Steering Angle Sensor fault, but VCDS can't tell me what it is?

Dylan Johnson

Test123
Reaction score
I had an ABS sensor die on me which I assumed triggered the steering and ESP light, I replaced the ABS wheel speed sensor which fixed the ABS light but the steering wheel and ESP light is still on.

VCDS says this:
1 Fault Found:
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
000 - -

Also in a measuring block for the Steering Angle Sensor it stays at 0 constantly, however the measuring block that measures how fast you turn the wheel works?

I'm going to buy a new sensor but just wanted to know if anyones come across this before.

EDIT: I should also mention the steering is perfectly fine it doesn't go hard at any point.

Try reprogramming the rack, procedure is on vcds iirc.

If still get an error then it's the sensor

Don't know if the problem is solved, but it is usual DTC at system malfunction. After fixing the main cause of it (abs sensor), this can disappear after a short drive test, if not, then simple G85 sensor calibration is needed.
Definitely not steering angle sensor fault.

Don't know if the problem is solved, but it is usual DTC at system malfunction. After fixing the main cause of it (abs sensor), this can disappear after a short drive test, if not, then simple G85 sensor calibration is needed.
Definitely not steering angle sensor fault.

I never had time to drive the car after I replaced the ABS but this morning I tried the test drive and it worked! Both lights went off within 20 seconds of driving.

If it's anything like my MK5 golf you need to rotate the steering wheel lock to lock several times for it to calibrate itself?

However, ABS unit ended up having to be replaced as it was fubar