Starter motor odd behaviour - ASN B6 3.0 V6 petrol cabriolet

mr_pepps

Reaction score
Hi all,

Odd trouble lately with the starter motor. Ignition responds as it should, turn the key and the starter motor operates briefly but then stops abruptly of its own accord. Turn the key again and it does the same. Sounds like it's making a few rotations but then just stopping. The car doesn't start when this happens.

After several attempts the car starts and runs fine. And these starting issues don't occur every time.

Could it be battery related? Or the beginning of a failing starter?

I remember on my old A3 1.8T the starter made a high pitched whirring noise on start-up. This was deemed to signify a failing starter - and sure enough it did eventually fail.
In this car that high whirring sound isn't happening, but this being a different starter I wonder if there are any other tell tale signs that a starter motor is about to fail?

Hi all,

Odd trouble lately with the starter motor. Ignition responds as it should, turn the key and the starter motor operates briefly but then stops abruptly of its own accord. Turn the key again and it does the same. Sounds like it's making a few rotations but then just stopping. The car doesn't start when this happens.

After several attempts the car starts and runs fine. And these starting issues don't occur every time.

Could it be battery related? Or the beginning of a failing starter?

I remember on my old A3 1.8T the starter made a high pitched whirring noise on start-up. This was deemed to signify a failing starter - and sure enough it did eventually fail.
In this car that high whirring sound isn't happening, but this being a different starter I wonder if there are any other tell tale signs that a starter motor is about to fail?
Just thought I'd update this in case anyone else has the same issue - this problem was caused by a bad battery earth connection.
I cleaned the contact points and washers/nuts/bolt threads and retightened and the issue was cured.