Steering Fault

Rhyso

Reaction score
At the end of last year I had this flash up on me;

Had the car recovered and my local garage spent a couple of days investigating it but found no fault. Car has driven perfectly since then until it reappeared yesterday.

I’ve taken a look myself and found what appears to be an earth wire?? This was taped up. Anyone have any idea whereabouts it connects too? I was looking at the area in and around the steering rack. I have VCDS but I cannot connect to the steering module probably due to the below images?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :

Fed up of this lockdown; my car is costing me more money sat idle!!

That's pulled out of a housing.as I know that pin end, check for a connector missing a wire around that area.

Reactions: Rhyso
That's pulled out of a housing.as I know that pin end, check for a connector missing a wire around that area.

Thanks

i found it unplugged and taped up :( Had the car 4 years so I can only assume it’s been like that since I’ve owned it?? The car had a replacement rack and gearbox prior to my ownership

I wonder of the connector has come off tbh, sometimes people don't push them fully home & it's possibly come off slowly & finally the connector damaged, hypothesising, but given the state of that.

So the plot thickens......

had my local garage take a look. That earth wire said should just connect back to the body does NOT!! It looks like it was deliberately unplugged and taped up. There appears to be another earth wire that runs right back to the battery. They also mentioned there are 3/4 trigger wires which run into the wing and into the engine bay; maybe one of them is broken??

the fault disappeared on my way there and in hindsight i should left the ignition on as we may have been able to talk to the steering module.

The garage have given me the car back and told me to grab some codes if and when the fault disappears; looks like I’ll be carrying my laptop for the foreseeable unless anyone can shed any further light?

What codes does the steering module show now as it's running, it will have some given it was dead.

Tbh I'd go through all wires to the rack & connection points checking for breaks, connectors loose also check any relay for the rack as I had a loose relay on my fuel pump that exhibited this exact way if acting, pushed it fully home, problem solved.

What codes does the steering module show now as it's running, it will have some given it was dead.

Tbh I'd go through all wires to the rack & connection points checking for breaks, connectors loose also check any relay for the rack as I had a loose relay on my fuel pump that exhibited this exact way if acting, pushed it fully home, problem solved.

I can’t get any codes as it is saying the steering module cannot be reached :(

it was working on my way to the garage, parked it up, turned off the ignition and then it failed again. Have driven it around a bit to see if it will kick back into life but no joy.

that plug you mentioned was disconnected and taped up. The other end should attach to the body by the lower arm but again it was disconnected at that end!

The garage removed the plugs to the rack and cleaned them all up. Have to book it back in as he didn’t have time / space to go through the wiring

it makes no sense that is has been working with that earth wire disconnected