Sports Cat or Full TBE Stage 2+

Frankay

Reaction score
I'm planning on taking my car to stage 2+ soon. My car is booked in for a custom sports Cat and Downpipe next week (HPFP coming shortly). However I'm wondering if I should get a full TBE instead? My reasons for not doing so is because I really dont want to change the exhaust tone too much from standard as I really do like how it sounds.

When it comes to mapping, in all honesty I'm not after pub talk figures I just want to get the additional mid range power that stage 2+ offers.

Opinions please on people who've gone stage 2+ with just a Sports Cat and not a full TBE.

I have done this having an APR downpipe and sports cat on my S3. It is running APR stage 2+ at 365 BHP 379 ft lbs. I still have the standard catback.
The trouble is your mind starts playing tricks and you wonder what if I had a complete system would it feel quicker etc?
I am taking my son's TTS for a BCS downpipe only next week. He likes the standard tone of the cat back.
We don't know anyone with a full system to listen to so it is a tricky one.
Interestingly, APR have recommendations if you want to run a TTE 420 turbo at 400 BHP. They say the standard catback can be kept you just need the downpipe.

Reactions: Frankay
Biggest bang for your buck is the downpipe and cat, BCS obviously, the rear sections help a little and make the noise. The stock downpipe is crap and very restricting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have done this having an APR downpipe and sports cat on my S3. It is running APR stage 2+ at 365 BHP 379 ft lbs. I still have the standard catback.
The trouble is your mind starts playing tricks and you wonder what if I had a complete system would it feel quicker etc?
I am taking my son's TTS for a BCS downpipe only next week. He likes the standard tone of the cat back.
We don't know anyone with a full system to listen to so it is a tricky one.
Interestingly, APR have recommendations if you want to run a TTE 420 turbo at 400 BHP. They say the standard catback can be kept you just need the downpipe.

Thats my exact thinking on it too, would I regret it etc, however, I personally dont agree with anyone who says there will be a noticeable difference especially in day to day driving. Just my opinion of course.

But when your obtaining the sorts of figures you are with changing just the downpipe and cat thats more than enough for me!

Thats my exact thinking on it too, would I regret it etc, however, I personally dont agree with anyone who says there will be a noticeable difference especially in day to day driving. Just my opinion of course.

But when your obtaining the sorts of figures you are with changing just the downpipe and cat thats more than enough for me!

You won't reach those figures with just the downpipe. You need other modifications like an intake and an uprated fuel pump and of course, the software to bring it all together.

You won't reach those figures with just the downpipe. You need other modifications like an intake and an uprated fuel pump and of course, the software to bring it all together.
Yea I've got a Revo CAI already and will be ordering my HPFP sometime in the near future. Looking forward to the difference between stage 1 and stage 2+

You'll be OK with the std cat-back with a sport cat and 3" downpipe. I suspect you won't make 365hp unless the dyno is on the high side, but it doesn't restrict mid-range at all. I was running 380lb/ft with that set up (with a slightly modified std intake). After fitting a resonated Milltek cat-back (after almost 2 years on std cat-back) I didn't really feel any difference except the exhaust note was deeper and slightly louder on full boost.

I am running full BCS WRC system straight through with decat and rear silencer , best way to describe it is Satan , sounds mental on boost , at AKS on wednesday for hybrid turbo instal .I love the roar of the car now , proper mean sports car .