Stage 1 Shark on 8P A3 2.0 tfsi quattro (facelift): a review

Moot_point

Reaction score
Hi all

This is my first post here.

As the title suggests, I drive an 8P A3 2.0 tfsi quattro (facelift) and have today had it remapped by Shark in Mansfield.

I thought I would post my initial review as I noticed, when doing my homework into remaps, that there is a dearth of similar reviews out there for this particular car.

By way of background, I bought this motor three years ago. I originally planned to buy an S3, but thanks to a number of horror stories I heard about thefts of S and RS Audis, I went with this instead.

Out of the box, I would describe the performance as spritely - it has the same engine and similar set-up as a mk6 GTI - and the Haldex and S-tronic gearbox complement that performance nicely.

However, no doubt like many here, I had that itch for more POWAAR.

I looked into several maps, in particular Revo and Shark, and decided ultimately to go for the latter. I did that because, 1) I fancied a linear map which Shark is known for, and 2) it was advertised as £200 cheaper than the Revo map (although, as it happened, I ended up getting it for £250 cheaper, which is something Shark kindly did to entice me into making the 250 mile round trip)!

So what is it like on first impression?

Well, I will deal first with the terms often used to describe remaps.

Is it 'night and day'? No.

Does it 'transform the car'? No.

Should it have 'left the factory' in this way? Maybe.

My honest feedback is that it is a lot smoother.

The turbo must come in sooner now because onset of boost is barely perceptible, whereas before it would noticeably 'kick in' at around 2,000-2,500rpm.

It is faster at the lower end but not significantly so.

At mid range it is significantly better and noticeably more powerful. Whereas before it would tail off at the upper rev range it now continues to pull right through.

Am I happy with it? Yes and I am really looking forward to putting more miles on it.

Any questions, let me know!

I decided against the dyno. Was in a bit of a dash. Plus, if it had been under the advertised power gains I would have been disappointed and if it had been over I would have felt compelled to tell my insurer, meaning they might take even more from me than they already are for the map!

Last edited:
I've read of huge torque gains on the ea888 motors, if that's what yours is..

It is that engine. The torque increase is claimed to be 120-140nm. Doesn't feel like that on the ar*e dyno.
You'd certainly feel 400Nm in an A3 lol. Wonder what the actual gains were..

You'd certainly feel 400Nm in an A3 lol. Wonder what the actual gains were..

Exactly! If the torque gain had been 33% I would be waxing lyrical now about the 'night and day' difference.

I will probably never know what the improvement is, but, if I am honest, I am not overly troubled if I haven't got the advertised increase - I wouldn't want anything expensive to go pop in my last 12 months with the car.

Interesting Moot_point , I have the same facelift model as you, it is the EA888 engine, codeCCZA . Hopefully having mine mapped soon but more local.

They do all the TFSI engines and with rolling road fine tuning. All the remaps I've had in the past make for a smoother and quieter engine and sometimes more mpg as well, I trust AMD for all their work.

Second impression.

The missus asked me to go out first thing to collect something from Parcel Force.

I feigned upset about the 'inconvenience' of that. Naturally.

And no sooner than she could tell me to forget about it, I was back on the road.

Now, I really want to avoid descending into a cliche spouting blithering wreck, but lordy, his car has undergone a far more serious transformation than I first credited the remappers for.

They did tell me that it would take some time for the map to 'bed in'. I took that with a pinch of salt, as I was handing over payment.

However, having driven it today, I am delighted by the change and a bit nervous! So are the stock brakes (which have developed a whimper not dissimilar to my daughter's on the first day of term).

I took the car to my usual private runway and it literally took off, all the way to the redline.

It feels like my mate's stock mk7 r, which we took to the same runway a couple of months back.

Okay, it won't be as fast as the Golf but I reckon it is at least on a par with a stock s3 of the same year as my car, which pleases me given that that it is the car I wanted in the first place.

To anybody thinking of doing it, I say think no more - do it!

Last edited:
Glad to hear!

As you have a quattro I believe you have the same running gear and engine as an S3 but smaller turbo and different pistons and 2 small side intercoolers instead of one big one?

You know you can convert it to K04? You would basically have an S3 in sheeps clothing... of course a stage 1 s3 is around 330hp?

http://r-techperformance.co.uk/axx-bwa-tfsi-k04-turbo-conversion/

Glad you can feel a difference. I wasn’t so sure at first but now I can tell my car has been remapped and feels much more lively.

Okay, third impression.

I have now done around 700 miles since the remap (and I only usually drive at weekends ).

I can categorically say that fuel consumption has not improved - but that is because I am spanking the car all the time! (The missus asked me whether fuel consumption had improved and, of course, I said yes).

Most importantly, I love driving this car. It is considerably faster and a torquer. Is that a word? I don't care, I'm too busy enjoying the car.

Reactions: leshkin and Pazzer
Problem is, after having aremap, you soon get used to it as yo've already found out :yes:
There's always stage 2 to look forward to.
I would not buy a new car, depreciation is a killer of bank accounts, been there in the past and lost thousands :sorrow: