Spray on Avant rear window ?

scottyjohn

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wanted to check if all avant owners have the same experience and if there is any way to curb the problem. My avant rear window gets hellishly dirty with even the slightest moisture on the road! I was wondering is this normal, and whether an S-line style rear eyebrow spoiler would help or even rear mudflaps?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Yup, suffer the same problem myself, I think its par for the course with estate cars.

Its an aerodynamic trait of pretty much any car without a boot behind the window, ie estates and hatchbacks. Its caused by the turbulence as the air passing over the roof meets a void underneath suddenly where the pressure is lower. The air is then sucked in from all angles bringing with it all the rain & road muck with it and it gets splattered on the rear of the car. Only thing you can do is drive really slow to reduce the pressure drop behind the car sucking in the rain & muck!! By the way, this is pretty much the reason they dont fit rear wipers to saloon cars as they generally dont suffer from this problem.

God i bore myself sometimes with the crap I know!!

There's only one way I've found to fix it on a hatchback or an estate - fit an additional spoiler below the rear window.

Did this (many years ago) on a Metro, and hardly needed to use the rear wiper afterwards.

We have mudguards on our B6 and it still kicks up the dirt. I've always had either hatchbacks or estates though so I'm used to it.

Don't you invalidate the warranty on a german car by looking behind you? :)

SimonP said:
Don't you invalidate the warranty on a german car by looking behind you? :)
Only if it's got three letters and a round badge with blue and white segments!!!

And they also come without indicators...

PetrolDave said:
Only if it's got three letters and a round badge with blue and white segments!!!

And they also come without indicators...

No, they definitely come with mirrors, as when you approach them they are dawdling along following the line of traffic until you make the first move to overtake, at which point they pull out and go all psychotic - all without signalling of course :)