Sports diff on B8.5 S4

BennyG_UK

Top Gear
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I’m on the market for a b8.5 S4 avant.

Is there a definitive way to see from adverts if it has a sports diff?

I have been keeping a lookout for the drive select dash button, but came across one last night that didn’t have the button but showed the drive select screen & sports diff on the mmi! Shame it was the wrong colour though!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that was the deal with all B8.5s but could be wrong. You can do a search on the full spec with the Vin number from memory.

My B8 has both, dealer I bought it from (BMW oddly) had no idea about the dif until I got them to get the full spec printed out! They admitted they would have put it up for a bit more if known before

What’s the best website to use for the vin lookup? I’ve tried a few in the past when buying my b7 but never found one that was decently reliable!

I’ve seen a few b8.5’s with the drive select dash button!

Trouble I have is that most up for sale are 200+ miles away. Whilst I have no problem travelling, I don’t want to travel all that way to find the spec isn’t what I want haha

You can download the myAudi app and enter the vin which should give you the full spec

Reactions: Cerbera9 and BennyG_UK
Good luck on your search, I'm going to trade up soon as want something newer (and the wife has asked for something a bit smaller) - Def going to miss her when I do bite the bullet

Reactions: Rab.
Good luck on your search, I'm going to trade up soon as want something newer (and the wife has asked for something a bit smaller) - Def going to miss her when I do bite the bullet

Thanks pal. I have two kids and a dog, so an avant is a must. Stretching my budget as far as I can before the new stupid speed limiter rules come into place.

I’d love a b9 but way out of my range at the moment

Yup has to be Avant in my opinion, we don't use the buggy much anymore for jnr so0 I'm happy to go a size smaller... Maybe a 140i, I don't do many miles either

One of the reasons I bought a brand new S5 in 2015 is that I had no luck in finding a used one which met my requirements, one of which was sports diff. Although it is probably more common on an S4, I think it is still rare, so good luck.

One thing I did find is that I could not rely on either advertisements or phone calls to salespeople to be sure if a car had sports diff or not, because there was so much confusion as to if it was standard or an option. I did go and see one car which the ad and salesperson stated that it had sports diff, but in fact it did not. I was more fortunate when I discovered that the S5 sportback has a visible "bulge" in the interior of the boot if the sports diff is fitted. This is not present for the S4. So unless you can find out from the manufacturing data if there was a factory fit sports diff, I suggest that a photo of the rear axle is the best bet. If they want to sell the car then they ought to agree to take a photo for you. Here's a couple from my car, showing the electrical part (and yes, it is rather vulnerable to being hit by road debris - well done Audi!)

SportsDiff1
SportsDiff2

Reactions: Bristle Hound, jdp1962, BennyG_UK and 2 others
@Dippy

... have you been under your car with soapy water and a tooth brush again!!!

Reactions: CarbonMike, Cerbera9, jdp1962 and 1 other person
One of the reasons I bought a brand new S5 in 2015 is that I had no luck in finding a used one which met my requirements, one of which was sports diff. Although it is probably more common on an S4, I think it is still rare, so good luck.

One thing I did find is that I could not rely on either advertisements or phone calls to salespeople to be sure if a car had sports diff or not, because there was so much confusion as to if it was standard or an option. I did go and see one car which the ad and salesperson stated that it had sports diff, but in fact it did not. I was more fortunate when I discovered that the S5 sportback has a visible "bulge" in the interior of the boot if the sports diff is fitted. This is not present for the S4. So unless you can find out from the manufacturing data if there was a factory fit sports diff, I suggest that a photo of the rear axle is the best bet. If they want to sell the car then they ought to agree to take a photo for you. Here's a couple from my car, showing the electrical part (and yes, it is rather vulnerable to being hit by road debris - well done Audi!)

View attachment 179758 View attachment 179759

Ah i didn’t realise it could be a standard fit too. Would that show up in the Audi app? I’ve just got the vin from a garage but one that has every option I’d like (pan roof, mmi+, super sports seats, and even the right colour) doesn’t list sports diff or drive select. And indeed there is no dash buttons either.

Reactions: NevMan
@Dippy

... have you been under your car with soapy water and a tooth brush again!!!

Why what do you use? I took those photos yesterday. It looks a bit cleaner in the photos I took 4 years ago when I did my PDI. Any tips to get mine as clean as yours will be welcome. :)

Ah i didn’t realise it could be a standard fit too. Would that show up in the Audi app? I’ve just got the vin from a garage but one that has every option I’d like (pan roof, mmi+, super sports seats, and even the right colour) doesn’t list sports diff or drive select. And indeed there is no dash buttons either.

I think I misled you. Sports diff was an option. The point I was making is that dealers would see the word "sports" applied to lots of features in the car (sports suspension, sports seats etc.) and so some of them felt it was OK to put "sports differential" in an advertisement without realising that this was technically incorrect for a car without the option.

Ive checked over a few via the myaudi app but even ones with drive select button on the dash don't seem to mention anything in optional extras part of the app. Guess Im going to ask them all to take pictures of the underneath lol

found a great link btw if a dealer is hesitant to send you a vin number https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/emissions/check-your-car.html

Ive checked over a few via the myaudi app but even ones with drive select button on the dash don't seem to mention anything in optional extras part of the app. Guess Im going to ask them all to take pictures of the underneath lol

found a great link btw if a dealer is hesitant to send you a vin number https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/emissions/check-your-car.html

Nice work I used that site to confirm a previous car was affected by the NoX issue

When i was searching through the used Audi website, they show you optional equipment for each vehicle when you select the add.
Another way of telling if a car has the sports diff fitted is via the MMI.

DSC00216.JPG

Haha!

Ive found a used approve one sat in an Audi forecourt but its 5k out of my budget ***. Has every option I want aswell urgh.

Anyone had any luck with bartering Audi down on price, especially that much?

the one i eventually bought had been on the forecourt for a couple of months and in that time reduced by 2k (well overpriced originally). I managed to haggle another £500 plus full tank of fuel. they will budge a little but wouldn't expect anywhere near 5k

Haha!

Ive found a used approve one sat in an Audi forecourt but its 5k out of my budget ***. Has every option I want aswell urgh.

Anyone had any luck with bartering Audi down on price, especially that much?
Not a chance!

When I contacted the dealer, I always told them straight up how much my limit was and would see how close they could get. No harm in taking the same approach for the car you've seen

Gutted, rang up and it’s gone already. The hunt continues..

Something will come up mate, or ditch this search and get urself a 4.2 V8 S6 for similar money

Bit of a weird choice from an s4 lol.

A few c7 S6’s popped up but higher mileage so not a fan.

Bit of a weird choice from an s4 lol.

A few c7 S6’s popped up but higher mileage so not a fan.

Not really, just a bit bigger but a proper engine

Nah not my cup of tea. Could just drop one into my b7 if I really wanted to

I imagine you spend a lot of time at the petrol station! :D

But the noise Says he who drives around in a 2.0 anyway...one day before they disappear maybe. Drove a mates 4.2 V8 awhile back

Reactions: scotty76
You don’t need photos of the underside just ask for a photo of the options code sticker from inside the service book. Then use an online decoder.

You don’t need photos of the underside just ask for a photo of the options code sticker from inside the service book. Then use an online decoder.
If you look at the link I posted above that didn't work for me and my car definitely has sports diff. :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound and NevMan
I’ve found a few now with drive select button, or just on the MMI, but not listed on the Audi app. Going to go through my list of potentials again next week and ask for photos underneath the rear.

I can echo @scotty76 's experience - the codes on those stickers are not a comprehensive list of all options.

Mines has sports diff 2011 B8 avant which when I was looking was very rare to find has the drive select on the dash and also the Audi drive select in the mmi the seller I got it from didn’t know what it was but seen it on the pictures he had on the advert

Yea, I’m going through and getting pics of the rear diff but so far nothing has come up :(

Weirdly I’m finding Audi used approved cars are better value in terms of mileage and costs vs trader and eBay lol.

There’s a used approve one at moment with sports diff but no sunroof

Going to look at a black one tomorrow, but a bit confused by the optional extras.

It has a panoramic roof, but doesn’t list this in the Audi app.

Also lists startup version U. Anybody know what this is?

It has drive select but no sports diff. Sales guy says he looked under the rear but confirmed no sports diff. Not listed as an option either.

Has anyone ever done a sports diff retrofit? It’s looking like I may have to settle for one without at the moment.

Cheers guys!

I think startup version u has to do with the start/stop functionality

Thanks mate.

Didn’t end up going to see it. Garage out pictures up this morning and despite listing it as panoramic roof, it wasn’t. It was just the normal old style sunroof.

The hunt continues

One will come up mate, patience and all that (easier said than done)