Staggered. Alloys. Tyre size

NOZ

Reaction score
Hi all taking delivery. Of new wheels in 2 weeks 19" staggered what would be the best option. For tyres in regards if size 235/35/19 all round or would I be better suited with different. Tyres front and back

Depends on a number of things. Short answer is that if they are staggered, then yeah, it should be different tyres front and back, as the same size tyre on a different width wheel will look totally different.

Need more information on the width of the wheels, offset of the wheels, how low you run etc etc

yeah there gonna be staggered 8.5 f & 9.5 r tyre options are

front 235/35/19
rear 265/30/19

or

front 245/35/19
rear 275/30/19

obviously I don't want any rubbing etc what is going to be my better option as in the near future I wish to add a set of coilovers I don't want the car slammed but just want the stance to be good

answers on a postcard please guys your help and comments are as ever much appreciated

Just going back to the first question, staggered wheels for your vehicle don't seem like a good choice. However its completely up to you and yes you would need different sized tyres

I have staggered wheels on mine, but as it's a Quattro I had to be careful that I kept the rolling radius the same front and back to look after the diff so have the same size tyres all round:

Front
19x8.5 ET48 with a 5mm spacer
Rear
19x9 ET52 with a 10mm spacer

245/35/19 all round

I'm hoping to swap the front rims for the same size as the rear, just need to try them out.

Reactions: al_p
Just going back to the first question, staggered wheels for your vehicle don't seem like a good choice. However its completely up to you and yes you would need different sized tyres

Why is it not a good choice?? :-s

I have staggered wheels on mine, but as it's a Quattro I had to be careful that I kept the rolling radius the same front and back to look after the diff so have the same size tyres all round:

Front
19x8.5 ET48 with a 5mm spacer
Rear
19x9 ET52 with a 10mm spacer

245/35/19 all round

I'm hoping to swap the front rims for the same size as the rear, just need to try them out.

Running the same size tyre on both an 8.5' rim and a 9' rim won't result in the same rolling radius mate....? Granted we are gonna be talking amounts probably too small to make a difference when it's just a half inch...

yeah there gonna be staggered 8.5 f & 9.5 r tyre options are

front 235/35/19
rear 265/30/19

or

front 245/35/19
rear 275/30/19

obviously I don't want any rubbing etc what is going to be my better option as in the near future I wish to add a set of coilovers I don't want the car slammed but just want the stance to be good

answers on a postcard please guys your help and comments are as ever much appreciated

What offset wheels are they?

Those are quite wide tyres, but you might get away with them if you're not going daft with lows.

I run 215/35 and 225/35 on my 8.5/9.5's...

Running the same size tyre on both an 8.5' rim and a 9' rim won't result in the same rolling radius mate....? Granted we are gonna be talking amounts probably too small to make a difference when it's just a half inch...

My understanding is that the steel band in the build of the tread of the tyre is what fixes the radius. The tyre wall stretches to accommodate any differences in wheel width (also differences in tyre pressure, load on cornering etc). Ok there could be a very slight difference but it won't be as much as half an inch in the rolling radius, perhaps a few millimetres in the circumference.

Sorry yeah the half inch I was referring to was the difference in the width of the wheel, not the rolling radius :)

But aye, you will lose some of the tyre wall on the wider wheel as it stretches to accommodate the extra width.

The rolling radius on your wider wheel will be less as a result. Whether or not it's enough of a difference to mess with a Quattro system or not isn't for me to say though... Like you say though, we are literally talking about millimetres here. Defo not worth stressing over lol :)

Last edited:

Apologies. Made a slight error. Of course they are not a bad choice. My bad :/
Tyres would need to be different front and back for the sake of grip

Hi gents, while we're on the topic..
would a staggered set of alloys cause trouble to quattro system/diff or can it cope fine with the extra one inch in width?

some say (and it makes sense) since my car is a quattro I'd want the keep the wheels same size/width all around to keep the quattro system happy, but then on the other hand I'm seeing so many folks putting on wider rears....

Hi gents, while we're on the topic..
would a staggered set of alloys cause trouble to quattro system/diff or can it cope fine with the extra one inch in width?

some say (and it makes sense) since my car is a quattro I'd want the keep the wheels same size/width all around to keep the quattro system happy, but then on the other hand I'm seeing so many folks putting on wider rears....

The extra width of the wheel will make absolutely no different to your quattro system at all.

The potential for problems comes in the difference in rolling radius between the front and back wheel - so as long as you're clever about keeping the rolling radius the same (or as near as possible), you shouldnt get any problems.

Its the 'height' of your wheel and tyre combo thats important here, not the width :)

as i have no clue over the rolling radius thing despite reading through this thread can I ask for a recommendation on tyre sizes for 19'' 8.5 front, 9.5 rear.
for the front 235/35/19 seems to be a sort of normal size but then what for the rears?

as i have no clue over the rolling radius thing despite reading through this thread can I ask for a recommendation on tyre sizes for 19'' 8.5 front, 9.5 rear.
for the front 235/35/19 seems to be a sort of normal size but then what for the rears?
I will be putting my new wheels on at the end of the week (8.5 front and 9.5 rear same as you) I'm going for 255 35 19 all round but I have a few 235 35 in my shed that I may put on the front. I'll let you know how I get on with the 255's

255 is too wide i thing,but yeah let me/us know how you get on with it. I'll go for 235,35 all around just to see how will the car cope with it,and then might go down to 225/35 on front or 245/35 on rear.

255 is too wide i thing,but yeah let me/us know how you get on with it. I'll go for 235,35 all around just to see how will the car cope with it,and then might go down to 225/35 on front or 245/35 on rear.
Believe it or not, I've got 255 all round on 8 inch rims!!!! I'm just not a fan of the stretched look. I like some rubber to protect the rim too. Mega potholes where I live.

Fair play mate its just that a 25cmm wide tyre on 20cmm wide wheel is a bit to much IMO.
I don't want any crazy stretch either ,just thought 9.5J wheel is just over 23cm in width so i thought 235 35 should be just fine.

View attachment 34932
I did a test fit with the tyres that are on and they are 255 35 front and 265 35 rear. The 265 look and fit great but as I already have 255's I'm going with them

Reactions: NOZ
Now got my new wheels on. 255 35 all round, I'm very happy with the rears (9.5j et43) they fit very well. But the fronts (8.5j et42 with 11.7mm spacers) rub slightly on the wing going over speed bumps, so I will be trying 235 35 on the front next week to see if that helps.

Attachments

• 20140614_182438.jpg
    20140614_182438.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 512
  • 20140614_182529.jpg
    20140614_182529.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 532
  • 20140614_182509.jpg
    20140614_182509.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 493
  • 20140614_182520.jpg
    20140614_182520.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 497
Mine are on now 3sdm 0.01 staggered
Got 245/35/19 rear and 235/35/19 front although. Now I think a wider tyre. On the rear would offer more protection perhaps a 255

Mine are on now 3sdm 0.01 staggered
Got 245/35/19 rear and 235/35/19 front although. Now I think a wider tyre. On the rear would offer more protection perhaps a 255
I know what you mean noz, I'm very happy with the fitment of my 255's on the rear. Any photos?

Uploadfromtaptalk1402948853567Uploadfromtaptalk1402948878845

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402948786450.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402948786450.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 544
Looks very nice. You will be gutted if you scrape them though with no rim protector! What's the spec on your wheels?

Does look very nice Tom. What's the stretch like on the rear?

Sorry to bring up a old thread but I'm getting some staggered wheels for my Quattro and looking at 235/35 front but stuck on the rears is 255/35 ok ? Cheers for any help

Sorry to bring up a old thread but I'm getting some staggered wheels for my Quattro and looking at 235/35 front but stuck on the rears is 255/35 ok ? Cheers for any help
Yup I went for 245 on the rear but could of gone bigger for a little more protection

Attachments

• DSC_0165.JPG
    DSC_0165.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 589
Sound cheers mate I had already ordered mine I went for 235/35 fronts and 245/35 rears :) just got to wait for them to turn up now

My is also 235/35/19 all around , front 8,5 rear 9,5. Quattro system allows 3% difference in rolling radius. More then 3% that you can have lots of ESP warning lights and killing your torssen diff. If you stretch your tyre still gonna have same rolling radius, because tyre has inside steel wires what they keeping in the same form.