Sticky brakes..

pburv

Reaction score
Not sure if it's been discussed before but every time there is any hint of rain the brakes on my car make an awful noise when I set off..It's quite embarrassing when people look round at my car when the rear discs release with a loud 'clunk'....What experience do you guys have ? and what do you recommend to stop this happening....
Cheers :friends:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Simon L and Rob2k68
Hmm if I wash mine like properly jetwash so lots of water on the discs then park it up over the weekend it will do this on the Monday. Sounds like yours is with much less water and more frequent ?

Reactions: Jassyo06, Daveotto, pburv and 1 other person
Nope never had that Paul, not even after jet-washing them........................someone's bound to know though...........................:whistle2:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and pburv
Hmm if I wash mine like properly jetwash so lots of water on the discs then park it up over the weekend it will do this on the Monday. Sounds like yours is with much less water and more frequent ?
Yep every time there is rain it does it..****** annoying..Was wondering if pressing the brake button a few times would be the answer?

Reactions: Rob2k68
Nope never had that Paul, not even after jet-washing them........................someone's bound to know though...........................:whistle2:
Cheers Simon..:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
There is a fix. But for the life of me I can't remember what it is. Think it's something to do with copper greasing the calipers. Mines was doing it till I put it in for service in March and mentioned it. Hasn't done it since and it's rained heavily up here A LOT since then.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
It rained for an hour yesterday at work in the morning.By the time I finished work 7 hours later they did this....Grrrrr

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Scottyg
There is a fix. But for the life of me I can't remember what it is. Think it's something to do with copper greasing the calipers. Mines was doing it till I put it in for service in March and mentioned it. Hasn't done it since and it's rained heavily up here A LOT since then.
That sounds like a good fix Scotty...Thanks:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Scottyg
My Insignia (three cars ago) did this badly and it was the same fix. :friends:

My Insignia (three cars ago) did this badly and it was the same fix. :friends:
I will ask the guys across the road from my workplace to sort it for me...They owe me a favour or two..lol
will let you know how I get on..:salute:

Reactions: Scottyg and Rob2k68

Mine does the same after jet washing, but not after "normal" heavy rain.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
None of these symptoms mate sorry but l am sure a wee phone call to your local uber friendly Audi dealership will go a bit of the way to resolving your issue.

None of these symptoms mate sorry but l am sure a wee phone call to your local uber friendly Audi dealership will go a bit of the way to resolving your issue.
Cheers buddy...I will give the guys across the road from my works a shout first failing that Audi will be getting a call from me...:friends:

All my cars do it, bit of surface rust on the brakes is all it is, which quickly cleans off as soon as the pads touch them. Couple of dabs of the anchors as I reverse off and all is well.

Only way to resolve is to fit aftermarket discs made from a different material I believe. Which is a bit excessive....LOL

Well the brakes are getting sorted as I type this. All done free of charge:yahoo:
Hopefully no more clunking brakes.
Thanks everyone for all your helpfull input..:friends:

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Well the brakes are getting sorted as I type this. All done free of charge:yahoo:
Hopefully no more clunking brakes.
Thanks everyone for all your helpfull input..:friends:

Excellent news mate - what's the fix ?

Reactions: pburv
Excellent news mate - what's the fix ?
Copper grease behind the pads and on the rails of the carriers.Hopefully that will sort it :yes:

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Copper grease behind the pads and on the rails of the carriers.Hopefully that will sort it :yes:

All's well that ends well ol kiddy :)

All's well that ends well ol kiddy :)
Cheers 'grandadio'.....:whistle2:
Just need it to rain now and find out if my freebie fix was worth the effort...lol

good stuff!
OT here
is there a easy way to see peoples cars to the profile name? IIRC there used to be a section somewhere on the profile 'garage' where you can easily see and put a name to the car? i know there is a section 'post your pics of your cars' but dont want to trawl through pages and pages

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv
Sorry can't help you with your question ras..
Here is a picture of my car...:friends:
DSC 0411

Reactions: zippster, Daytonapig, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Very very nice