Speed Camera POI

A few times on this thread people have reported an issue where the car states that the 'data is too old to load', I've not previously had the time or inclination to look into it, however it turns out to have been a relatively simple thing to fix, hopefully it'll benefit some.

All that was required was to add the following two lines to the 'metainfo2.txt' file. I'm guessing that vehicles check that their variant is listed before accepting the file. in other variants the two letters after the EU are the Manufacture, so I'm guessing this change means that all MQB Skodas should now work and all MLE audis (not sure what MLE stands for?) Also not sure what the difference is between the FMU FM2 and FMQ designations.

variant7 = "FM2-H-*-EU-SK-MQB"
variant8 = "FMQ-*-*-EU-AU-MLE"

New version now up on the site http://git.mcaddy.co.uk/, you should now be running v0.9.4

Just found out about this, do I just subscribe to PockerGPS, download the files and use mcaddy's software to load it onto my SD card? I've got a 2018 S3 with the tech pack.

Thanks,

I need to find a free speed camera database I can use with this. I had a good look and found one, csv in zip format, but when i tried to use it with the app, the app just closed.

I need to find a free speed camera database I can use with this. I had a good look and found one, csv in zip format, but when i tried to use it with the app, the app just closed.

Just subscribe to PGPSW - it’s only 20GBP a year and the database will be more up to date than any freebie / pirated version.

Have been a member for ~15 years.

Reactions: Bells

If it's an identical format to the Pocket GPS file it ought to work but it's not how the tool has been designed or tested.

Only £20? I got mouths to feed.

So someone should collect the data and provide it free - how does that work? You've got a £30K car (I guess) and £20 is too much for a useful service like PGPS. Easy solution - don't get it and just take the risk. Thousands, nay millions of others do just that. Just saying .....

Reactions: lfcrule1972
@mcaddy - thanks for doing this. Will be giving it a go over the weekend. Looking at the instructions on your site, it covers verified mobiles but not unverified cameras - could the latter be added too? I know that Audi system limits the number of special destination categories.

@mcaddy - thanks for doing this. Will be giving it a go over the weekend. Looking at the instructions on your site, it covers verified mobiles but not unverified cameras - could the latter be added too? I know that Audi system limits the number of special destination categories.
Don’t think Audi have a limit that I know of, I’ve got all types of cameras loaded never had any issues

I have subscribed to PWGPS, but don't really need it for my jurisdiction as our red light and speed cam locations are freely published by the provincial government on Google Maps so I have it in gpx/kml/kmz formats anyway. My question is more around challenges with the tools. McAddy defaults to downloading the EU version of the PWGPS database. My preference would be to use a North American wide version (I'm in Canada but frequently drive to the US) but cannot find a way of getting that database into my MMI unit.

Any thoughts? Also, anyone figured out how to get audible warnings on the MMI units that don't have Audi Connect (like on my 2018 RS3) and therefore do not support "special destinations"?

The App will give you the choice of including either only verified or both verified and unverified cameras, this has been an optional setting since the outset. The default is to include all cameras regardless of status.

I think the AUDI website might have a limit, but the software I've written doesn't and I've yet to create a database (80k POIs across ~15 categories) that fails to load in my car.

Reactions: JohnM100
I have subscribed to PWGPS, but don't really need it for my jurisdiction as our red light and speed cam locations are freely published by the provincial government on Google Maps so I have it in gpx/kml/kmz formats anyway. My question is more around challenges with the tools. McAddy defaults to downloading the EU version of the PWGPS database. My preference would be to use a North American wide version (I'm in Canada but frequently drive to the US) but cannot find a way of getting that database into my MMI unit.

Any thoughts? Also, anyone figured out how to get audible warnings on the MMI units that don't have Audi Connect (like on my 2018 RS3) and therefore do not support "special destinations"?

Your the first to request anything other than UK cameras, until this becomes a regular request, I'll not implement anything specific. For now if you use the app but fail to login (supply a invalid password or username). You should then be prompted to do a manual download and import, if you go to PocketGPSWorld fetch the download you'd prefer, choose 'Other - CSV' as the satnav system and the relevant region. Once downloaded this file can be used with my app to create the database for MMI import.

I must admit I'm a bit of a bore. One problem with having speed camera location is it's illegal in France where we probably do 2,00 miles a year. Chances of getting pulled are slim biut the fine could be heavy, so beware if your going this route.
I normally use the cars satnav, but when towing have a Garmin/Avtex unit that automatically switches off camera location when in france.

Colin

Your the first to request anything other than UK cameras, until this becomes a regular request, I'll not implement anything specific. For now if you use the app but fail to login (supply a invalid password or username). You should then be prompted to do a manual download and import, if you go to PocketGPSWorld fetch the download you'd prefer, choose 'Other - CSV' as the satnav system and the relevant region. Once downloaded this file can be used with my app to create the database for MMI import.

Thanks for the reply ... not looking for you to do a ton of work, will give this approach a try and see how it goes. Thanks again.

I must admit I'm a bit of a bore. One problem with having speed camera location is it's illegal in France where we probably do 2,00 miles a year. Chances of getting pulled are slim biut the fine could be heavy, so beware if your going this route.
I normally use the cars satnav, but when towing have a Garmin/Avtex unit that automatically switches off camera location when in france.

Colin
having speed camera location is illegal??? WHAAA?? Have you ever used waze app on phone???
you wan to tell me if I use it am criminal or ??

You are not allowed any speed camera detection or location information, warning device etc in France.
The facts are it is illegal. If you want to risk it then it's down to you.

Colin

You are not allowed any speed camera detection or location information, warning device etc in France.
The facts are it is illegal. If you want to risk it then it's down to you.

Colin
they will never know they are daft they think smartphone is just for calling :D :D :D

Hi all I've been trying to add these onto my fl 8v but keep getting a error message as per photo . I've done on my tt 8s no problem. My a3 has sim embedded tt hasn't. Have audi updated to stop this .thanks in advance
ef6f98e1d7fbba6d595b09b9ba153841.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Does anybody know how I can remove these? Trying to turn my car back to standard before I return it. Thanks

Morning all,
I'm having problems downloading speed cameras using the mcaddy app. The data base starts to load then the app suddenly closes ( I do have an active subscription).
Anyone else having this issue ? , perhaps @mcaddy can throw some light on it.Screenshot 37

The problem seems to have resolved itself, the app is working fine now, :friendly wink::friendly wink:

What size do the PNG files need to be?. Is it Ok to use the ones in post 68 as they are 200x200 or do they need to be resize 33x33 or 44x44 for example?
For my A4 with VC. I got my data from Here I wanted better images so I've renamed them to match the originals I just wanted to check the size before uploading to the nav. Original are 33x33

Last edited:
(For the technical people, edit the file categories.pc so that the zoom level is set to max=30.)
Hi!
<zoomlevel max="0" min="0"/>
What zoom should I change? What are the maximum and minimum levels' from 0 to?
Another question, is it possible to change the distance for the alert? The alert comes up when I am too close to the camera.
Thanks!!!!

Hi!
<zoomlevel max="0" min="0"/>
What zoom should I change? What are the maximum and minimum levels' from 0 to?
Another question, is it possible to change the distance for the alert? The alert comes up when I am too close to the camera.
Thanks!!!!
Hi, I've designed an app which does POI conversion, it's getting a bit patchy now which cars are supported so your millage might vary, you don't need to use it if you have a better tool but it's helped many on this forum.

For what it's worth In the POI files my tool generate I use min of 0 and max of 48.