Squeaking brakes!

Naylor92

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why I have squeaking brakes at low speeds please? I have only had the car a couple of months and when I purchased it, it had brand new front discs and pads (Reyland discs and unsure of which pads).

Cheers,
Sam.

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why I have squeaking brakes at low speeds please? I have only had the car a couple of months and when I purchased it, it had brand new front discs and pads (Reyland discs and unsure of which pads).

Cheers,
Sam.

Depends on the pads and how they were bedded in.

I’ve been running the Reyland / DS2500 combo for over a year now and they are silent.

But I did literally give them hell on the bedding in procedure as I found the official Ferodo way wasn’t enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the pads and how they were bedded in.

I’ve been running the Reyland / DS2500 combo for over a year now and they are silent.

But I did literally give them hell on the bedding in procedure as I found the official Ferodo way wasn’t enough.

Well I bedded them in as I was told. Seems to be only now and again but it’s seriously annoying me now! Maybe I’ve not done it sufficiently!? But what can be done to rectify this?

The squeaking brakes are normal. I had them squeaking until I had the pads changed after a year and half from new.

Audi said it was a characteristic of the car - so it seems the solution is try some pads that are not the OEM Audi ones and maybe they won’t squeak. But it’s really just down to luck.

Is that acceptable considering the cost of the car? No. But it’s how it is.

Reactions: Bryant1998
Well I bedded them in as I was told. Seems to be only now and again but it’s seriously annoying me now! Maybe I’ve not done it sufficiently!? But what can be done to rectify this?

I found the Ferodo procedure didn’t work fully as when they’d cooled down later the same day I had terrible squeal.

So I went up and down a stretch of motorway local to me that’s always quiet, and gave them hell basically, 4 lots of up/down runs with as much 70 down to 30 braking as I could safely manage, then one final up/ down run to cool them and keeping off the brakes as much as I could.

The next day they were perfect and have pretty much been so since.

You’ve got to be careful that you don’t use them too lightly in day to day use, it’s good practice to work the buggers, especially DS2500’s as they get better with heat in them.

Ferodo really are the only pad I’d use.
Had the DS performance on my 8P / 8V PFL with superb performance and no noise.
Some people don’t like the 2500’s but I think they work exceptionally well with Reyland discs.

Reactions: Naylor92
Just after buying my pfl (it was 3 years old at the time) I had to do something about the squealing as it was horrific.

Pads were getting low so as a stop gap I bought some OEM pads, nothing special think they were Apec pads, as well as some of those rubbery anti squeal brake shims.

Didn’t plan on keeping the pads on for long as wanted to put some ‘proper’ stuff on but surprisingly they’ve been great and zero noise from them since changing.

That was 12 months ago now, and about 9k miles, still on a set of wavy discs as well which are getting near their end of life soon.

Plan was to stick some new Reyland discs and brembo xtra or hp2000 pads on soon after buying but the current setup has been working surprisingly well!

Will be changing to the above soon though :)

@T-1000 out of interest on your Reylands what groove type did you go for?

I’d read J hook offer best performance at the expense of noise and pad wear which make that the least favourable option so would either be going straight or curved, whichever is least noisy!

Reactions: Naylor92
Just after buying my pfl (it was 3 years old at the time) I had to do something about the squealing as it was horrific.

Pads were getting low so as a stop gap I bought some OEM pads, nothing special think they were Apec pads, as well as some of those rubbery anti squeal brake shims.

Didn’t plan on keeping the pads on for long as wanted to put some ‘proper’ stuff on but surprisingly they’ve been great and zero noise from them since changing.

That was 12 months ago now, and about 9k miles, still on a set of wavy discs as well which are getting near their end of life soon.

Plan was to stick some new Reyland discs and brembo xtra or hp2000 pads on soon after buying but the current setup has been working surprisingly well!

I’d read J hook offer best performance at the expense of noise and pad wear which make that the least favourable option so would either be going straight or curved, whichever is least noisy!

Curved. No noise from them.

6a55a08e42325a519a5ab2842d10269c.jpg

I found the Ferodo procedure didn’t work fully as when they’d cooled down later the same day I had terrible squeal.

So I went up and down a stretch of motorway local to me that’s always quiet, and gave them hell basically, 4 lots of up/down runs with as much 70 down to 30 braking as I could safely manage, then one final up/ down run to cool them and keeping off the brakes as much as I could.

The next day they were perfect and have pretty much been so since.

You’ve got to be careful that you don’t use them too lightly in day to day use, it’s good practice to work the buggers, especially DS2500’s as they get better with heat in them.

Ferodo really are the only pad I’d use.
Had the DS performance on my 8P / 8V PFL with superb performance and no noise.
Some people don’t like the 2500’s but I think they work exceptionally well with Reyland discs.

Cheers for the advice! I don’t have a clue what pads are in but they’re brand new along with the j hook reyland discs.

I have the J hooks.

Hi all,

Cheers,
Sam.
I had the same problem with my old RS3, it used to drive me insane! When it eventually needed new front discs and pads I fitted genuine discs (the old wavy type ones) but opted for EBC pads and that solved the problem