Speed Camera Detectors

Jonno225

Reaction score
So I currently use a TomTom which has live traffic and up to date speed camera database. However when I pick up the new car I'll be reverting to the built in Sat Nav that is part of the Tech Pack (yeah I know that the £150 TomTom might be. a superior nav device lol). I do so many miles and really rely on the TomTom speed camera alerts.

My question is... What do any of you use for speed camera detectors?
There are quite a few products out there for all sorts of different prices. Road Angel etc. There are also various phone apps.
I would really want something hard wired... Not a fan of loose wires lol

I'm assuming that we can't install a speed camera database on the Audi Nav!

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Brasso
Thanks veeeight
Looks like a good interim solution there. I'll look into this for when the car arrives

I have an inforad k3 which I got off amazon when I got the A6 and stopped using tomtom. I was quite surprised how good it was for 30 quid and free updates.

I have a Snooper 3 Zero. It does what it says on the tin. I update it every month or so takes 2 minutes while I am on the Computer. £30 a year for the subscription but you can update it as many times as you like and the Snooper database is one of the most upto date and accurate.

Karl.

You can install a third party speed camera database (or any database) with Tech Pack
- but it won't beep (without additional hardware) when approaching a camera.

See:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a3-speed-camera-poibase.213099/
https://secure-www.audi.de/etc/medialib/ngw/myaudi/pdf.Par.0018.File.pdf
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/search/447923/?q=speed+camera&o=relevance&c[node]=244

Forgot I wanted to do this, and now it's handily collated in one place. Have you ever bothered?

I have an inforad k3 which I got off amazon when I got the A6 and stopped using tomtom. I was quite surprised how good it was for 30 quid and free updates.

Was looking at this little device. Gets some good reviews. What is the battery life like?

Don't bother with the so called "laser detectors" - useless. By the time you've been warned it's too late. Unless it's GPS don't bother.

Was looking at this little device. Gets some good reviews. What is the battery life like?

About 7-8 hours continuous use. Come with car charger though so easy to top up power as and when required.

About 7-8 hours continuous use. Come with car charger though so easy to top up power as and when required.

I had a look at one of these on Amazon, and there were quite a lot of 1 star reviews, saying that it missed more fixed cameras than it found, and complaining about the volume of the alerts. Also moans about the software / supporting docs only being in French (seems odd). Not a big outlay though, so I reckon it's worth a punt. I'm guessing from your comments that you'd recommend? :think:

I had a look at one of these on Amazon, and there were quite a lot of 1 star reviews, saying that it missed more fixed cameras than it found, and complaining about the volume of the alerts. Also moans about the software / supporting docs only being in French (seems odd). Not a big outlay though, so I reckon it's worth a punt. I'm guessing from your comments that you'd recommend? :think:

Sometimes it beeps and you wonder why. I've found the camera database to be pretty good. I haven't had any more problem in terms of it missing cameras than the Tom Tom, it's only usually new locations where they have been added and it takes time to catch up.

I don't have any problem using it. Don't think I have ever needed to refer to the manual. Pretty self explanatory TBH. The only thing that annoys me about it is the specs warnings where it sometimes goes a bit bonkers and beeps a lot, but I'd rather it beeped too much than not at all. I can always turn it off.

It's probably not the worlds best device but at the price I would recommend it. Particularly as the updates are free and on the whole where I live seem pretty accurate.

Sounds pretty good for the money.
Let's face it the TomTom goes a bit mad in areas where there are specs cameras too

Has anyone any experience of the Valentine 1, I see a lot of Americans use them and they seem to alert drivers to police sat on verges overhead and the like,

A) how does it detect this and

B) would it work like that in the uk as I know our police are very different with their systems

Sometimes it beeps and you wonder why. I've found the camera database to be pretty good. I haven't had any more problem in terms of it missing cameras than the Tom Tom, it's only usually new locations where they have been added and it takes time to catch up.

I don't have any problem using it. Don't think I have ever needed to refer to the manual. Pretty self explanatory TBH. The only thing that annoys me about it is the specs warnings where it sometimes goes a bit bonkers and beeps a lot, but I'd rather it beeped too much than not at all. I can always turn it off.

It's probably not the worlds best device but at the price I would recommend it. Particularly as the updates are free and on the whole where I live seem pretty accurate.

Thanks, always good to get a real world view. Much appreciated :icon thumright:

I think the best camera database available is the one from Personal GPS World. It seems to get updated more quickly than most others because users can get a free subscription if they report a change to a camera location. Once it has been verified the users gets a lifetime subscription as I did. I use a TomTom device but disable the TomTom speed cameras and load the PGPSW database instead. It's a shame that a lot of the newer TomTom units will not allow third party POI's (such as the camera database) to be added. I think the PGPSW database is also available for use on a mobile phones (both Apple and Android) as well.
Have a look at their website at: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&referer=SideBar and look in the right-hand sidebar for Camera Alerts.

I think the best camera database available is the one from Personal GPS World. It seems to get updated more quickly than most others because users can get a free subscription if they report a change to a camera location. Once it has been verified the users gets a lifetime subscription as I did.

Yes I agree that the Pocket GPS World database is very good. Actually they used to offer a free lifetime subscription if you notified them of a new/changed location but that has now been changed to a free 12 month subscription. But nevertheless it is very good.

+1 for PocketGPSworld

Dave is a lucky lifetime member.

I try to submit cameras to get a free year subscription. Been fortunate recently but the database is so good that someone else has usually spotted it first.

I think the pocket gps is the one the info rad uses from memory, I know it was when I bought mine. I presume it still is?

I'm using the PocketGPSworld database too. I've added the database to the SatNav and have it additionally loaded into my Android phone to give audible warnings. It seems to work reasonably well in the UK but on a recent trip through France it seemed that people had been reporting some emergency phones as cameras so it was giving repeated 'falsies' and had to be turned off in the end.

Reactions: nickatkinson
I'm using the PocketGPSworld database too. I've added the database to the SatNav and have it additionally loaded into my Android phone to give audible warnings. It seems to work reasonably well in the UK but on a recent trip through France it seemed that people had been reporting some emergency phones as cameras so it was giving repeated 'falsies' and had to be turned off in the end.

I have this in the BM at the minute and it works well enough other than temporary mobile cameras. It only interrupts the music via Bluetooth for a second or two or you can turn this option off if prefered.

Is adding the data base to the in built nav easy to do?

Nick