficient...right??

Thank
Keef

Since all insurance companies different and they are as obstructive as possible, the official line is to call them up and ask precisely what they need to know. My insurance company did not need to know such a level of detail.

How long have you had it now Keef?

I am sure it's only 'Modifications' to the original spec that matter...? Like Beemer says better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
My insurance (Admiral Multicar) wanted to know everything that wasn't standard spec on the car. I asked if they meant absolutely everything and they confirmed. So I did. Shortly after I was transferred from the call centre on another continent, to the office in Cardiff... he didn't have much of a clue either. So I ended up saying "Write this down exactly as I say it."

Insurance companies are not in the business to pay out, therefore I ensured it was all recorded to my satisfaction as I know that should the time come, they'll do their damned best to get out of coughing up.

Reactions: Keef
Can anyone tell me what’s the official line when insuring?
When i got my car and changed the insurance over, they asked me if the car had any optional extras above the standard spec. In the past I’ve always had high spec’d cars and never been asked before - so i told them the full list of extras.
Just had my renewal through and they list the parking and leather interior under the modifications heading!?
Just checked the quote online and this does seem to have bumped up the premium, surely when you tell them the car value that sufficient...right??

Thank
Keef

Surely OEM stuff like parking are not modifications!
I was under the impression that if the car was bought with it from factory then it's not aftermarket upgrade.
It's only upgrade if you upped power or changed custom body kit etc.after buying.
Still..... Better to check.

wow slightly pedantic.
If it isnt a performance extra then it is classed as astheatic anyway and doesnt cost any extra.
I am always adding stuff to mine and not even the suspension or exhaust bumped mine up, £0 and updated.
Still a pain for you to have to list it all when it is factory!

I agree that it sounds like some or all insurance companies are being pedantic or down right vague, I can see why they might choose to load premiums if a car had lots of extra factory fitted as the "value" they give it will always be as a "base" spec car of that model variant, and rework after accident and theft desirability will vary with what is fitted to the individual car at initial build.

Oh, and due to being covered by Admiral, I've just had a call from Warranties Direct saying that they could give me a good deal on extended warranty - "no thanks!" got rid of them quickly.

Hi @Keef. Long time no speak. As the others have said it varies from company to company. On the S4 I have experience of 3. Admiral want every option, even parking sensors.

Aviva only need any options post manufacture. But the excess on an S4 was something like £900!

Yourcover (Allianz) again only want post manufacture options.

HTH.

Reactions: Keef and benjie
Crickey.

I'm with MoreThan and they don't give 2 hoots about extras, only post factory changes/mods. Not sure what my compulsory excess is, but is only a couple of hundred quid max and zero voluntary. I think I only pay £380 a year fully comp too, with protected no claims (10 years worth).

2012 S4 avant.

Time to change insurer I think mate.

Reactions: Keef
Time to change insurer I think mate.

If your referring to me, I only stayed with Aviva for a very short time as the excess was just stupid. I'm usually quite careful about these things but somehow I missed it this time. Best bit was when I phoned up to cancel and the guy asked why, I told him the excess was ridiculous and he said "well you are driving an Audi Quattro Sir". :) WTF?! Thanks, bye!

Allianz was £252 for the year, fully comp, protected NCB.

MoreThan look like another one who take the sensible view of modifications...

Is the car modified? Yes/No
Please let us know if any changes have been made to your car after it was produced by the factory (e.g. engine modifications, body kits, etc).

Will add them to my list for renewal time.

Thanks for the input guys.
Thig is most insurance companies couldnt give a rats ***... utill its claim time!

I'll have to give them a call - last year i paid £316 fully comp, protect NC etc..
So not too bad, but i do have a good postcode and im 42!

Reactions: scotty76
You're right @Keef you know if you dinged it they'd be like "you didn't tell us about the parking sensors, we're not paying". :( That's why I binned Admiral. Plus it took an hour on the phone to get it sorted. Just a waste of time.

I quit admiral a long time ago, they were useless and weren't the cheapest either.

BTW what extended warranties are people buying (like which companies)? I suppose it's also based on optional extras?

I'll have that situation when I notify my insurers of the impending new car. I think I'll just email them a PDF of my build order, listing all the standard and optional kit.