squeaking

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
I have a squeaking noise comming from my trailing arm bushes i think, is replacing these a straight forward job? ta..

Going by most people's definition of straightforward..probably not. Corrosion of will be you biggest potential problem to overcome. Having a workshop at your disposal is recommended.

Anyone know of a 'how to' on this. I have use of a Audi main dealer ramp/tools so should be ok for big hammers etc lol...

I had noise issues with the trailing arm bushes on my S3 which took a little while to isolate. I replaced them with OEM parts at first, but these very soon proved to be short lived and the problem returned all too quickly. I then replaced these with Powerflex bushes and finally the problem has been completely rectified. Good news is that the Powerflex bushes are super easy to fit as they do not require to be pressed in. That said, however, the OEM bushes need to be pressed out first which will entail typically Garage equipment. I prefer to remove the trailing arms on Quattro models to fit new bushes and this is can be a little involved for the DIY mechanic. Lastly, ideally the car will require wheel alignment, post works. So it might be a garage job, unless you feel confident to proceed.

I had noise issues with the trailing arm bushes on my S3 which took a little while to isolate. I replaced them with OEM parts at first, but these very soon proved to be short lived and the problem returned all too quickly. I then replaced these with Powerflex bushes and finally the problem has been completely rectified. Good news is that the Powerflex bushes are super easy to fit as they do not require to be pressed in. That said, however, the OEM bushes need to be pressed out first which will entail typically Garage equipment. I prefer to remove the trailing arms on Quattro models to fit new bushes and this is can be a little involved for the DIY mechanic. Lastly, ideally the car will require wheel alignment, post works. So it might be a garage job, unless you feel confident to proceed.

thanks for the info, i was thinking about powerflex as I've used them before. Im pretty sure the squeak is coming from there as o had my kids jumping up and down in the boot whilst lying under the car. its hard to locate 100% though.

Totally agree with the difficulty in pinning these little B's down. Even with our chassis ear kit it was hard to isolate on mine. Deffinately recommend the Powerflex option. Ride quality is great, no harshness at all post fitting the Powerflex bushes. Fit with confidence

Reactions: Starry
Just had a quick look at what's involved and it looks straight forward enough, or am I missing something? 4 bolts on the recessed cup that holds the front. And a couple at the rear onto the hub assembly. I'll need to cut/drill the old rubber out and the powerflex one will just slide in without the need for pressing. Is this correct?? Thanks..