Speed limit display

JW1971

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the forum having just received a 35TFSi Edition 1. In general, I love the car, but didn't get the electric seats, so am negotiating with Audi ref replacement of the vehicle or compensation.

One other thing that is an issue that no-one in the supplying dealer seems to be able to answer is whether the MMI should display the maximum speed limit for the road on the navigation screen. The brochure and handbook says yes (although the handbook implies only on motorways, dual carriage ways and major roads), but my car doesn't show it.

Please could someone (or a few forum members) confirm what their car does:

- MMI and VC
- MMI
- No speed limit display

I appreciate that the car could have the traffic sign recognition added as a factory option, but all Audi's for the last 10-15 years have shown the speed limit on the nav screen, so I would have expected this to be possible.

Many thanks to all.

Cheers, James

Perfect - thank you.

Just looking at your signature, are you able to code traffic sign recognition as I believe the car has the relevant camera ?

If so, how much please.

I had the same question, I can’t seem to find a setting that disables/enables this in my S3

be good to know if it’s possible

Isn’t access to coding via OBD2 disabled in VAG products from MY20 onwards? I know it is with Mk8 Golf, thought it was the same with 8Y Audi - unless you have dealer access?

I’m still surprised the Audi doesn’t have an image of the car show up on the screen when reversing to show how close you are to things. My Ford Focus has it so why not my Audi?

MMI, based on current recorded speed limit within your navigation data.

Is this as standard, and if so what model year is it on?

In my 8Y S3 it doesn’t show at all and I can’t find any settings to enable it, which is frustrating.

Reactions: MELenium
Is this as standard, and if so what model year is it on?

In my 8Y S3 it doesn’t show at all and I can’t find any settings to enable it, which is frustrating.
Should be standard. The 8Y starts from 2020

Bizarre, nothing there either when navigating or when its on standard view, only way i can view is to get apple maps on and actually navigate.

Will ring Audio about it when they’re back open next week.

I agree I thought it would be standard, my Cupra has the speed limit and traffic sign display. Seems odd that the "premium" brand doesn't have it.

Reactions: pburv
You have to pay a premium for the traffic sign display on the premium brand :blush: (It’s included in the Driver Assistance Pack.)
They will start charging for the air that goes in the tyres next
doh.gif

Reactions: RS3 S. and pburv
They will start charging for the air that goes in the tyres next
doh.gif
We know where to put the 'smart money' mate.:thumbs up:
The air comes free with our Cupra's:whistle2:lol

Reactions: Jcbmally
We know where to put the 'smart money' mate.:thumbs up:
The air comes free with our Cupra's:whistle2:lol
Dead right mate, no badge snobbery here
funky.gif

Best bang for buck I've spent on a motor:racer:
Totally agree, I think we may be accused of being biased but I can honestly say the car makes me grin Paul, loads of fun and SWMBO loves it too.

Totally agree, I think we may be accused of being biased but I can honestly say the car makes me grin Paul, loads of fun and SWMBO loves it too.
Ditto buddy. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

It does state in the MMI Nav plus option on the website that it displays speed limits, so something not quite right here.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Thanks all,

I’ve contacted Audi UK but the person I spoke to was totally unhelpful. I’ve subsequently raised a case with the Audi connect team who are yet to respond.

Please also review your owners manuals - pages 219 & 220, both of which confirm it is standard. The configuration on the Audi UK website states ‘- Country information: display of country-specific information e.g. on applicable speed limits’ (https://www.uk.audi.com/uk/web/en/m...thek_infolayer.trimline_trimline_technic.html‘.

Looks like another spec mess by Audi, just like the electric seats I didn’t get either (35 TFSi Edition 1)!

cheers

Thanks all,

I’ve contacted Audi UK but the person I spoke to was totally unhelpful. I’ve subsequently raised a case with the Audi connect team who are yet to respond.

Please also review your owners manuals - pages 219 & 220, both of which confirm it is standard. The configuration on the Audi UK website states ‘- Country information: display of country-specific information e.g. on applicable speed limits’ (https://www.uk.audi.com/uk/web/en/m...thek_infolayer.trimline_trimline_technic.html‘.

Looks like another spec mess by Audi, just like the electric seats I didn’t get either (35 TFSi Edition 1)!

cheers

I’ll do the same, the more noise we create the more likely they are to fix it.

CarPlay and apple maps works but only whilst you’ve keyed in a destination, it doesn’t show permanently.

Speaking to Audi Connect guys as they’re saying that i have everything i need for it, I’ve even got traffic information in Audi connect enabled but I think that relates to the active traffic information that shows on the VC and might need additional hardware for that.

It does also show in the user manual, on page 219 theres an image with the speed available on there too. So if its not available due to issues between audi and Google, then they need to either replace it or sort the online configuration and manual out as it isn’t present on my Nav unit at the minute.

I think there’s some balls up on the configuration on these cars, Everyone at Audi I’ve spoken to so far tells me that my car has Traffic recognition enabled, but I don't have the options in the car settings and the configurator says its part of a driver assistance pack costing an additional £1700 which i definitely didnt spec.

In the manual it states that if you have that option then it doesn’t show speed limit on the map, so either it needs the Camera related functionally turning on or it needs to be changed so that the speed limit shows on the MMI as shown in the manual.

I asked the same question to the salesman about the speed limit warning, my old A3 saloon used to display the speed limit on the Nav screen, he said something about road sign camera package. Anyway fast forward a few days and I was driving along a A road and the speed limit reduced and I noticed on the virtual cockpit a speed limit warning telling me to slow down. Similar to when you approach a roundabout and it tells you to reduce speed.
My car is a S-line no optional extras only metallic paint.

I asked the same question to the salesman about the speed limit warning, my old A3 saloon used to display the speed limit on the Nav screen, he said something about road sign camera package. Anyway fast forward a few days and I was driving along a A road and the speed limit reduced and I noticed on the virtual cockpit a speed limit warning telling me to slow down. Similar to when you approach a roundabout and it tells you to reduce speed.
My car is a S-line no optional extras only metallic paint.

Hmmm Very odd, I’m waiting for a call back from an Audi service dept today. Audi connect team did call me back yesterday and advise that i shouldn’t see anything on VC as they were wrong and my car doesn’t have Traffic sign recognition, despite being subscribed to that service through Audi connect.

They also said it might be due to the google maps partnership Audi had coming to an end, seems a bit odd though as the current speed limit should just be readily available data they just need to display it on the MMI, unless they’ve disabled it to drive more sales of the Traffic based system, which IMO is a bit naughty.

Hi All,

An update. My car is in the local dealer at present. After 24 hours of liaising with Audi UK technical, they have confirmed that the manual and online configuration are wrong and Audi know all about it ! This is nothing to do with Google maps which affects only pre-2019 build cars.

The car does NOT have speed limit display, but is fully capable of having the traffic sign recognition switched on as the hardware and software required are all in the car. However, they won’t switch mine on, but have confirmed that I can buy it when they launch it via the ‘functions on demand’ service but can’t confirm when this will be available.

To add insult to injury, the local dealer has supplied an A5 Edition 1 as a loan car. It has the same VC and MMI software and guess what ? Yep, the speed limit is displayed on the MMI screen. Ridiculous.

I’ve left this with my lease company to sort. There are 3 options: Audi can switch on traffic sign recognition now for free; they can offer me substantial compensation; or they can take the car back as it has been mis-sold (mine is also is missing the electric seats thar are standard on the car so Audi has already agreed to take it back if I wish - I’ve also been offered substantial compensation for this issue).

I’d suggest getting on to your supplying dealer. Audi have offered a feature that hasn’t been supplied and you should be getting compensation.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Noticed on the my.Audi.com website, it references a traffic sign recognition preparation for FOD - i presume as above this is so it can be turned on by functions on demand when available, I’ll be asking for it to be fitted free of charge as above.Seems to me Audi have deliberately removed this functionality to force people to purchase it through the shop, bit naughty....

Features on Demand seems to be one of the reasons why VAG have blocked access to the OBD2 port on all new models, normally you could just activate all these features within a few minutes using an OBD2 tool (as long as the required hardware was fitted)

Thanks for this thread, I was driving myself crazy trying to find the option in the menus to switch it all on as per the manual stating it is standard. I'm in the same position as you - Edition 1 without the electric seats and waiting on compensation (that I wouldn't personally call substantial, but the bear minimum I couldn't get them to move from). It's kind of taking the shine off my first Audi experience to be honest.

Hi jsnbts,

I've bitten the bullet and rejected my car (relatively easy to do as car was 'not a described' under CRA 2015). I'm gutted as I really liked it, but the lack of electric seats meant the overall adjustment range wasn't sufficient for me to establish a comfortable driving position (I'm now paying for a physio to put me right). FYI, the offer I received ref the seats was financial compensation plus 2 free services.

I was also offered compensation for the speed limit display not being on the car (apparently Audi are fully aware and accept that the configurator and owners manual are incorrect). My dealer also confirmed that Traffic Sign Recognition will be available for all A3s soon via the 'functions on demand' service, but there will be a charge for this !!

I last bought a new Audi in 2010 and had major issues with that car too, so have driven BMW and Mercedes ever since, all without issue. Sadly, this will be my last ever attempt to give Audi a try.

I'm now left without a daily driver, although I do have a weekend toy that I can use whilst trying to find a replacement - not easy when all the showrooms are closed.

I hope you get some joy ref compensation. Please PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

Audi dealership have now come back and said this isn’t a feature on my vehicle, it’s not a fault and that’s how it’s supposed to be, I think that’s ******** based on what’s displayed in the manual so I’ve challenged back and said they need to sort it. How can it clearly be displayed in the manual along with a description that says speed limits shown on any vehicle that doesn’t have traffic based recognition if it’s not a feature that’s available?

see what they come back with, seems a bit **** if they’ve consciously decided to turn it off and just convinced me that they’re just trying to screw more money out of people for the traffic based display.

Reactions: Jcbmally and AdamInKent
Audi dealership have now come back and said this isn’t a feature on my vehicle, it’s not a fault and that’s how it’s supposed to be, I think that’s ******** based on what’s displayed in the manual so I’ve challenged back and said they need to sort it. How can it clearly be displayed in the manual along with a description that says speed limits shown on any vehicle that doesn’t have traffic based recognition if it’s not a feature that’s available?

see what they come back with, seems a bit **** if they’ve consciously decided to turn it off and just convinced me that they’re just trying to screw more money out of people for the traffic based display.
They will probably come back stating a disclaimer in the manual "depending country ".
This is in the Cupra manual, still VAG though;
"Some of the features described here are not included in all the types or variations of the model and they can be varied or modified based on technical or marketing requirements without it being considered misleading advertising."

Also this;
"The features marked with an asterisk are included by default only in certain versions of the model, supplied as optional only for certain versions or only offered in certain countries."

Last edited:
I’ve had a phone call from the Audi Master technician for Bradford Audi this morning, after raising a ticket internally for my car he’s had a response from Milton Keynes centre and they’ve basically confirmed what I suspected.

Because my car is down as having the automated traffic sign recognition “available” (will be able to be enabled through the Functions on demand shop at some point, but not currently enabled) it will not show on the MMI, so the direction given in the manual that these things seem to be totally separated is a little vague IMO, I guess at least that gives me something to go back to York Audi with, I’ll be asking them to cover the cost of traffic based recognition.

I’ll be asking them to cover the cost of traffic based recognition.

It’s worth a try, I guess, but unless you have something in writing in the contract between you and the dealer that shows that you were told that it is in your car’s configuration I don’t think you have any legal grounds for your claim.

(NAL)

It’s worth a try, I guess, but unless you have something in writing in the contract between you and the dealer that shows that you were told that it is in your car’s configuration I don’t think you have any legal grounds for your claim.

(NAL)
It’s on the MMI navigation plus detail description, clearly states speed information for the current road or something like.
I agree they’ll probably try to come back with it being a bit of a grey area, I just think they’re taking the **** with this sort of stuff and they get away with so many little things like this where you buy a car with an understanding based on how it’s been explained to you and a single test drive, maybe a bit of research if you’re thorough (I usually am) if it was anything else other than a car you’d be able to get it replaced etc where as car salesmen get an easy ride and just say sorry not included.

Reactions: Jcbmally and AdamInKent
For anyone who is interested, whilst trying to sort CarPlay/Software Update issues, I asked about Speed Limit recognition and this was the follow-up written reply via email;

“I can confirm that Camera-based traffic sign recognition is only available as a standard option on the Vosprung Trim”.

Jokers.

For anyone who is interested, whilst trying to sort CarPlay/Software Update issues, I asked about Speed Limit recognition and this was the follow-up written reply via email;

“I can confirm that Camera-based traffic sign recognition is only available as a standard option on the Vosprung Trim”.

Jokers.

Hey Scott, if they mean the driver assistance traffic recognition function then they are right. On the other trims it is an optional extra.

However I think what James the (op) has pointed out is slightly different and basically we should be able to on our satnav see the speed limit on a current road based of the map data.

That's what is missing, and I think Audi being Audi just go to their configurator to provide an answer without understanding our questions first.

What was the build week of your car? As I noticed you have an August image on your car

Reactions: Moots
Hey Scott, if they mean the driver assistance traffic recognition function then they are right. On the other trims it is an optional extra.

However I think what James the (op) has pointed out is slightly different and basically we should be able to on our satnav see the speed limit on a current road based of the map data.

That's what is missing, and I think Audi being Audi just go to their configurator to provide an answer without understanding our questions first.

What was the build week of your car? As I noticed you have an August image on your car
Mine was build week 35 (end of August 2020). My MMI software is Oct 19!

The speed limit recognition really should be a standard feature in the MMI navigation, as it has been in other models.

Hi,
On my current golf it appears in the top corner of the screen when the sat nav map is selected. I am a little disappointed that the A3 does not have it considering it is a basic function of the sat nav and other VAG cars have it!