Start button issues

StumpieT

Reaction score
Anyone had this issue with there motor. My pride and joy starts using the start button usually without fail. Then on the odd occasion the first attempt of the day there's nothing. Key in and turned all dash symbols are fine, vehicle check states OK. When I press the start button nothing happens, I can hear the relay click but the engine does not turn over. I open and close every door and the bonnet. This sometimes seams to solve the problem and I can start the engine. Then other times nothing I do gets her purring, just walk away, lock her up and return 30 to 60 min. She firers up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Could be the 'clutch down' switch, seems to be the most common thing causing starting issues (though it's usually a delayed start, or you have to hold down the button until the car starts). Not sure what role opening doors plays, but if it's intermittent then I'd wager a dodge sensor or loose connection somewhere.

RS4 owners with similar problems on audzine have found that they've had to replace the starter motor.

The clutch switch being faulty just means that you have to hold down the starter button rather than just giving it a short tap.

Reactions: MartayMcFly
Once had the opposite. My car "broke up" when I couldn't stop the engine!

I have changed the clutch switch at bottom of peddle, then the top clutch/ cruise control switch along with top brake switch. I must thank the parts staff at (YES) Audi great help and discount. Problem now a thing of the past

Had similar issue, mostly compounded when a bit chilly, it seems so far that changing the starter relay has solved it

had this issue with my b7 rs4 new starter motor fixed it :)