Squeaky brakes - any fix?

RS3CA

Reaction score
Hi

Just to add to my other post about noisy exhaust...the brakes squeal like hell!

I thought this was just a new car thing but it's not going away. In fact I think it's getting worse. Squeaky brakes on a new car is nuts.

I see from a Youtube clip that the tester also noticed this issue - is there a fix for this? How many of you are experiencing this?

Only happens on light braking by the way. Thanks in advance.

I had it for the first ~500 miles, but it's all but stopped now. If I have the window open I very occasionally can hear the slightest squeak but nothing to write home about.

Your on the right Forum so PLEASE go check the 8P brake squeal forum issue as you've the same problem as we had

For road use only: with one exception every 8P RS3 owner that has done the change is absolutely delighted with ditching the OEM pads and fitting EBC Redstuff pads and I strongly recommend you do the same.

OK, I here you already that my car has Audi Warranty, and your right, so you decide

Slow speed brake squeal does not affect All RS3 cars only some; and so if yours does low-speed-brake-squeal you've the choice of your current OEM fitment or alternative

I went alternative, oh yes..., and with Warranty still running as I was not prepared to suffer the noise and/or the sh*t response from Audi UK

I'm still LAUGHING that the issue has been carried over from the 8P RS3 to the 8V RS3 and Audi UK and or Audi GMBH remain ignorant to the issue and an issue that's oh so easy to resolve but there you are...

No problems here............... the brakes are superb and quiet as said above bedding in procedure is key.......

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Your on the right Forum so PLEASE go check the 8P brake squeal forum issue as you've the same problem as we had

For road use only: with one exception every 8P RS3 owner that has done the change is absolutely delighted with ditching the OEM pads and fitting EBC Redstuff pads and I strongly recommend you do the same.

OK, I here you already that my car has Audi Warranty, and your right, so you decide

Slow speed brake squeal does not affect All RS3 cars only some; and so if yours does low-speed-brake-squeal you've the choice of your current OEM fitment or alternative

I went alternative, oh yes..., and with Warranty still running as I was not prepared to suffer the noise and/or the sh*t response from Audi UK

I'm still LAUGHING that the issue has been carried over from the 8P RS3 to the 8V RS3 and Audi UK and or Audi GMBH remain ignorant to the issue and an issue that's oh so easy to resolve but there you are...

Hi

Thanks for this. I'm well used to the 'they're all like that sir' or 'we can't reproduce the issue sir' responses from dealers, so' i'll just fit some new pads, de-glaze the disks (which it shouldn't need obviously, but while it's apart...) and have done with it.

Will let you know how it goes!

Edit: These pads aren't available for the new RS3 according to online sites.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc
Yep agree with Daytona exact same pads.
Be careful though swapping pads may upset any warranty regarding associated parts.

Good advice. I'll keep the original pads and put them back in when the disks warp. :busted cop:

Ok. Spoken with EBC supplier, not sure if they are EBC themselves or not, but they say the pads you have recommended (B8 RS4) won't fit.

They say Yellow Stuff pads, part DP42070R. Punch in Audi RS3 on their website and it won't let you select 2015 year, only 2011/2012! So according to that these won't fit either! Hmmmm.....

Reactions: T-800
Same was true for the 8P pads EBC only list Yellowstuff and they were awful for me and my RS3 so sold 'em on; I'd already investigated the 8P caliper and it's applications elsewhere (Evo, Impreza, DB9, Alfa Romeo, etc.) so purchased and Evo set and they fitted perfectly, all I had to do was modify the brake warning cable - all as shown on the 8P forum

Me as a number of other 8P owners have been running Redstuff for several years now and I for one cannot fault 'em for road use (don't know anything about track-use 'cos I don't do that no more...) and would strongly recommend 'em and that's me with a background in automotive engineering

I would not ever again run OEM pads on my 8P Audi RS3

That said, I'm running OEM pads on our Audi TT and they are just perfect, the TT didn't like Redstuff

Our A2 is on Greenstuff (a 4-disc set up on such a light car) and those are road use perfect, too

So go do the research RS3CA as I'm sure Audi will not be using a bespoke front brake caliper on the 8V RS3

Ok. Spoken with EBC supplier, not sure if they are EBC themselves or not, but they say the pads you have recommended (B8 RS4) won't fit.

They say Yellow Stuff pads, part DP42070R. Punch in Audi RS3 on their website and it won't let you select 2015 year, only 2011/2012! So according to that these won't fit either! Hmmmm.....

They don't know their **** from their elbow............

I bought some brand new 8 pot Calipers for my 8P RS3

The calipers were exactly the same as on RS4/RS5/RSQ3/RS3 8V

I also bought some Redstuff pads from EBC which i was going to fit........

However the car was sold so never fitted them.......

Trust me, they fit the 8V Caliper as its the same design

A80692CB-AE02-4C44-8913-07B080DEFC81.jpg

361566ED-2155-4486-90C4-567186678195.jpg

Reactions: RGBARGEE and DAYTONA 500
Good advice. I'll keep the original pads and put them back in when the disks warp. :busted cop:

If you want to retain your original pads, RS3CA, then I respectfully suggest you consider Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shims: I've applied these for many years to a variety of cars always with 100% success and satisfaction.

Plus, when I fitted them to my own 8P RS3 pre 47i6 upgrade I did so with Audi approval and assured the application would not affect my Audi warranty.

Available on eBay and an oh-so-easy application - if you are able...

Mintex_zpsx8w5a7tj.jpg

NEVER say never as there's always an alternative...

Hi

Just to add to my other post about noisy exhaust...the brakes squeal like hell!

I thought this was just a new car thing but it's not going away. In fact I think it's getting worse. Squeaky brakes on a new car is nuts.

I see from a Youtube clip that the tester also noticed this issue - is there a fix for this? How many of you are experiencing this?

Only happens on light braking by the way. Thanks in advance.

have you done some hard braking?

I recommend you that.

that will help a lot.

regards

Hmmm... If the cause of brake squeal came from the interface of brake pad to brake disc why is it that the producers of ant-squeal remedies be it a compound or shim place either between the brake pad(s) and the brake piston(s)

As shown here (8P RS3) the brake piston has worn through the meagre Brembo/Pagid anti-squeal shim and low-speed brake squeal is the result

6 RS3723

Apply a coat of Copperslip or CeraTec and an immediate if temporary cure results; fit a stainless steel shim as marketed by Brembo and you'll have a permanent resolution

So...the dealer stripped and cleaned the pads etc. Within a couple of miles it was squeaky brake time.

I really don't mind about the cost of new 'Redstuff' pads....if you guys recommend them that's what i'll get, but could someone who has bought and fitted them to 'their own 8V' please give me a part number?? I don't want to buy the wrong ones and the people selling them really don't know!

Thanks in advance. I'll fit them and report back. :)

A couple of owners on the RS3OC forum have upgraded 4-pot 8P RS3 front brake calipers to 8-pot 8V RS3 calipers so should know the part number so best ask there.

Alternatively, PM to suly123 here on ASN as he's recently done the 8-pot conversion to his 8P RS3; to be sure EBC Redstuff pads are available and in my 8P experience have proved low speed brake squeal free

You can see the RS4 RedStuff pad in the photo RS3CA

The purchaser of the calipers also bought the RedStuff pads I was selling.
Who ever you spoke to at EBC clearly doesn't know what they are on about..........

Ok...Getting closer!

So if I read you right they're 'RS4' pads??

The photo shows them I guess but when I zoom in for the part number its not clear enough. If they are RS4 pads, which year/model - If I could have this info I'm good to go!!

Ordered. Will confirm fit and squealessness....hopefully :)

Hi

Redstuff pads fitted. Direct replacement as above except you have to cut the sensor cable off the original and fit to cables off the redstuff pad. 10 minute job to do this. Other than that a child could do it!

Brakes squealed like hell for the first 3 or 4 stops, I think they come with a bedding in coating on the pad - this must have caused the squealing I think, after that they're completely silent. Bliss! Grippier too as far as I can tell.

I'll report back if they start to squeal with time but so far so good. Many thanks to you all for your help! Still not sure why I have to spend another £160 to make a £50k car work properly. Someone wants shooting!

By the way, the dealers had removed the pads and ground away (poorly!) the edges with a grinder!! £50k!! Hell fire!! :)

Reactions: 45bvtc
Some people in the german RS3 forums also complained about some squealing.
Majority of people does not have this issue though.

I've driven my RS3 for 5200 km and not once have I heard squealing.
The brakes do vibrate on rare occasions but that is due to the brake pads leaving residues on the brake disc.

I think people should strain their brakes a little more. Get some temperature in them from time to time.

Reactions: 45bvtc and T-800
But the same was/is true of the 8P RS3, Gorillajebus; some (both in Germany and here in the UK) did suffer brake squeal and others just didn't and I've yet to come up with an explanation; for sure I was able to eliminate to my own satisfaction OEM brake pad brake squeal with anti-squeal shims (both self-adhesive and/or stainless steel) but the best resolution, for me, was/is EBC Redstuff brake pads

PLUS I find EBC Redstuff way more brake disc friendly (both front and rear) than the 'studded' OEM pads

But GOOD for you that you don't suffer low speed brake squeal and/or vibration and I hope for you it stays that way as the Audi RS3 is one fabulous motor car and it doesn't need the on-going embarrassment of low speed brake squeal; maybe it'll be completely eliminated with the so called forthcoming 'facelift', but then again, maybe not...

How are the Dealers tackling this problem when reported to them ?

I work at a dealer and we get this complaint frequently. It is solved by a special assembly paste being applied to the pads, discs and wheel hubs.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Some people in the german RS3 forums also complained about some squealing.
Majority of people does not have this issue though.

I've driven my RS3 for 5200 km and not once have I heard squealing.
The brakes do vibrate on rare occasions but that is due to the brake pads leaving residues on the brake disc.

I think people should strain their brakes a little more. Get some temperature in them from time to time.

How are you thinking? Of course brakes don't vibrate ever other than their is something wrong. I got mine replaced by new ones because it got more and more of the vibrate and the discs were warped. Nothing can repair it as for example mad braking or other magic receiptes they are giving you. By the way mine was replaced at about 10 000 km. The problem occures between approx 5 - 10 000 according to other brake manufacturers. I also tryied to brake away the problem with really heavy braking and so on and I can only say its wishful thinking. Now I have done approx 1300 km with easy braking and some harder braking just to braking them in softly that was what Audi also said and so far its working flawless.

So you warped those huge 360 or70 mm discs?
What did you do the them?

Pretty much 99% time there pad deposits make it like a warped disc. Constant heave hard braking can sort if you get the discs hot enough to burn it off if not they can be skimmed on a pro cutter to sort out its all well documented.

Reactions: Gorillajebus
How are you thinking? Of course brakes don't vibrate ever other than their is something wrong. I got mine replaced by new ones because it got more and more of the vibrate and the discs were warped. Nothing can repair it as for example mad braking or other magic receiptes they are giving you. By the way mine was replaced at about 10 000 km. The problem occures between approx 5 - 10 000 according to other brake manufacturers. I also tryied to brake away the problem with really heavy braking and so on and I can only say its wishful thinking. Now I have done approx 1300 km with easy braking and some harder braking just to braking them in softly that was what Audi also said and so far its working flawless.

Well I've been at the dealer to adress the vibration. They checked the brake and didn't find anything unusual. So they checked the dealers system whether there are records which fit my description.
The dealers system said that the brake pad deposits can occur from time to time. Meaning that people which don't use their brakes properly or not hard enough don't get rid of the residue on their brake discs. Same with flash rust. I will brake itself off the surface after a few brake applications. Also a friend of mine who drives on the Nordschleife regularly told me that his upgraded Tarox brakes do the same thing. When the temperature is too low or when the brakes don't work hard enough the pads will leave deposits on the discs.

Maybe you f***ed your brake discs up and we are describing two different matters here.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Nope that's it bud bud once the deposits are left they are solids needs heavy hard braking like the bedding in procedure.

Holding the car in the brakes at lights and so on can leave the pad deposits also if there hot.

Harder you use them the better.

Well I've been at the dealer to adress the vibration. They checked the brake and didn't find anything unusual. So they checked the dealers system whether there are records which fit my description.
The dealers system said that the brake pad deposits can occur from time to time. Meaning that people which don't use their brakes properly or not hard enough don't get rid of the residue on their brake discs. Same with flash rust. I will brake itself off the surface after a few brake applications. Also a friend of mine who drives on the Nordschleife regularly told me that his upgraded Tarox brakes do the same thing. When the temperature is too low or when the brakes don't work hard enough the pads will leave deposits on the discs.

Maybe you f***ed your brake discs up and we are describing two different matters here.

Ok, fair explanation from you should be how to brake them in the right way and should you even considering doing that on a street car? How should I do to use the brakes properly and not to damage them? Audi can't say anything else than if I want to use the brakes driving sporty I should brake them in for 50 (!!!!!!!!) brakes to do it properly, that's crap in my eyes. How can you even do that in street environment, crazy. Please tell me how to do it other way than that? In my eyes the quality is not at the top. In the RS manual it says that I should drive only 400 km than I can use them normally and they are bedded in. I have a Hayabusa also with no problem at all and braking from 300+.

Nope that's it bud bud once the deposits are left they are solids needs heavy hard braking like the bedding in procedure.

Holding the car in the brakes at lights and so on can leave the pad deposits also if there hot.

Harder you use them the better.

What is different in these brakes from for instance Porsche? I know technicians and above 5 owners of different Porsches from Macan, 996, Panameras and they are just laughing at the "problem" which they don't have and no need to drive as on racetrack to keep the brakes in fine condition.

I work at a dealer and we get this complaint frequently. It is solved by a special assembly paste being applied to the pads, discs and wheel hubs.

I agree, see #10 above; with Copperslip or CeraTec applied to the brake bad back-plate: this resolution has been around since the late 60's when asbestos was deleted from friction materials and it certainly does make an difference but it's not a long term solution and AUDI have yet to resolve with both the 8P and 8V RS3

Note: the 8P arrangement is the same as fitted to the EVO and Impreza cars as well as the RS3 and TTRS plus I think the DB9 and all suffer the same problem with Brembo manufacturing and supplying an anti-squeal shim under both Brembo and Mitsubishi part numbers -
Brembo 98.5032.40 and/or Mitsubishi MR475618: for some reason Audi do not recognise or apply this resolution and for sure they have been told, more than once...

Again, this issue does not affect ALL cars only some and that I find very interesting

For 2-years now my own brakes have remained low-speed brake squeal free, excellent in both low and high speed application, and low dust; but then again I don't use OEM brake pads but EBC Redstuff... :racer:

Mine has been squel free for shure both first and second setup but a friend have had big problems with that and got new pads and is now squel free also but just had it a short bit of time so we shall see if its coming back?

I may have been the first to report low-speed brake squeal to my Audi dealer in February 2012 so here's a brief history and resolution:

3rd February 2012 @ 1315-miles: reported seriously loud low-speed brake squeal to Stafford Audi; as mine was one of the first RS3s their response of "we've never heard of that before, sir" was not expected and their offer to 'clean' non-convincing so away I applied successfully my own 'fix' with Mintex self-adhesive anti-squeal shims

Applied the same 'fix' successfully to a fair number of other RS3 and TTRS owner cars

23rd September 2013 @ 5921 mile: reluctantly I agreed to a 47i6 upgrade and ensured the brake-pad bedding-in procedure was properly undertaken

7th February 2014 @ 6825 miles: Low speed brake squeal returns so applied CeraTec to the back of all 4-pads and the brake squeal is less but has not gone altogether

17th February 2014 @ 7105 miles: fit Brembo anti-squeal shims with CeraTec and problem 100% resolved

9th May 2014 @ 7485 miles: other owners report disc 'damage' with OEM pads and checking my own OEM pads see 'rivets' holding the friction material to the back-plate and decide to change the brake pads for EBC Redstuff (EVO and Imprezza owners using the same brake caliper were recommending...)

15th May 2014 @ 7605 miles: EBC Redstuff fitted and brake-pad bedding-in procedure properly undertaken and what a difference, low speed and high speed bite superb and even the long brake pedal characteristic of the 47i6 upgrade has gone

28th March 2016: still running EBC Redstuff, no way are OEM pads going anywhere near my car

I didn't brake my discs or pads in when I picked up the car. The dealer where I got my RS3 is around 400 km away from where I live. So I just picked it up and drove home like I'd do with any other car. I didn't pay special attention to the brakes.
I only made sure that I didn't exceed 4.000 rpm the first 1000km and after that gradually increased RPM. Per 100 km driven I increased RPM by around 500 so at around 1500km I would hit max RPM.

After that I took it for a spirited drive on a b-road. Brakes didn't have any issues at all, no squealing no rubbing no vibrations.
At around 4500 km I noticed some vibrations and thats where the explanation of my dealer came in.

One thing to note about the RS3 brakes: The calipers are top notch and could probably stop a freight train.
Its the pads and the discs which in my opinion could be of higher quality. For daily driving they're fine but for regular track usage I would use a different manufacturer. If I hadn't bought the Audi Fleet Comfort package (which includes disc and pad wear) I would have changed the discs and pads already just for my good conscience.

Difference Porsche and RS3 brakes: Porsche makes sure the brakes get better airflow to help cooling the brakes. They also use better materials for pads and discs.

Addition: You can upgrade your brakes with harder pads and with better discs.
BUT most of the pads and discs which are more durable also come with louder squeaking.
Brake components such as harder and thermally more durable pads may cause squeaking.
In recent BMW M2 videos (a car which I, as a Audi Sport fan, really like) you can clearly hear the brakes squealing when coming to a stop. Some reviews of the M2 in Laguna Seca mention that the brakes are durable, even after a 5+ laps on the track. But BMW ///M actually used performance brake pads on those M2's for that media event to make sure that the brakes won't fade. The squealing you can hear in the videos is caused by those pads.

Listen closely at 11:20.
1:56 , 2:30

The OEM parts try to do two things:

1. maintain braking performance
2. maintain comfort

And those two things often don't get along very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc and T-800