Spray waxes/drying aid

AlS3BE

Reaction score
This has been an interesting observation I’ve made recently. I live near building sites and the dust in the air around me is relatively bad.
I’ve been mainly using turtle wax dry and shine, once a month or so, and noticed after a wash and dry the car gets a fine layer of dust sitting on mainly the upward facing panels after like half an hour or so.
The other week I ran out of the dry and shine so only got the front of the car sprayed and rinsed, bonnet, wings and front bumper. I then got the megs hybrid ceramic wax and did the rest of the car.
The front of the car as always had that nice fine layer of dust but the rest was relatively dust free.
After about a week or so with rain and sleet and whatever came down from the skies, normal Scottish weather, the parts that had the megs was considerably cleaner than the parts coated with turtle wax.
This kinda says to me that the turtle wax is somehow a bit more statically charged and attracts a bit more dust and dirt.
Anyone else made similar observations with other type of spray waxes/drying aids?
Trying to figure out what products out there will repel dirt and dust better especially where I live. Half the time I’m washing the car cause the dust layer not because it’s filthy.

Reactions: Jimbob76 and MistaT
This has been an interesting observation I’ve made recently. I live near building sites and the dust in the air around me is relatively bad.
I’ve been mainly using turtle wax dry and shine, once a month or so, and noticed after a wash and dry the car gets a fine layer of dust sitting on mainly the upward facing panels after like half an hour or so.
The other week I ran out of the dry and shine so only got the front of the car sprayed and rinsed, bonnet, wings and front bumper. I then got the megs hybrid ceramic wax and did the rest of the car.
The front of the car as always had that nice fine layer of dust but the rest was relatively dust free.
After about a week or so with rain and sleet and whatever came down from the skies, normal Scottish weather, the parts that had the megs was considerably cleaner than the parts coated with turtle wax.
This kinda says to me that the turtle wax is somehow a bit more statically charged and attracts a bit more dust and dirt.
Anyone else made similar observations with other type of spray waxes/drying aids?
Trying to figure out what products out there will repel dirt and dust better especially where I live. Half the time I’m washing the car cause the dust layer not because it’s filthy.
Some quick detailer and especially silicon based hydrophobic spray on Solutions wet coat,megs ceramic wax etc etc are dust magnets best/slickest quicker detailer l have ever used is Bouncers done n dusted good way of testing paint sickness after application is slowly rub yer back of yer hand over the panels or if yer really anal about it put a cloth on the bonnet and lift the bonnet lid up and see how quickly the cloth slips off it the more slicker a product less of dust magnet

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbob76, Raiden, NevMan and 1 other person
Need to give that bouncers a shot next when I run out of the current stuff.
Just like the easiness/laziness of the spray and rinse stuff. The carpro h2o was great stuff I’ve used before but it’s quite expensive and fiddly compared to the likes of dry and shine and megs.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Use infinity wax turbo6 and top with infinity wax graphene qd or garage therapy sigma.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Was going to add, spray and rinse formulas barring a few are water based silicones so whilst hydrophoc, don't repel dust or dirt they attract

Sent from my ELS-N39 using Tapatalk

Was going to add, spray and rinse formulas barring a few are water based silicones so whilst hydrophoc, don't repel dust or dirt they attract

Sent from my ELS-N39 using Tapatalk
I've tried a few spray on/jet off products, Gyeon Q² Wetcoat, Carpro Hydro2 Lite and the Auto finesse aqua coat. All do a decent job, but I've found that the Gyeon lasts longer and has a better shine. I only tend to use these products over the winter months, during the summer I go over it with normal quick detailers.

I finished the last of my Hydro two weeks ago, been using the car in that time and it has kept most of the muck off. At times there has been dust on my bonnet/boot/roof, but once it's rained and I've driven around the beading running off the car has removed it!

Just taken these (Hydro):
IMG 0794
IMG 0795
IMG 0797
IMG 0798

Reactions: AlS3BE and Jassyo06
Interesting topic @AlS3BE (if your brain works the same way as ours do, lol). I've pondered this one before and wondered whether it's the method of application, rather than the product itself that creates a static charge on the bodywork that attracts dust.

I'm a big fan of Turtle Wax Dry and Shine - it's cracking value for money and I've not really experienced any dust magnet issues with it. I apply it 2 or 3 sprays per door sized panel (less is more), then spread using a damp, wrung-out microfibre applicator pad, then rinse off, working one panel at a time, and keeping the whole car wet as I work round the car. Then, I just lightly dry off using a drying towel, and pick up any last drips 15 minutes later. So with this method, there's no real buffing involved.

I've had less dust magnet issues doing this than I've had using Done and Dusted Quick Detailer, where you buff to get your final shine. My theory? It's the buffing that creates a small static charge that attracts dust rather than the product. I guess a good analogy would be rubbing a balloon on your woolly jumper, and then using the static created to make your hair stand on end.

Of course I could be talking complete bobbins!

Reactions: AlS3BE
Interesting topic @AlS3BE (if your brain works the same way as ours do, lol). I've pondered this one before and wondered whether it's the method of application, rather than the product itself that creates a static charge on the bodywork that attracts dust.

I'm a big fan of Turtle Wax Dry and Shine - it's cracking value for money and I've not really experienced any dust magnet issues with it. I apply it 2 or 3 sprays per door sized panel (less is more), then spread using a damp, wrung-out microfibre applicator pad, then rinse off, working one panel at a time, and keeping the whole car wet as I work round the car. Then, I just lightly dry off using a drying towel, and pick up any last drips 15 minutes later. So with this method, there's no real buffing involved.

I've had less dust magnet issues doing this than I've had using Done and Dusted Quick Detailer, where you buff to get your final shine. My theory? It's the buffing that creates a small static charge that attracts dust rather than the product. I guess a good analogy would be rubbing a balloon on your woolly jumper, and then using the static created to make your hair stand on end.

Of course I could be talking complete bobbins!

been using the megs spray and rinse stuff recently and it does appear to be better at repelling dirt than the turtle wax one.
will give your method a try with the dry and shine and see if it makes a difference. I normally spray and blast the product around the body with pressure washer. Maybe rubbing it in with a damp cloth might help.
still got loads of both so will use them up before trying others.

Reactions: Jimbob76