Steering wheel vibration!!!

Cra16v

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 2007 S3, after hearing and reading that the racks wear out on 8p's I'm after some advice. I have a low speed knock from somewhere usually when changing going forwards to reverse and vice versa, the next symptom I'm not sure about at motorway speeds 70-80 in a straight line is fine no vibration but as soon as any steering wheel movement is applied it vibrates quite ferocious , I haven't had chance to go under and have a look but have shoved my hand under and carnt feel play in cv's, drop links, steering arms or the engine mounts, is this leading to the rack been shot?? Any help appreciated many thanks

The tolerances are too tight to check just by sticking your hand under

Obviously check wheel balancing and alignments and then look at suspension items in turn from there

The low speed knock could be the famous subframe knock , google it there is plenty of info on it

Check condition and torque on wheel nuts too

if its when you change direction from back to front have you checked the calipiers are tight. knock could be the pads going from one end to the other in the caliper or if its loose could be the caliper rocking on the bolts. this could also cause quite a pluse on the brakes giving a vibration. just a thought to check. or like above its something that is loaded once steering loads applied. track rod ends etc need checking. bushes on a arms poss.

Hi there. Cra16v I have the same year s3 as you and the same symptoms. Did you manage to sort the problem? I was going to try new tie rods followed by rack if needs be