Splitting gear surround.

slepy

Extremely smart and handsome person.
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the chrome trim can be removed?

I think A4 had some small bent plastic tabs but this one looks like needs to be drilled to take the whole thing apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it can (Did mine when I wrapped the sourroundwith Vinyl). Look closley at the edges on the underneath, you will see thin plastic lugs all around that clip into (your) wood veneer sourround. Be careful as they are fairly fragile. It will pop out (let me know if you have trouble, I can take pics of a spare I have somewhere).

G

Reactions: slepy
Yes, it can (Did mine when I wrapped the sourroundwith Vinyl). Look closley at the edges on the underneath, you will see thin plastic lugs all around that clip into (your) wood veneer sourround. Be careful as they are fairly fragile. It will pop out (let me know if you have trouble, I can take pics of a spare I have somewhere).

G

Do I just try to gently pry it upwards all the way round?

Let me dig mine out this morning and photograph it so you can see the clips (Don't try and lift it without disengaging these). I can't see your clips in the photo or I would circle them. Give me a little while....I'll be back.....

Let me dig mine out this morning and photograph it so you can see the clips (Don't try and lift it without disengaging these). I can't see your clips in the photo or I would circle them. Give me a little while....I'll be back.....

Ok cool

Here you go buddy - I know mines DSG, but the sourroundand chrome should be the same.

IMG 3348 IMG 7239 IMG 7673

Thanks bud. Mine is definitely different. No tabs like these

Strange - Must be fixed then and the Tabs for Auto boxes? Sorry, I tried... :innocent:

Strange - Must be fixed then and the Tabs for Auto boxes? Sorry, I tried... :innocent:

I think it is stuck between the top and bottom part of the surround. Thanks for help anyway

If I remember correctly from doing mine, I had to drill the top off the silver plastic spot weld type bit, just enough to be able to push it free, then the trim came off with the wood effect skin, then just pushed out

If I remember correctly from doing mine, I had to drill the top off the silver plastic spot weld type bit, just enough to be able to push it free, then the trim came off with the wood effect skin, then just pushed out

That’s what I think I need to do too. Did you then glue it back together?

I don’t think I did as I left some meat still on the back, I suppose you could just get a glue gun on each of the tabs after

Reactions: slepy