SQ5 Squeaky parcel shelf roller

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Has anyone found a way to stop the parcel shelf roller from creaking and squeaking? It's driving me mad! :angry:

Is this a retractable unit or the lift with boot, as if its the latter, it usually has some rubber coverings on the rear anchors that roll when lifted, sometimes some gentle say 2k wet & dry sandpaper rubbed around this removes the squeaking, subject to your shelf version installed.

Is this a retractable unit or the lift with boot, as if its the latter, it usually has some rubber coverings on the rear anchors that roll when lifted, sometimes some gentle say 2k wet & dry sandpaper rubbed around this removes the squeaking, subject to your shelf version installed.
Hi, Nige; it's the retractable one.

Is it fixed to the rear seats.

Ideally I would try narrowing it down with some electrical tape in places, once you've found the cause, maybe try some felt tape or coroplast loom tape in the area found to squeak.

Reactions: jdp1962
Is it fixed to the rear seats.

Ideally I would try narrowing it down with some electrical tape in places, once you've found the cause, maybe try some felt tape or coroplast loom tape in the area found to squeak.
No, it doesn't actually touch the seat backs; there's a gap of about an inch between the forward edge of the shelf and the seat back. The shelf fixes into latched recesses on the same mouldings that hold the rear speakers and seat belt anchors.

I would use some fabric, like a yellow detailing cloth, where it sits in the latches or anywhere it sits against any plastics or seated open or closed positions, see if the squeak goes, that way you can then decide how to resolve properly, usually coroplast or felt tape works well.

Reactions: jdp1962