Steering wheel lock column disabling help?

castiello

Reaction score
Hello there, a quick one...

Have you ever come across disabling steering wheel lock mechanism? I changed mine for a new one, then when second one broke down also, i had it repaired and now, year after, the problem is back again... I am not willing to pay even single buck to anybody again. I just need to disable it, it already cost me small fortune, that i could invest for example into MMI 3G plus retrofit, with no final solution. Still, this problems keeps repeating...

I read some article about disconnecting pin19 (if im correct - just a feedback pin) from steering wheel lock unit. Is it correct? Or do you know about any other solution please? Its really annoying unlocking it by VAG everytime I want to start a car... Also some guy one told me about soldering a diode somewhere on on pcb of that column... but I lost contact on him...

I am so desperate that I am ready to send anybody some money for just a hint how to disable the column once and for all... I have VAG, VAS, AVDI and KESS at my disposal... Also I can solder, wire, cut, anything with electronics... I just need a hint how to solve it...

So any good help appreciated...

Hi Castiello, I'm having the steering lock issue on my Q7. Did you find a way to disable the steering lock?

Hello, actually yes. If you can send me photo of The steering wheel lock unit a can point you how to figure it out.

Thanks for replying. I haven't removed the unit from the car. I was thinking there is a software programming solution to this issue, using VAG or some other software. I have the 00288 - Steering Column Lock Actuator (N360) issue. Was yours the same or something else?

Well, thats The case. Also you do not need to remove The unit - its (at least in my case) mounted by tear-off screws.

I have found no software-only solution. Had to mechanically disable The steering wheel lock. But from that, all is working with no problem.

What's involved in mechanically disabling it? Is it just disconnecting pin 19, or is there more to it? Also, which car did you have? I've heard some people trying different things on the Q7 but nothing working apart from rebuild of the access control module and steering lock motor. I was looking for a simpler solution. Hoping yours would be the one, but afraid that I don't stuff up anything else.

Actually disconnecting The pin 19 didnt help for me. But i found by myself, that there is also another connector, large (3 thick wires). There you need to 1. Unlock The steering and clear The fault

2. disconnect The red thick wire from that connector.

and puf... work done.

i tryed it on my A6 2008, friends Q7 2007 and its The same procedure.

Hello, can you send me a photo to my inbox? Not sure regarding the colors, but can tell you from the photo.

This is all very mission impossible/bond

DO I CUT THE RED OR BLUE WIRE!?!?!?!? :coldsweat::coldsweat::coldsweat:

Reactions: LangChop
At the european Q7 4L you have to disconnect the red and black wire - make sure that the steering column is not locked before disconnecting the wire.

Hi I have had the same issue with the steering lock.
Can someone help me getting this disabled permanently.