SQ5 SQ5 Panaramic roof issues

Right. I’m on the case now. I have suffered this creek for too long so during this week away in Scotland in the Audi I do hope I can find its source. I normally travel around in one of my three jags which I fully maintain myself so it shouldn’t be too difficult to find a creek in an Audi sunroof, should it? Despite adding cooking oil to the “witness mark” and closing the roof with newspaper all around the join, IT STILL CREAKS!

I have removed the rear grab handles as I thought that it could be the roof panel creaking behind them, but it still creaks without them even with a wedge between the roof panel and the roof metalwork.

Now what can I do?

It creaks with the roof tilted, but not when it is fully open. Operating cables? Mechanism?

By chance, there was a very shiny Q5 with a panoramic sunroof and painted callipers outside the pub where I went to for dinner. Obviously owned by an enthusiast who luckily came out of the pub and happy to chat. His roof creaks too despite Audi main dealer trying to stop it.

Audi MUST be aware of this problem and have a bulletin about the fix somewhere.

Attachment.png

ilI have recorded a sound file I’ll try and upload.

Audi Technical Bulletin for the panoroof sent...

Reactions: Neville Hobbs
Thank you so much John.

I have had a good read.

I brought with me a small tool kit including a set of trim removal levers with which I managed to remove four clips each side holding the black sunroof trim in place which I had previously thought was the problem.

I then noticed tiny holes in the rubber internal flap which covers the eight Torx (2 at front and 2 at rear both sides) bolts holding the front sunroof in place.
When I attempted to tighten the rear bolts, IT CREAKED!
I have left them slack for now with fingers crossed.

The service sheets give good blanket coverage but still have not identified the real cause which I hope to pinpoint.

Its one thing curing the creak, but I need to know which part creaked!

Reactions: 45bvtc
After reading the bullitins I have been fiddling about and discovered that if I lever the glass sideways, (see photo) the creak is produced which is a major breakthrough. I have wedged some folded paper in the crack where the lever is hoping the ceak will have stopped, but not having all my tools and lubricants in my suitcase, I’ll remove the front glass and lubricate the suspected area when I get home next week. Tge glass will have to come out so I can refit the 8 trim clips I removed!
If my hunch is correct, its the rear glass lifting and opening arms that are creaking as the car flexes.
All will be revealed after a run tomorrow.

Attachments

• AC2C1F07-AA45-4604-9AD1-3ACA7E401C35.jpeg
    AC2C1F07-AA45-4604-9AD1-3ACA7E401C35.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 122
I spotted a white plastic washer used in the rear lifting arm mechanism. They are good candidates for creaks and groans.

After purchasing a tin of 3 in 1 aerosol oil this morning and some small art type paint brushes, I spent a good hour and a half lubricating everything I could and thoroughly cleaned the rubbers with a scourer type foam pad.
After a short test drive it still creaks, and now Her of the Indoors has started creaking!! This is supposed to be a holiday.
I think I’ll wait until I am back home before removing the glass as I am 450 miles from home!!! Then Ill carry out the instructions using the correct lubricants.
Off for a dog walk followed by a beer or two.

• Haha
Today I removed the springs that raise the wind deflector, and using the pry tool at the side of the front glass, the creak was not noticeable. Could it be the pressure joint holding the deflector down that creaks? Tomorrows run will be interesting!

Its stopped!!
Covered 40 miles this morning with NO CREAK. It must be the joint where the front of the sliding section forces and holds the wind deflector down.
I’ll stick some felt to this area when I return home after a 435 mile creakfree journey. HOORAH!

• Love
Its stopped!!
Covered 40 miles this morning with NO CREAK. It must be the joint where the front of the sliding section forces and holds the wind deflector down.
I’ll stick some felt to this area when I return home after a 435 mile creakfree journey. HOORAH!

BRILLIANT! Well done Neville
Big Round Of Applause Smiley
And on your holiday, too... :thumbs up:

435 mikes home with no creak as the wind deflector springs were in the door pockets
I stuck some felt onto the roof panel pads with some strong double sided tape and refitted the springs but the roof operation forced the felt to come off, so, I removed what was left of the felt and cleaned the rubber pads with petrol and smeared some red rubber grease onto the pads.
I took the Audi for a spin this morning, left it in the sun whilst playing badminton for a couple of hours and drove home.
NO CREAK!!!!
I do believe that I have cured the creak for good, or at the very least, I know which parts creak so I can add some more lube if need be.
Thus is the rubber pad at the front of the sliding section that caused the damn creak and this is where to add the rubber grease.

04587985 8E4B 48ED B0AE D39AC29BDA60

I just hope this helps other Audi owners with creaking pan or sun roofs.
Its amazing how the creak sound appeared to come from the back of the glass panel!!

Reactions: SteveMcB, NevMan and 45bvtc
435 mikes home with no creak as the wind deflector springs were in the door pockets
I stuck some felt onto the roof panel pads with some strong double sided tape and refitted the springs but the roof operation forced the felt to come off, so, I removed what was left of the felt and cleaned the rubber pads with petrol and smeared some red rubber grease onto the pads.
I took the Audi for a spin this morning, left it in the sun whilst playing badminton for a couple of hours and drove home.
NO CREAK!!!!
I do believe that I have cured the creak for good, or at the very least, I know which parts creak so I can add some more lube if need be.
Thus is the rubber pad at the front of the sliding section that caused the damn creak and this is where to add the rubber grease.

View attachment 240788
I just hope this helps other Audi owners with creaking pan or sun roofs.
Its amazing how the creak sound appeared to come from the back of the glass panel!!
Did this solve it for good?

Mine has started, I've followed Neville's guide so fingers crossed.

I still do not have an issue and that after getting an open panoroof full of sea sand care of a windy Barmouth beach. Cleaned and lubricated the following day, no worries.

So they’ve fixed it, a new tsb has come out, removing glass and greasing the **** out of everything apparently. Pick up tomorrow morning, so will see if they can send me the details.
apparently also another tsb out that says they may freak when very hot weather…