Speed Camera Logos On MMI

Chang

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this was me being super fussy or making a problem out of nothing but I recently just installed Speed Cameras POI's as per following this Guide and using PocketGPS World and POI Base, I was a bit disappointed with the icons for the cameras on the Cars MMI display, they looked a bit naff and didn't really fit the smooth graphics of the maps and other POI's that the car displays normally, like hospitals and cinemas etc.
I'm not sure If this is quite a common little tweak people do when adding speed cameras but I haven't come across any posts with this little tweak so i'll carry on explaining.
When you add the speed cameras as per the guide I linked above, and after you added the Bitmap icons that come with the speed camera data you download from PocketGPS, you end up with this as the finished result on your MMI,
kyjlxZf.jpg

And it all works perfectly fine, and again I dunno if this is me being super fussy, but the icons including the others (Redlight, Fixed cameras) just don't fit well within the look of the cars map graphics, so after a bit of messing about and being a tart, I ended up getting my icons to look a bit nicer and something like this:
anxi7lV.jpg

NrWhU7G.jpg

As you can see it's such a small change but I think it makes it feel more OEM and like the car came pre installed with the camera locations from the factory, myself personally wasn't very keen on the fixed camera locations icon being white as I felt it blended in with other POI's on the cars map, and didn't stand out too well, So I used this yellow icon that I found from this old forum post by Taurus https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/speed-camera-poi.248853/ and set that as my fixed camera location icon, and edited it a little by adding the letter A into the icon that shows where average speed cameras are, and also so I can differentiate them from fixed cameras, to end up with a result like this:
aOc1XmB.jpg
It looks much better in person just my phone's camera isn't amazing at taking pictures of my cars screen.
If anyone is interested in doing this little tweak, as minor as it is, I've made a small guide below.

If you already have cameras installed in your car, you will have to re add the categories to POI base in order for the Icons to update.

So when you get this screen on POI base, when adding the camera categories instead of adding the Icon that comes with the PocketGPS download, Add one of the ones i've attached, but instead of adding it to the 22x22 option, add it to the 44x44 first like this:
zzDx6Io.png

And then after add it to the 22x22 option, so you should end up like this:
L4hteUo.png

With the same file listed in both options, you have to do this part otherwise the nicer looking Icons that a slightly larger end up getting scaled down to 22x22 by the car and thus reducing their resolution to a couple of yellow and black blurry pixels on your cars map.
You can double check it has both options selected, if after adding the categories you click the edit button, and it should look something like this:
uYEF8x0.png

If it looks like this, and also for all the other categories like Specs cameras, you're all good to go, transfer it onto the memory stick and then transfer it into the car as per the video linked at the top shows, one thing to note though if you have camera POI's already installed in your car make sure you select the option 'Delete MyAudi special Destinations' in the navigation settings menu, before transfering your new better icon camera POI's so its in theory a clean transfer.
I'll attach some other icons also, including a white speed camera logo I found if some people still prefer having that for their fixed speed cameras, along with its yellow counterpart, although this yellow icon isn't as nice looking as the one in the pictures.
I also did a similar thing for the traffic light cameras to end up with something like this:
frxaBBv.jpg

As the Redlight camera icon that came with the PocketGPS download was also a bit small, Still not 100% decided on it yet.
Anyway let me know what you think.

Mitch

Attachments

• Speed Camera Logo -In Use.png
    Speed Camera Logo -In Use.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Speed Camera Logo Average Check -In Use.png
    Speed Camera Logo Average Check -In Use.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Logo White - Not In Use.png
    Logo White - Not In Use.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Logo Yellow - Not In Use.png
    Logo Yellow - Not In Use.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 151
  • RedLight.png
    RedLight.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 278
Thanks for sharing but I noticed that there might be a need to pay for this - is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing but I noticed that there might be a need to pay for this - is this correct?

For the database that contains the camera locations, you will have to, it’s only £20 a year so well worth it, there is possibly some free options out there, but I doubt they are up go date as much as PocketGPS

For the database that contains the camera locations, you will have to, it’s only £20 a year so well worth it, there is possibly some free options out there, but I doubt they are up go date as much as PocketGPS

Not too bad then. Especially if you use your MMI satnav.

Does the MMI warn you at all?

Not too bad then. Especially if you use your MMI satnav.

Does the MMI warn you at all?

You can set it so it displays a notification when you approach it, and also you can make it beep, I haven’t tested both these settings out yet, so I’m not 100% sure how well they work, but I’ve seen other people reckon it’s okay:)

HI There

I've used PocketGPS in the same way as above for years.....I can confirm there really is no point setting to warn and beep, or even notification. This is because the Audi MMI cannot "warn when on route" like old TomToms etc used to do, it can only warn when a certain distance away.

What this means in practice, is you're driving down a dual carriageway and it warns you that you are near a camera, even if the camera is on the other side of the carriageway, a road/bridge above the carriageway, or even a completely separate road near the carriage way!

It's not smart enough to know whether it's relevant to you or not, and just warns if you are within a certain distance radius wise, so it means it's going off all the time which is annoying, and also loses it's impact when you never know if it's even an issue to worry about or not. The setting may be useful for other POIs like petrol stations cafes etc when you just want an alert there is one nearby, but useless for this application

HI There

I've used PocketGPS in the same way as above for years.....I can confirm there really is no point setting to warn and beep, or even notification. This is because the Audi MMI cannot "warn when on route" like old TomToms etc used to do, it can only warn when a certain distance away.

What this means in practice, is you're driving down a dual carriageway and it warns you that you are near a camera, even if the camera is on the other side of the carriageway, a road/bridge above the carriageway, or even a completely separate road near the carriage way!

It's not smart enough to know whether it's relevant to you or not, and just warns if you are within a certain distance radius wise, so it means it's going off all the time which is annoying, and also loses it's impact when you never know if it's even an issue to worry about or not. The setting may be useful for other POIs like petrol stations cafes etc when you just want an alert there is one nearby, but useless for this application
Yeah I did see a few posts about it warning it about cameras on the other side of the road, myself personally prefer no notifications as I drive with the map displayed on my virtual cockpit, so I can see if there is one coming up ahead

@Chang Any chance of you uploading the file to a cloud service so I can download it to my car too please. Happy to contribute some money if you need. PM me. Thanks.

@Chang Any chance of you uploading the file to a cloud service so I can download it to my car too please. Happy to contribute some money if you need. PM me. Thanks.
Sure, what file would you like? All the logos?
As soon as I’m back from holiday I’ll upload them for you:)

how you are proposing to download this file into the cars nav system . My understanding on the latest version it cannot be done so would be interested to understand the process here

how you are proposing to download this file into the cars nav system . My understanding on the latest version it cannot be done so would be interested to understand the process here

No chance
24688d0060889046396fadd4c543fae8.jpg

Reactions: Frizzley
No chance
24688d0060889046396fadd4c543fae8.jpg

Thx for confirming - that’s exactly what I understood.

Personally find Waze much better than the offering from Audi

Thx for confirming - that’s exactly what I understood.

Personally find Waze much better than the offering from Audi

Yup agreed.

Was speaking to Alex yesterday about this, no way to add POI to the MMI.

Do you guys have B9.5’s then? With the touch screen?