Stationary police cars on motorway query

scoss

Reaction score
Noticed one on the way home on the other side of the motorway.

Question is can they monitor the 3 lanes that their on or all 6 lanes? Do they have speed cameras as such? Or speed guns?

Thanks

They can't chase you if you are on the other carriage way....

Reactions: KenL
They can't chase you if you are on the other carriage way....

So I take it these are speed guns and they don’t have actual speed cameras on the car?

Would they be able to register your license plate though?

A guy in my work was passing the police on the opposite side of a dual carriageway and there camera on there car registered him doing 90mph and doing a u turn at the next roundabout and caught up with him. Wouldnt worry about it in your case by the sounds of it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
They'd have come after you at the time, you're fine.

What are you getting at?

Was def over 70 at the time. Wanted to clarify just what they had on their cars in terms of camera or speed gun.

Was def over 70 at the time. Wanted to clarify just what they had on their cars in terms of camera or speed gun.

Just speed guns and they would come after you the time for that reason.

I passed a police van today in a 40 zone, apply some maths and add a 4 somewhere in that figure.. didn't bat an eyelid, heart in mouth moment.
Before anybody has a go at me, it's one of those roads with silly low speed limits in the middle of nowhere.

As everyone has said above. Essentially, if the Police vehicle is on the other side of the motorway, then there's not a lot they can do other than radio to another car that might be down the road on your side. Even then, they need to have a reading on their camera in the car which shows you over the limit for a set distance. So you're okay there.

Most of time, when the Police are sat in those emergency bays, they're doing ANPR checks rather than looking for speed related offences. Unless they obviously see someone hoon it past of course.

I've seen a speed camera van parked on a bridge over the M6 with the cameras looking into the traffic passing underneath. Thankfully I too was heading in the other direction ...