Standard Rate Tax/£310 Additional Rate

Ron240

Breaking the stereotype
Reaction score
Most of us know that the DVLA introduced a £310 supplement on top of the £140 standard rate for new car tax on vehicles having a list price over £40,000 from 1st April 2017, which applies for 5 years after first registration.
There is some confusion however on what exactly determines the "list price"
I was slightly confused over this myself due to differing online information.
Here is what DVLA officially say about the list price of a vehicle - "The list price is the price on the day before the date on which the vehicle will be taxed and registered for the first time"
So this means all delivery charges are included, but first registration and first year tax is not.
First registration costs £55 and the first year tax on my car (151 g/km) is £515(registered after 1st April 2018).
The manufacturers on the road price of my S3 Saloon Black Edition comes to just over £40,000, but after deducting the above £570 it is reduced to under £40,000. :)
I was categorically assured this would be the case when I bought it, but up until I receive the reminder in the post in May this year there would always have been that niggling doubt in my mind.
I have attached an official DVLA document from 2017, but the important point on how list price is determined has not changed.

Attachments

• Vehicle tax rules-10-january-2017.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 247
Reactions: Jcbmally
Most of us know that the DVLA introduced a £310 supplement on top of the £140 standard rate for new car tax on vehicles having a list price over £40,000 from 1st April 2017, which applies for 5 years after first registration.
There is some confusion however on what exactly determines the "list price"
I was slightly confused over this myself due to differing online information.
Here is what DVLA officially say about the list price of a vehicle - "The list price is the price on the day before the date on which the vehicle will be taxed and registered for the first time"
So this means all delivery charges are included, but first registration and first year tax is not.
First registration costs £55 and the first year tax on my car (151 g/km) is £515(registered after 1st April 2018).
The manufacturers on the road price of my S3 Saloon Black Edition comes to just over £40,000, but after deducting the above £570 it is reduced to under £40,000. :)
I was categorically assured this would be the case when I bought it, but up until I receive the reminder in the post in May this year there would always have been that niggling doubt in my mind.
I have attached an official DVLA document from 2017, but the important point on how list price is determined has not changed.
So according to the DVLA you can check your V5 and it will show if the additional rate is applicable. But like you say it also states first registration fee and first year road tax is NOT included so can make the difference to the -/+£40k bracket.