Started a new project recently, something to do during the dark winter evenings.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So with the winter long and depressing evening etc upon us now I have started another long-overdue project.
Total rebuild of a model 40 Flathead V8.

It has been problematic for some time but recently it just won't fire up.
It has all the prerequisites for combustion etc but it won't, a wet and dry compression test I ran showed 5psi on one cyl and 40psi across the rest, well down on what it should be.
possibly rings but more likely poor seating valves to blame me thinks.
The solution, rip it out and rebuild it.

So that what I'm doing, it's not going to be 2-day project, probably a few months as parts are not as easy to obtain as you'd think.

It's buy no means a lightweight lump either, lucikly my block and tackle took the strain..lol

So far I've found a few areas that will require attention, all the valve will indeed need work, possibly new rings aswell.
One of the Main bearing journals has a nasty gouge in it , that will mean a complete new set...eek.
thats is it so far , a major cleaning session will be required and decoke as its very coked up.

well it keeps me busy is if I didn't have enough to do anyway...lol

so pic's as we all like pics.
V8fh
V8fh2
V8fh3
V8fh4
V8fh6

Last edited:
Reactions: EXSpartan36
Look forward to reading the progress Rob. :friends::thumbs up:

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Thanks, Sandra.:thumbs up:
It's going to be one of those jobs that will just throw a spanner in the works when its least expected to be honest, but nothing I can't deal with.
I will do a few updates, I know it's not an Audi but life doesn't revolve around Audi all the time, well I have other interests for sure, but it makes for an alternative distraction for some.:yes:

Reactions: Sandra
So it was off to the blasters today for a soothing bead blasting session, should clean up all those nasty choked up valve ports etc.
hopefully ready in two weeks time.:yes:

Block1

Reactions: Simon and Sandra
back on this project now the winter is nearly upon us all.

block all blasted some time ago and ready for rebuild .
I need to find some new parts too as the engine is not quite what is should be, looks like 34 flat head but is, in fact, an early 37 with some 34 bits fitted to make it look the correct year for the car.

The crankshaft bearing shells will need replacing as i found this on closer inspection.
piston rings will need replacing with oversize too and a rebore due to some deep scoring.
lots to do and plenty of time to do it.

IMG 1656
IMG 1683
IMG 1978

Reactions: Simon
I've had the crankshaft checked and is within wear tolerances so touch wood it is ok and won't need regrinding etc, something had to go right. :yes:

Its been a while with very minimal progress due to parts etc but full steam ahead now.

All parts are here , just doing the prep now.
degreasing all parts , blasting the bits that need it , then onto etch priming , painting and the rebuild itself.

A few other bits to deal with though.
The front engine mount/water outlet are somewhat worse for wear, replacements are like hen's teeth so some careful welding and grinding is needed.

heads decoked.
small steps today but more during the week.
FDPQ1278
IMG 5120
IMG 5123

Inlet manifold just about to get a soothing fine blast with the blaster.
IMG 5130

some nice new shiny bits.
Carb, full valve kit, pistons rings etc.

IMSE2034
JLQJ3220

Reactions: Simon and Sandra
Another day and a bit further.
lots of masking up threads, mating surfaces etc, all a bit time-consuming but it pays off later.
IMG 5152
IMG 5161
IMG 5174
IMG 5176

etch primed the main sections and then a soothing coat of year correct colour top coat, it's very "green".:yahoo:

I'll leave it to harden off for the rest of the week before removing the loosely fitted heads and other aux parts ready to start the internal rebuild.

Still at the bottom of a very big iceberg on this one but it's moving forward now.:icon thumright:

Last edited:
And still further this evening.
internals all sparkling clean ready for the refit of parts.
Camshaft super lubed with assembly lubricant and refitted, it rotates so smoothly. :yahoo:
In with bearing shells etc, crankshaft and caps, lots more lube in appropriate areas.
on with small covers and brackets.

a bit further up the hill , still away to go.
valves in tomorrow after some gentle lapping in, guides and springs.
IMG 5178
IMG 5190
SPSC4276

Last edited:
Old valves are only going one way, straight into my metal recycling bin. :icon thumright:
New valves, guides and spring going in tomorrow so a nice bit of lapping is on the cards.

The new performance valves are a massive improvement over the old items, no mushroom end to struggle with, the new guides are a one-piece setup with o-ring seals, something the old setup never had.

I've given the pistons an initial decoke, a more in-depth clean tomorrow and fitting new rings.
IMG 5209
IMG 5211
IMG 5210

new valves all lapped in nicely, then removed and cleaned
IMG 52131
IMG 52201
IMG 52231
assembled as complete units and refitted in their correct positions.

The pistons going back in tomorrow.

Another day on and a bit of a snag to overcome.
When using adjustable valve lifters there is a special tool for adjusting the valve clearance, oh yes, and what a special tool that or more to point they are, total pain in the buttocks frankly.
One of those tools that unless you have the hands of a 5-year-old and 3 of them it is such a pain to do.
So rather than waste days and lots of cursing and shouting I opted to do the drilling mod. The plus points just outweigh the negatives, such as having to strip the engine back to the bare block.
Luckily from the previous engine rebuilds over the years I have learnt to never get too far ahead of myself, just in case an issue occurs.

So with everything off again and a session with my angled air drill, 16 x 4mm holes to be drilled very carefully without damaging the lifter bores etc.

Mission completed this evening block was cleaned completely and all parts were refitted back to the previous build stage, don't need drill swarth floating around in a newly rebuilt engine.
so I can now do the valve adjustments in an hour, not days and without all the hassle.

In case your asking yourself why the holes, simple it allows a 4mm metal dowl or similar hi-tensile strength pin to be inserted which holds the lifter solid whilst then turning the adjuster bolt, which is tight.

VADN6802
OMBP0135
IMG 5239

Hopefully be worth all the work at the end.

Last edited:
So what does the chariot that this lump is going to propell look like Rob?

1934 5 window coupe
Pic below.
not the actual car but a very good resemblence.

when its all back together and i can get it out in the open i'll put a few pics.:icon thumright:

Reactions: Frizzley and Simon
Made some space in the garage so a few pics.
IMG 5256
IMG 5257

proper air con. :icon thumright:
IMG 5265
IMG 5267

Modern HU's make this original motorola unit look allmost old .
Proper sprung bench seats, just like sitting on your home sofa.:icon thumright:

Room in the rear for a couple.
IMG 5259
IMG 5263
IMG 5262
IMG 5268

Now that's something Rob, I saw a beaten up patina'd one of these back when I used to have a couple of VW splitscreen buses and went to all the show's. I think it was at Bristol Volksfest, once I'd seen it I really wanted one or maybe a rough but loooowwww Chevy side step truck something 1950's :sunglasses:

Its is, classic hot rod these days , well when modded that is.

Iconic front grille , ZZ top used the same body for their vids with some very wide wheels and wheel arches.

Yeah the 3 window commands even more money now :flushed: I think it all started for me as a kid growing up on hand me down custom car / hot rod magazines, some of those interior's though in the 70's and 80's :scared2:

Back on the old gelopy project this evening
The new valve guide seals arrived today from sunny California, they were supposed to be included with the rest of the kit but were missing for some reason best known to the supplier.
So after a 2-week delay things are moving onwards again with all valves lapped and seated nicely, had to make a special tool to get the valve guide retaining clip in position but all sorted.
levering the valve guides and springs looks very brutal but it is the correct way and the only way to get the retaining clip in, the valve spring and guide need to be pulled down full , then the clip can be inserted.

my homemade tool may look a bit heath Robinson but it works spot on, why pay £150 for something that is basically the same tool.

pistons going back into tomorrow.:yahoo:
IMG 5370
IMG 5371
IMG 5373
IMG 5372

All done.
Managed to get a few days on it this week and all finished, just need to fabricate a jig to hold it so i can test it out of the car first.
then shoehorn that lump back into the old girl. :thumbs up: :yahoo:
IMG 54091
IMG 54291

That Rad cooling fan would not get past health and safety regs these days..lol

Finally managed to get it slotted back into the car with ancillary bits refitted .
There is a bit of wiring to sort out , then refit radiator, grille and hood and hopefully i can fire it up.
Then sort out the siezed brakes on all 4 wheels, it never ends.
Fordv82

Reactions: Sandra and Dadar
I think this project warrants a video when you fire it up Rob!

So 6 months on and I have managed to get it fired up and just needs some fine-tuning to the ign advance and carb idle.:racer:
then refit the Rad cover and bonnet covers.
Its been a bit of a drawn-out project due to delays with parts from the states etc and stuff but worth doing and saved me around £5k to do it myself which was a bonus.:yahoo:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally
just need to spend a week polishing it all.:thumbs up:

I was a bit knocked back last week when I needed to buy a new battery for it .
£180 for a 6v 140Ah battery, hope it last longer than the last one did.:sob:

• Wow
i been wondering how this was progressing- coming along nicely :icon thumright:

Thanks chap.
Its been a bit of a drawn out project, but i didnt have a time frame to be honest.
I didn't realise it had been a couple of years since I started with the engine removal, time sure does fly by.
Just a case of doing whatever is needed really.

At least it is tax and MOT exempt. :yahoo:

Spent the afternoon getting the front grille back on along with the split-folding hood, not easy for just one man, still successful in the end.
Rear brake is stuck on again so i'll have to remove the hub and see what's occurring there, other than that and a light engine tune it's good to again.

happy days.

UMRK7056
JWNB6666

Reactions: Frizzley
Oh dear, looks like standard issue wheel cylinder corrosion here, which may or may not be serviceable..lol
I'll just go with a new one and save all the messing around with it.

ETNE6532