Speed Camera POI

taurus

Reaction score
OK - I know that there are other threads on the forum about speed camera detectors and such, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on this.

The A3 8V sat nav system can import custom points of interest (POI) files, which means you can have icons appear on the maps to show things of interest. This includes speed cameras.

So, off I tootle to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com and download the latest database. You need to select the Garmin format. Once you have that, the fun begins!

Take yourself to My Audi > Special Destinations (don't worry - you don't need to have Audi Connect) and then go to the section to do with personal POIs. Add the Garmin images and also a suitable icon (as attached) and then you can create some lists. I named them 'Speed Cameras - SPECS' and 'Speed Cameras - GATSO' for the two main types that I want to know about. There are others and they are all downloaded as separate files from PocketGPSWorld, so easy to show / hide the ones you want.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2019.47.23.PNG

After a few moments it is then possible to download the files from Audi and put them on an SD card and copy them to your MMI system.

The final but is to enable the map to show certain POIs on the maps at all times.

However, there is a catch. For some reason the POIs are set to only show up at a certain zoom level, so when trundling along a motorway, the icons are not shown. So I delve in to the data files and then find the appropriate part of the code and change the zoom level.

(For the technical people, edit the file categories.pc so that the zoom level is set to max=30.)

Awesome, now I have cameras shown while driving along.

IMG_0315.JPG

Perfect!

No warnings like a real detector / alert system, but darn useful when on main roads. Of course this does not help with mobile cameras, but it's still more useful than nothing. I might add the mobile and red light cameras in due course, but that means updating weekly, which is quite a chore!

Attachments

• speed-camera.png
    speed-camera.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 4,876
Reactions: missile, MikeSel^, KimboS4 and 16 others
Epic !! Gonna try this - great post - thanks !!

PM me - I might be able to save you time!

Any chance of hosting the contents of the memory stick on Dropbox or similar for the less computer literate amongst us ?

Also how is this uploaded to the MMI ?

Thanks again.

When I do this, I stick the file(s) onto a memory card, then plug them into the car go to menu, setup MMI, System Update, select SD card. A few seconds later it's done. Very much like you would if you updated the Nav from the Audi site via an SD card

Reactions: Rob2k68
Very nice, this is really good.

Where is the .pc file located? From the d/l on pocketgps?

Reactions: slinemfc
The contents need to be copied to an SD card or USB stick and then put in to the MMI. Power it on and then select 'Menu > Setup MMI > System update'. It will then import the camera database.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

Job done!

Database is a paid for service, so I am unable to post it on this forum. Sorry.

Reactions: Simon L, Jassyo06, A3_Rider and 2 others
The file you need to edit comes as part of the download from Audi, not PocketGPSW.

This is the folder, as downloaded. Edit the selected file with a text editor.
Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2020.29.17.PNG

Then copy all the files on to an SD card / USB stick, making sure they are not in a sub-directory.

Reactions: A3_Rider and Rob2k68
That is awesome... I was hoping some smart cookie would figure how to do this.. :hubbahubba:

Cheers Sam :respekt:
- first job at work tomorrow !

I don't know, but if you have an SD card slot, you could give it a try?

Hmm, just logged into My Audi for the first time in a few months... and it's all in German! It was definitely in English last time I used it, and my personal details, the car details, my local dealer etc are still there, it's just all in German. Need to try and figure out how to change that back before attempting the above.

Damn, special destinations is nowhere to be seen on 'my audi' section of the site :(

This is terrific - thanks! I had to go into the Audi Connect area to find the Special Destinations bit. Will upload to the car in the morning.

Send me a PM and I can send you a set of files to try ...

Reactions: avant_karl
If anyone manages to do this with the SD version of the sat nav I would a very interested to hear. Many thanks

@Fox5150 - remember you need to change the zoom level in the file I mentioned, otherwise when the map zooms out to anything more than city level it seems to hide the POI icons.

Thanks for explaining how this works. Definitely something I will try.

@Fishheskettpark - do you have an SD card slot? PM me and I can send you a file to try.
I do have a spare SD card slot however I don't actually know if the SD Card Sat Nav allows you to update anything. Haven't had a chance to look.

Also, sorry to be dumb but how do I PM you? Thank you for the offer of a file though - - much appreciated.

....remember you need to change the zoom level in the file I mentioned, otherwise when the map zooms out to anything more than city level it seems to hide the POI icons.

In my categories.pc file I had to edit zoom level=30 in four places as I'm importing gatso, specs, mobile and red light cameras so I guess one for each database so worth looking out for this.

@Rob2k68 - yes, that's right. You could, for example, leave the red light ones as they were, as they are unlikely to be of interest when going fast!

Something strange going on with mine. I have all of the files prepared and wiped my SD card it had mp3 on before (moved to a temporary folder on my computer so I can revert back easily) so I know it's formatted correctly but when I go to system update all of my inputs SD1, SD2, etc are greyed out.

Any ideas ? What folder should be on the route of the SD card is it PersonalPOI ? I've updated the maps before with no issue.

@Rob2k68 - my SD card has other stuff on it, but I move them to temporary folders. You need to make sure that at the top level of the SD card is the folder PersonalPOI and the file metainfo2.txt. Both must be at the top level. That being said, even if there are no files on the SD card, I think it should show up as an option for Software update (it checks after you click), so maybe the card is faulty? Do you have another to try?

@Rob2k68 - my SD card has other stuff on it, but I move them to temporary folders. You need to make sure that at the top level of the SD card is the folder PersonalPOI and the file metainfo2.txt. Both must be at the top level. That being said, even if there are no files on the SD card, I think it should show up as an option for Software update (it checks after you click), so maybe the card is faulty? Do you have another to try?

Cheers for the reply. My spare SD card is at home but I'm pretty sure this one is good the videos were playing before I removed it and moved things off it. I don't have the metainfo2.txt file, where does this come from ? Cheers !

@Rob2k68 - are you using the downloaded file from Audi or the one I sent (which definitely has the file in it)? What folders do you see when you open the SD card on your computer?

Ah I have found metainfo2 from the connect download location but I had not dragged that over to the SD card. I'll add that then give it a try once the rain stops but should be good to go finger's crossed. I've also done as you suggested and changed image_3.png (red light cameras) zoom level max ="9"

@Rob2k68 - excellent! Do share a photo of the red light cameras in action!

Success !!!! big thanks to @taurus

Looking forward to testing this on the way home !

Now I just need to put Bolt, Nemo and friends back on SD2 for little lad.

Ah no joy in afraid - think I know why though ? I suspect I need to switch off the Google Earth overlay and set it to standard, I've ticket the boxes for all of the cameras under map content.

Do you need to set a destination or should it work with just the map on ? Thanks in advance.

Just checked Rob2k68 and yeah doesn't appear to work with Google Earth overlay on, It works in the traffic overlay, I made sure that when in google earth overlay, that the icons were checked, but nothing showed up, only the "home" destination flag showed when parked on my drive, so if that can show surely it can show the other ones too!

Your a ****** legend, i didnt think it was doable without connect, thanks so much!

Does it give you an audible warning as well when you approach the camera? Or is it just a case of keeping an eye on the map to see when it's coming up?

@Rob2k68 - I meant to mention that I had also spotted it didn't work with Google Earth. I'll have a dig about, but it does show on the traffic and non-traffic screens.

@Kimmy.E - I have previously looked at trying to get this to work, as there is a column in the database for 'warning', but there, as you can imagine, is zero documentation about, so it's a bit tricky in getting testing done. I'll create a POI set that just includes a few places about home and see what I can get to work. Even if there were warnings, I have no idea how they'd work, as I imagine they'd be pinging up all the time, regardless of speed.