Spec'd A5 or S5

Corbula

Reaction score
I've currently got an a4 from 2016 which I love but thinking of changing it in the next 12 months while it's still got some value in it, about £9k. The dream would be an S5 sportback from few years ago, which is looking around £30k-£33k.

I've also been looking at A5 sportback with the 252bhp engine. That's looking about £28k but some have quite a bit of kit on them extra, including alcantara seats.

My question is do you get more spec on an A5 with extras or is most of it standard on an S5?

Also any other suggestions or cars if the S5 is just too much, which it might just be unfortunate but still dreaming. It's probably going to be a car I keep for minimum 5 years.

Reactions: quattrorally
The S5 seats .. just check out the seats.. caress them, covet them, love them , wrythe around in them , have a massage in them, be cocooned in them …

S5 is pretty well equipped as standard , as long as it has VC.

The S5 seats .. just check out the seats.. caress them, covet them, love them , wrythe around in them , have a massage in them, be cocooned in them …

S5 is pretty well equipped as standard , as long as it has VC.
I know, the seats are nice, but I actually prefer the alcantara ones compared to leather, especially on those got hot days.

VC is something it would need, as well as reversing camera. Does an S5 have 60/40 split rear seats as standard? I read something that said it might not be.

how long is a few years back?

Since the introduction of WLTP (sep 18) for all new car registrations from September 2018 audi have gone for a number of different trim levels with limited additional options.

if your looking at a pre sep 18 car then these were highly configurable ( i managed to add £6.5k of extras to my old A5). Options and base trim evolved over each model year so some options were added to the standard spec over time.

rear view cameras were an option either as part of the comfort and sound pack or a standalone item on both models.

your obviously going to pay more for a similar spec S5 so you’ll need to decide what’s important and what’s nice to have and then be prepared to spend some time looking for the right car as there won’t be many to choose from.

I might be wrong but seem to remember the 252 bhp engine had a reputation for drinking oil. no doubt someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I’d certainly research that.

Attachment below is the A5 brochure from 2017. That will give you a better idea of the base specs and options for each model

hope that’s helps you

Attachments

• a5_interactive_pricelist_edition_20_0918(1).pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 120
how long is a few years back?

Since the introduction of WLTP (sep 18) for all new car registrations from September 2018 audi have gone for a number of different trim levels with limited additional options.

if your looking at a pre sep 18 car then these were highly configurable ( i managed to add £6.5k of extras to my old A5). Options and base trim evolved over each model year so some options were added to the standard spec over time.

rear view cameras were an option either as part of the comfort and sound pack or a standalone item on both models.

your obviously going to pay more for a similar spec S5 so you’ll need to decide what’s important and what’s nice to have and then be prepared to spend some time looking for the right car as there won’t be many to choose from.

I might be wrong but seem to remember the 252 bhp engine had a reputation for drinking oil. no doubt someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I’d certainly research that.

Attachment below is the A5 brochure from 2017. That will give you a better idea of the base specs and options for each model

hope that’s helps you
Thanks for the brochure, been looking for one of them.

It would be the B9 so 2017+. I noticed there wasn't many around at the moment, not compared to when I was looking a few years ago. I was disappointed they didn't do a black edition with the black grill before they switched to the diesel.

Looking at the brochure Reversing camera, VC, and folding mirrors I think are the main ones.

The 252bhp I was only looking as the only petrol below that is 190 which seems like a very expensive way to basically get a car that's slightly different shape to my a4 but the same in basically every other way. Oh, and for the quattro :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the brochure, been looking for one of them.

It would be the B9 so 2017+. I noticed there wasn't many around at the moment, not compared to when I was looking a few years ago. I was disappointed they didn't do a black edition with the black grill before they switched to the diesel.

Looking at the brochure Reversing camera, VC, and folding mirrors I think are the main ones.

The 252bhp I was only looking as the only petrol below that is 190 which seems like a very expensive way to basically get a car that's slightly different shape to my a4 but the same in basically every other way.
The 252bhp version wasn’t that common due to it’s emissions / co car tax but there’s a few for sale if you search on the audi approved used site which will give you an idea of the spec you could get for your budget.

I also recommend you have a look at 3.0tdi version which came with 218ps or 286ps. I had the former and it was a stunning car and would not hesitate to have another but they are quite rare as Audi only put them into the B9 for about 6 -8nmonths before switching to the 286ps unit. The 218 was more economical than the 2.0tdi (on a long run at motorway speeds it would average 50+mpg) and was almost as quick as the 252ps petrol version. The 286ps diesel is quicker than the 252ps petrol.

folding mirrors are def worth having as these come with the mirror dip function, reversing camera is not critical as the parking sensors are good. Led matrix are worth having too as is the fbsw which was an option rather than standard feature.

I know, the seats are nice, but I actually prefer the alcantara ones compared to leather, especially on those got hot days.

VC is something it would need, as well as reversing camera. Does an S5 have 60/40 split rear seats as standard? I read something that said it might not be.
My s5 coupe has 50/50 split rear ( or more like 40/20/40 as you can drop the centre on its own) which is must be standard as i never optioned it.

vision and light and comfort and sound pack will have you sorted in terms of toys.

i wanted memory seats too - just as it makes it easier with the wife driving - and then also had to have the tech pack for the 360 camera’s and HUD!