Speed Camera Question.

unkle

Beer God
Reaction score
If a gatso is mounted on the opposite side of the road facing towards you and it flashes am I gonna get a bill for £60 in two weeks time? I was half asleep and blundered through it doing 35ish (ah b*ll*cks!) but there was a car on the other side of the road and also some **** in a Lexus infront of me driving like a nob so Im not 100% it was me anyway :(

It was one of these, to make matters worse Ive driven past it a million times before...

463px-Gatso_Camera.jpg

I've had plenty of Scameras flash me going to wards them, nothing in the post at all. Don't think it's legal to fine you this way, as the flash effects your vision when you are heading towards it!

Ah ok thanks thats promising, in Germany they all face forwards and have tremendous flashes, sometimes even bright purple...

Never been had a speeding fine in the UK though so fingers crossed. :)

You'll be ok with that, guaranteed :)

Gatso can't get you as you approach them.

yer they aint allowed to flash you in the face, not in the uk anyway

the ones that face towards you are digital and dont flash, got done by one few years back :(

As the others stated, you'll be fine mate! Happens to me all the time with one particular camera!

Ah ok thanks thats promising, in Germany they all face forwards and have tremendous flashes, sometimes even bright purple...

Never been had a speeding fine in the UK though so fingers crossed. :)

Yeah been done a fair few times in Germany. They were always hidden in a car at the side of the road. So far nothing in the UK though :icon_thumright:

also to add to the speed point. if your doing 38 and under in a 30 and get flashed by a camera then you stand a high chance of getting offered the speed awareness course which is around £60 and no points

also to add to the speed point. if your doing 38 and under in a 30 and get flashed by a camera then you stand a high chance of getting offered the speed awareness course which is around £60 and no points

Not if you're in Solihull, missus got done for 36 in a 30, 3 points and 60 quid!

yer they aint allowed to flash you in the face, not in the uk anyway

Not quite true.

They can't get you going forwards because they calculate your speed from the distance travelled between the two photos. Therefore they'll get a shot of the roof of your car and a second one of the road where you used to be...

Not quite true.

They can't get you going forwards because they calculate your speed from the distance travelled between the two photos. Therefore they'll get a shot of the roof of your car and a second one of the road where you used to be...

Not sure where you got that from but there's no reason why they wouldn't be able to take two photos of you whilst you're still coming towards the camera.

Not sure where you got that from but there's no reason why they wouldn't be able to take two photos of you whilst you're still coming towards the camera.

They do have front facing camera's in some regions (Portsmouth and Southampton have these).

The yellow one in the picture is a GATSO, they have the ability to get you from the front HOWEVER they are not Home Office approved for forward facing speed detection in the UK. The pinciple is the same, the 2 pictures are taken as you go over the lines then the ticket office look at the pictures and measure how many lines you have gone over between the 2 pictures...distance over time gives your speed.

The only ones that get you from the front in this country are the Truvelo type, like this...

Truvelo1.jpg

These dont require any road markings to pinch you either...or a flash :)

T

Sorry to go off topic but if your license is sent off and doesn't come back with 3 points stamped anywhere (actual offense stamped) then does that mean you haven't lost points?

Not quite true.

unfortunatley dude im living proof that you're wrong, got done by one of these forward facing jobbies out by stratford a few years ago on the way to silverstone, was over taking someone at the time too so i thought my number plate may have been out of shot, but no such luck :(

unfortunatley dude im living proof that you're wrong, got done by one of these forward facing jobbies out by stratford a few years ago on the way to silverstone, was over taking someone at the time too so i thought my number plate may have been out of shot, but no such luck :(

You wont have been pinched by a GATSO buddy.

Im still on my German driving license so they can shove the points up their a***. :)

Its the £60 Im more concerned about better in my pocket than theirs...

Thanks for all the replies, Ive been a good lad since returning from Germany its the first time Ive been flashed, think Ive done 90k worth of driving in the two years Ive been back hopefully Ive escaped. *touchwood*

Last edited:
What if you were on the wrong side of the road, driving towards a Gatso? Overtaking and speeding, for example.

Also, what if there are marking on both sides of the road, is it just a scare tactic?

The markings on the other side of the road are to prevent you just going onto the other carriageway to miss the camera, or to get you if you're overtaking.

Yep, I get them through at work where I'm on the wrong side of the road overtaking stuff. Stops sneaky people using the opposite lane to avoid being zapped!.

Buggers have thought of everything! :)

You wont have been pinched by a GATSO buddy.

Tom's right - The people i work with service these, and as Tom says they can't do you frontways - Musr have been one on your side also!
This all all getting a bit confused. Jonny and I were both saying that Keeno was wrong saying the forwards facing cameras (not the Gatsos) cannot take your photo.

They take a photo but they get binned as the prosecution hasnt been authorised by the home office.

So if you go towards one over the limit and it flashed when they upload the pics etc they will see it and bin it...no further action.

So in short you might get a flash but you certainly wont get a ticket off a GATSO from driving towards it.

If in doubt, just do what the lot round my way do. Either wrap a tyre round it and set it on fire, or steal a car, park it underneath and set it on fire.

Either way - fire is involved....

The one in question looked very much like this:
1000-gatso-robocop-speed-cameras-burned.jpg

They take a photo but they get binned as the prosecution hasnt been authorised by the home office.

So if you go towards one over the limit and it flashed when they upload the pics etc they will see it and bin it...no further action.

So in short you might get a flash but you certainly wont get a ticket off a GATSO from driving towards it.

Ok but I was saying that the Truvelo cameras CAN take your photo, twice, that's all.

A Gatso shouldn't take your photo if you drive towards it because it SHOULD have been programmed to only accept detections of speeds in excess of the pre-set limit in one direction. I see no reason why they wouldn't have included that simple bit of hardware to prevent confusion and a waste of film.

I know, which is why I was talking about GATSO's stating that it wouldnt have been a GATSO that caught the poster out when driving towards it :)

Oh just an update went past the same camera Saturday morning again, realised there arent markings on the side of the road I was on (facing towards the camera on the other side of the road) still keeping my fingers crossed...