STEERING ISSUE!!!! Help please

Beanz

Turbo Lag Is Foreplay
Reaction score
Hi I have recently fitted new tie rods and track rod ends due to all having play, tracked it up after but driving home I noticed I now have play in my steering wheel and constantly having to correct the steering when driving straight as if there is no steering for about half an inch crossing from left to right so as you could expect rather annoying driving on motor way always having to slightly tilt the steering wheel depending on road camber and wind. It's starting to slightly worry me in case it gets worse any ideas ????

Hi I have recently fitted new tie rods and track rod ends due to all having play, tracked it up after but driving home I noticed I now have play in my steering wheel and constantly having to correct the steering when driving straight as if there is no steering for about half an inch crossing from left to right so as you could expect rather annoying driving on motor way always having to slightly tilt the steering wheel depending on road camber and wind. It's starting to slightly worry me in case it gets worse any ideas ????

Was the tracking done professionally?

Yes It was done by myself at work after fitting the parts, checked for play when I got to work next day and nothing everything is tight just very confusing as it felt fine before I changed parts as it was on the off chance I checked the wheels for play when checking exhaust

Ah ok sounds like you know what you're doing.

Were the tie rods and ball joints original audi or pattern? I've had trouble with the steering before on an A3 where my garage fitted pattern parts.

Liam

Pattern as the company I work for is linked to a motor factors but if there's no play in parts fitted why would I get play now I'm thinking knuckle joint in steering column but why now after new parts fitted ? plus I measured them and matched them to old parts removed as well so proper confused I can live with it but gets more noticeable at speed

thanks rob

Its either the knuckle or the rack.. Id have thought on a ramp with full access it would be fairly easy to spot if someones in the car shaking the steering?

Its either the knuckle or the rack.. Id have thought on a ramp with full access it would be fairly easy to spot if someones in the car shaking the steering?

checked it but could not spend to long looking as had jobs in lol

Is it safe to be driving your car in this condition on the motorway?

Hope you get it sorted quickly mate, but I'm concerned that you're still driving around with it as it is.

Hi mate, would you describe the car as feeling "skittish" now? And does your steering at low speeds sort of "judder", like it doesn't flow smoothly back to straight after cornering but sort of stutters back?

Is it safe to be driving your car in this condition on the motorway?

Hope you get it sorted quickly mate, but I'm concerned that you're still driving around with it as it is.

The car is still safe to drive as it feels like a track rod end has play but it has not thats it, not got any worse and only does it when steering wheel is straight going straight a friend had a look today and thinks its the rack but i want to be sure and yes it does feel a bit juddery but think its my front discs not sure thanks for comments

rob

Hi, did you get to the bottom of your problems as I'm having the same sort of issues, and mine is getting worse, feels very floaty on the front end