SQ5 SQ5 TDI Exhaust Problem

M

MarkSQ

Hi,

I have a 2013 SQ5 TDI and the soundaktor (speakers/actuators in the exhaust) doesn't appear to be working. I have scanned with VCDS and get an 'open circuit' fault code for the actuator.

I have tested each side's actuator and their electrical resistances are around 30K Ohms which rise with time when connected to the multimeter - this happens on both sides. I have checked all electrical connections to the actuators and the control unit in the boot. I have also done the output test with VCDS and the test noise can be heard very faintly, literally with your ear to the tailpipes and it's still nearly silent, but definitely making the test noise.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? It seems strange that two actuators may have blown. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Mark, did you ever resolve the problem? I have same or similar issue.

you will find the speakers in the rear mufflers are shot they are only 2 ohms i replaced the speakers and all is good again, you have to cut the top off the speaker part to replace. 20200329 131037 123

Attachments

• 20200401_100441.jpg
    20200401_100441.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,916
Reactions: paul wev
Interesting? How much did the replacement speakers cost? Did you have to get them anywhere special? and is there any difference in the sound that you’ll notice with the 4 ohm speakers that it looks like you’ve replaced them with? If you don’t mind me asking? Thanks Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in Australia and had trouble finding 2 ohm speakers so I used 4 ohm they are 6&1/2 inch.the 4 ohm are a bit quieter, 2 ohm are freely available in the UK & US more to come

I live in Australia and had trouble finding 2 ohm speakers so I used 4 ohm they are 6&1/2 inch.the 4 ohm are a bit quieter, 2 ohm are freely available in the UK & US more to come
The system is easy to remove one exhaust sensor two clamps just behind the dpf and 4 rubber hangers then the lot drops down. I used a 1mm thin cthing blade on a 4" angle grinder to reassemble I used a bead

The system is easy to remove one exhaust sensor two clamps just behind the dpf and 4 rubber hangers then the lot drops down. I used a 1mm thin cthing blade on a 4" angle grinder to reassemble I used a bead
Of silastic silicon let it set for 24 hrs will never leak or fall off.

Reactions: blackwood and paul wev
Hi all,
Just had this issue on my SQ5.
Was intermittent but now completely quiet.

If possible I’m looking a bit more info before cutting my exhaust open lol.

1. Could anyone link me to an example speaker that I would need to purchase to replace the shot standard ones (Amazon, eBay or website)?
2.are speakers standard fit so should be a plug and play job to replace the speakers themselves?
3. Is regular silicone ok to glue the cut metal back onto the main body of the exhaust given the exhaust temperatures?

many thanks in advance all.

Mine were both replaced as part of the checks before I bought it I believe, so sounds like it could be a common issue. Guess it depends how often it’s been used in dynamic mode and driven hard…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How the world changes. In times gone by, when you needed a new exhaust you went to KwikFit. Now, I guess it’s Richer Sounds! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Kam05