Stolen Audi's

I may be being a bit stupid but would it not be a good idea to invest in a reinforced front door if you can afford a £50K car, I know they could still come in through the window but that would draw more attention and usually they want to be in and out quickly and as quietly as possible.

Been there 3 years ago this month.

Car nicked off my drive, broke into house to get the keys whilst I was at work (get train into work). Car was spotted as 'get away vehicle' from attempted theft of A8. Car later recovered in West London along with another Audi and 2 BMWs. Gang arrested and sent down.

I've learnt:
Monitored alarm on the house
Tracker in my cars
All spare keys locked in safe at work.

Still pondering about installing CCTV as well.

Ultimately, if they want your car, they will get it. All you can do is make it inconvenient, noisy and dangerous for them to do so, and hope they go somewhere else. Ultimately, it is just a piece of metal and not worth endangering your life for.

A friend of my brother had his M3 stolen three times before he gave up and downgraded to a cheaper car. Even when it was parked behind locked solid steel gates, they just cut through the hinges with a Stihl saw.

We fit Phantom trackers at my work.

To test them we have to wheel the vans outside the workshop cos the recieving centre can't pick up a signal from the device when they're inside.

Which is a bit crap.

We do Phantom, which are pony.

They're £400 fitted then £99 a year subscription fee.

They start around £400 for a basic one and then about £100 a year subscription or £300 for lifetime.

Nasty stuff, about 4/5 years ago, my dad has his BMW330 stolen off the drive way, they hooked the keys through the letter box, keys weren't even right next to the letter box, so was quite a long pole, with some pole & hook thing, then drove off! Didn't even break into the house!

Police found car about a week later parked up, ******** the suspension & kerbed all the alloys.

How do trackers work in the below:

You report your car stolen. They activate the tracker, but the car is in a garage somewhere.

(1) Can they track the last place they were getting a signal from the tracker?
(2) Will an alarm or prompt happen at the Tracking Companies side once they get a signal again.
(3) Do the tracking companies constantly track the vehical at all times. That way if it was nicked and stuck in a lock up they would know where the last signal was from.

Traker do a live GPS version where they can track live in real time and follow you car being driven on a large map in their hq.

It is only a certain type of building where a signal is lost and most places are covered ie containers,garages etc

Trouble is, if they're in a metal building the tracker can't communicate (faraday cage effect) like when you go to Ikea and can't get signal on your mobile.
Wether they monitor all the time and can tell you the last place it was detected, I don't know?

Beerzo said:
How do trackers work in the below:

You report your car stolen. They activate the tracker, but the car is in a garage somewhere.

(1) Can they track the last place they were getting a signal from the tracker?
(2) Will an alarm or prompt happen at the Tracking Companies side once they get a signal again.
(3) Do the tracking companies constantly track the vehical at all times. That way if it was nicked and stuck in a lock up they would know where the last signal was from.

When the cars is moved without the movment sensor being disarmed its activated and then alerts the tracker company that the car has been moved, possibly illegally, dependent on which system you have thay will either contact you by text or phone and confirm if the car has been stolen, if it is confirmed by you the car has been moved illegally, they will alert the police, in the relevant area, who will be able to track the car to a location, clever stuff really, its been used on comany vehicle for years especially cash handling companies.

it makes a huge differenc to your insurance too. There is a thing with some of the companies that they guarentee to get your car back, check the TRACKER web site, well worth the money IMO

Biglockie said:
When the cars is moved without the movment sensor being disarmed its activated and then alerts the tracker company that the car has been moved, possibly illegally, dependent on which system you have thay will either contact you by text or phone and confirm if the car has been stolen, if it is confirmed by you the car has been moved illegally, they will alert the police, in the relevant area, who will be able to track the car to a location, clever stuff really, its been used on comany vehicle for years especially cash handling companies.

it makes a huge differenc to your insurance too. There is a thing with some of the companies that they guarentee to get your car back, check the TRACKER web site, well worth the money IMO

Only the mid-range system does this (called TRACKER Retrieve from memory) - which is the one I've got. With the cheapest basic system you still have to tell them it has been stolen.

Beerzo said:
How do trackers work

It's all done with smoke, mirrors and pulleys mate.

Very technical.

jcs356 said:
Only the mid-range system does this (called TRACKER Retrieve from memory) - which is the one I've got. With the cheapest basic system you still have to tell them it has been stolen.

Its the one i've been looking into, does it make much differenc to your insurance???

TBH it didn't make any difference - even having made a claim for theft. None of the places I've had quotes on have insisted on any upgraded security.