Squeaky exhaust valve = new system!

randy4

Reaction score
Just thought I’d share my story so far in brief around this issue...

Bought my late 2017 model RS3 in December from a VW garage in Nottingham, great car and it drove well. My only gripes were that the rear pads look nearly gone and discs corroded. And that there was a squeaking noise from the exhaust valves which could be heard changing from D to S while parked or whenever the valves open and close (mostly while driving it is hard to hear due to the purring of the engine). This was flagged to the salesman who had it inspected and the VW technician said it was because it had been stood and would disappear after a bit of driving. The pads were 50% worn so they wouldn’t replace.

Rudely 2 weeks after buying the car I had notice that the first MOT was due, so thought to myself “my fault I should’ve asked when it was due” anyway the exhaust was still squeaking so I booked it into Audi JCT600 for MOT and health check noting for them to check exhaust squeaking.

Audi Cam technician informs me the pin is squeaking due to light corrosion. Service lady informs me it needs a diagnostic check which costs £168 to find the problem to see if it can be fixed (knowing that it isn’t accessible I expected the worst). This inspection wasn’t covered under warranty which I wasn’t happy about so rang VW and said they needed to pay for this, they did and the inspection came back with a £2000 cost for new exhaust and silencers which apparently isn’t covered under warranty. All for a squeaking valve pin, however corrosion isn’t something to live with so now I’m stuck between a battle between VW and Audi to see who is going to pay for this.

I just hope I don’t get stuck with the bill and that either VW front the cost as the correct thing to do or Audi decide that technically this is a warranty issue or if I find this to be a popular issue then they cover it anyway in goodwill. I wanted to share my progress with this situation to see if anyone else has had this problem?

That's a bit crappy to be hoping that you don't have to spend another 2k on a car from a main dealership 3 months into ownership. Hope you get the outcome you would like.

Unfortunately I've not experience this on my 2015 model. Seems a raw fault this one

Just thought I’d share my story so far in brief around this issue...

Bought my late 2017 model RS3 in December from a VW garage in Nottingham, great car and it drove well. My only gripes were that the rear pads look nearly gone and discs corroded. And that there was a squeaking noise from the exhaust valves which could be heard changing from D to S while parked or whenever the valves open and close (mostly while driving it is hard to hear due to the purring of the engine). This was flagged to the salesman who had it inspected and the VW technician said it was because it had been stood and would disappear after a bit of driving. The pads were 50% worn so they wouldn’t replace.

Rudely 2 weeks after buying the car I had notice that the first MOT was due, so thought to myself “my fault I should’ve asked when it was due” anyway the exhaust was still squeaking so I booked it into Audi JCT600 for MOT and health check noting for them to check exhaust squeaking.

Audi Cam technician informs me the pin is squeaking due to light corrosion. Service lady informs me it needs a diagnostic check which costs £168 to find the problem to see if it can be fixed (knowing that it isn’t accessible I expected the worst). This inspection wasn’t covered under warranty which I wasn’t happy about so rang VW and said they needed to pay for this, they did and the inspection came back with a £2000 cost for new exhaust and silencers which apparently isn’t covered under warranty. All for a squeaking valve pin, however corrosion isn’t something to live with so now I’m stuck between a battle between VW and Audi to see who is going to pay for this.

I just hope I don’t get stuck with the bill and that either VW front the cost as the correct thing to do or Audi decide that technically this is a warranty issue or if I find this to be a popular issue then they cover it anyway in goodwill. I wanted to share my progress with this situation to see if anyone else has had this problem?

A new mid-pipe back exhaust is £1300 so £700 for fitting they’re having a laugh.

The valves rotate on a shaft and I’d be inclined to spray the shaft (while cold) with some sort of lubricant.
There’s actually a procedure here involving alcohol and graphite.

https://www.processindustryforum.com/innovations/tips-for-exhaust-butterfly-valve-servicing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: DW81
That's a bit crappy to be hoping that you don't have to spend another 2k on a car from a main dealership 3 months into ownership. Hope you get the outcome you would like.

Unfortunately I've not experience this on my 2015 model. Seems a raw fault this one

I’ll keep the thread updated as it might help others in the future too

A new mid-pipe back exhaust is £1300 so £700 for fitting they’re having a laugh.

The valves rotate on a shaft and I’d be inclined to spray the shaft (while cold) with some sort of lubricant.
There’s actually a procedure here involving alcohol and graphite.

https://www.processindustryforum.com/innovations/tips-for-exhaust-butterfly-valve-servicing

This is an interesting article to consider if I wasn’t in the situation I’m in, only owning the car for a short while. Worth noting :thumbs up:

The back box from Audi is 1240+VAT according to the job sheet. There are new hangers on there too as well as what looks like the valve controllers but still yes I’ve been told already that the labour cost is really high. I just hope between Audi and VW they find a way to cover it or I’d be forced to take action another way, I’ve literally had the car 7 weeks!

Blimey a few hours of labour for an outfit like audi with all their latest tools 4 post ramps to fit a section of exhaust. Most indies and backyard mechanics could probably do this in less than an hour. Good luck any way mate

Reactions: randy4 and 8YARWY
So a little update is that VW’s after sales service guy has been looking into the exhaust and has found it a less than a rare occasion that this has happened to an RS owner. Therefore pushed on the warranty provider harder, today I’ve been informed that they can cover this under warranty. So there looks to be some light at the end of the tunnel as it were.

Reactions: taks1, jebusRS and DW81
I just had my exhaust looked at. The flap / door started squeaking around November and was a rare occurrence, but got worse through January. Then 2 weeks ago with the cold weather it's failed completely in open position. Audi confirmed its a mechanical malfunction on the control unit and they want £1700 for the pleasure of replacing the silencer.

yours looks to be at least one of 2 other examples I've spotted on this site, so I am going to challenge Audi on this.

A quick update: after some back and forth with the warranty company they have decided that it is a fault and should be replaced under warranty. So I’m hoping everything is seen through and the exhaust is replaced soon.

I just had my exhaust looked at. The flap / door started squeaking around November and was a rare occurrence, but got worse through January. Then 2 weeks ago with the cold weather it's failed completely in open position. Audi confirmed its a mechanical malfunction on the control unit and they want £1700 for the pleasure of replacing the silencer.

yours looks to be at least one of 2 other examples I've spotted on this site, so I am going to challenge Audi on this.

I would definitely challenge it! do you have your warranty still? How long have you had the car?

Exhaust has been successful replaced although the midsection looks a bit different now so I probably have one of the later versions, hopefully not the OPF version...how would I know?

How do you know that the valves stopped working? Is it only noise or are there any fault codes/warning lights? It seems that it could be harmful to the engine to rev the car with closed valves.

How do you know that the valves stopped working? Is it only noise or are there any fault codes/warning lights? It seems that it could be harmful to the engine to rev the car with closed valves.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s set up so if a fail happens it’s always in the open position.

Generally the ECU will pull / limit engine performance if it detects a failure to protect the engine.

Reactions: Evolution_Roy
If anyone is looking out for this issue it is easy to check for...When changing from drive into sport the valves partly open this happens even at a stand still, almost readying them to open fully at the set revolution. As one of my valves was beginning to fail I could here it squeaking while doing this change into S (you need the windows down to hear it) I now also know (having the new fully functional exhaust fitted) that it is noticeable on a cold start too that something was wrong. It would blow quite loadly on one side more than the other. From having a few dual exit cars in the past I didn’t think this a massive issue as the pipework can sometimes cause one side to sound a little different. But actually I can now hear that it is pretty equal sounding. So if you notice something oddly unbalanced during cold start I guess that could be another watch out for this failure...potentially.

Mine has started squeaking recently and a lovely 6 months after warranty has run out .

Hooray ...

Reactions: 8YARWY
So weirdly I got an email the other day saying my warranty expires on the 29th September and not back in January like I thought. Coincides with 2 year anniversary of buying it so must have had 2 years approved used warranty.

Scanned the car today and found 3 errors :

P14AC00 - Exhaust door control unit 2 mechanical malfunction

P14AB00 - Exhaust door control unit mechanical malfunction

P085000 - Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit
Intermittent

So I will be dropping into Audi Glasgow on my way home from work tomorrow to get it booked in

So weirdly I got an email the other day saying my warranty expires on the 29th September and not back in January like I thought. Coincides with 2 year anniversary of buying it so must have had 2 years approved used warranty.

Scanned the car today and found 3 errors :

P14AC00 - Exhaust door control unit 2 mechanical malfunction

P14AB00 - Exhaust door control unit mechanical malfunction

P085000 - Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit
Intermittent

So I will be dropping into Audi Glasgow on my way home from work tomorrow to get it booked in

Winning……..

Reactions: Count Drunkula
Thankfully I haven't put on any of the goodies I'm stockpiling for it yet

Any news on this Drunkula? Same issue as mine?

…in other news mine is back in at Audi…transfer box failure 3.5k fix

Any news on this Drunkula? Same issue as mine?

…in other news mine is back in at Audi…transfer box failure 3.5k fix
Just waiting on approval of warranty claim coming through from Audi UK .

Seen your thread on transfer box , load of utter rubbish from that garage . Audi supplied cars with square 235 setup from the factory and as others have stated tyre manufacturers publish that 8.5J is an acceptable rim to mount a 235/35 tyre.

I have 255 front and 235 rear with pilot sport 4S all round and no mention of my car not having OE Pirelli’s from technician

Update:

Audi UK are claiming that the "extended" warranty on the car only covers mechanical breakdown items and as far as they are concerned the exhaust is still doing the job it is designed for ie controlling emissions.

When I asked about the fact the flaps had already failed in the open position for a period and had generated error codes , I was told the codes have been cleared and have not returned and even if the flap motors had failed altogether it would not be covered under the current extended warranty

Update:

Audi UK are claiming that the "extended" warranty on the car only covers mechanical breakdown items and as far as they are concerned the exhaust is still doing the job it is designed for ie controlling emissions.

When I asked about the fact the flaps had already failed in the open position for a period and had generated error codes , I was told the codes have been cleared and have not returned and even if the flap motors had failed altogether it would not be covered under the current extended warranty

Are the flaps failing or the motor ?

They didn't say.

I won't give them the money to replace it , I'll wait until Ecotune do their black Friday sale and get a Milltek cat back and put new servo motors on it as I can get new 1s through the parts dept in work for about £100 each